The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 04-09-2021, 09:48 AM

Thumbs up Fingerstyle Guitar Tutorial | AWESOME Fingerpicking Exercises

Hello everyone, hope you’re having a great week so far!

This weeks tutorial is on fingerstyle guitar technique. In this video I’m going to show you a nice chord progression and 6 different right hand exercises. Even if you’re pretty comfortable with the fingerpicking technique, it’s always a good idea to practice the basics and maybe you’ll also learn a few beautiful chords

I’m using my acoustic guitar for the video, but you can obviously play these exercises on an electric as well!

Thank you very much for watching and have a great weekend
Old 04-09-2021, 08:10 PM

Thanks for posting. I can’t wait to give these a try tomorrow morning.
Old 04-10-2021, 08:00 AM
Charter Member

Feodor, thanks for posting your tutorial. I just viewed it and find it very well constructed and presented. I particularly appreciate the musical notation that appears below the video. I read music, but not on the guitar. The ability to follow the notes as you play them will definitely help me to make the association with fingering.

I also appreciate your choice of elegant, even if simple, chords. I practice finger style with a book of arpeggios. It is good. But it is not musical. Playing the chords in your video moves away from the concept of a simple drill, and enters the realm of composition. And that is far more interesting and engaging. I will look forward to you other submissions and thank you for your efforts.
David
Old 04-12-2021, 04:24 AM

Thanks
wish I'd come accross exercises like that decades ago. I think it's all too easy for novice guitarists to come to see basic triads as the 'proper' chords to practice on as I once did, but altered chords using open strings can be easier to play and have a haunting quality sometimes mimicking the sounds of open tunings.
Old 04-12-2021, 05:48 AM
Charter Member

Very nice. Subscribed.
Old 04-15-2021, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antvas1963 View Post
Thanks for posting. I can’t wait to give these a try tomorrow morning.
Thank you! How is it going so far?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deliberate1 View Post
Feodor, thanks for posting your tutorial. I just viewed it and find it very well constructed and presented. I particularly appreciate the musical notation that appears below the video. I read music, but not on the guitar. The ability to follow the notes as you play them will definitely help me to make the association with fingering.

I also appreciate your choice of elegant, even if simple, chords. I practice finger style with a book of arpeggios. It is good. But it is not musical. Playing the chords in your video moves away from the concept of a simple drill, and enters the realm of composition. And that is far more interesting and engaging. I will look forward to you other submissions and thank you for your efforts.
David
Thank you very much for your feedback! Yeah, I try to focus every tutorial of mine on musical examples, even if the goal is to practice some sort of technique. I'm glad you liked it and found the lesson useful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyrondack View Post
Thanks
wish I'd come accross exercises like that decades ago. I think it's all too easy for novice guitarists to come to see basic triads as the 'proper' chords to practice on as I once did, but altered chords using open strings can be easier to play and have a haunting quality sometimes mimicking the sounds of open tunings.
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
Very nice. Subscribed.
Thank you very much!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Tags
fingerstyle, fingerstyle guitar lesson, taylor guitars