The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 01-02-2023, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
What materials are the back and sides?
Enya and the Asian makers of similar instruments use polycarbonate reinforced with 30-40% short carbon fibres. The technology comes from the automotive and aerospace industries.

The material comes in pellets that are melted and injected into closed molds. This process avoids the higher labour and materials cost of carbon fibre cloth fabrication.

Enya uses carbon fibre cloth for the X4 soundboard to achieve good tone, and uses the polycarbonate mix on the back and sides where material is less critical. This is a good decision that allows excellent affordability. Similar to guitars with excellent spruce soundboards on laminated back and sides.

The Enya Go guitars, Enya NexG guitars, and Enya ukuleles use polycarbonate mix for all parts. It sounds good on the smaller ukuleles, but less lively on the Enya Go and NexG guitars. (I’d love to buy an Enya Go with carbon fibre cloth soundboard).

Typical specs:
https://www.matweb.com/search/DataSh...bcec36ff2afd7f

Cheers.
2014 Fender Concert Pro (New Hartford) - red spruce, mahogany

Last edited by casualmusic; 01-02-2023 at 12:07 PM.
Old 01-02-2023, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
Enya now has a 36-inch-length travel-style guitar. The following link worked yesterday to bring viewers to the 36-inch X4 Mini page but the link now takes us to the regular Enya X4 Pro page. Maybe the the 36-inch Mini which was In Stock yesterday got sold out or actually wasn't yet available for sale and Enya/Amazon removed the X4 Mini page? Enya Carbon Fiber Acoustic Electric Guitar X4 Pro Mini AcousticPlus 36” 3/4-Sized Guitar Bundle with Hard Case, Leather Strap, Instrument Cable & USB Type-C Charging Cable(X4 PRO MINI)

I’m very interested in the X4 Mini for a practice and travel guitar. Perhaps the lack of cutaway will allow Enya to make righty and lefty guitars from the same mold (like the RainSong dreads and jumbos).

The carbon fibre cloth soundboard ought to give a better tone than the polycarbonate composite soundboard on the Enya Go.

BTW:
- The bigger X4-pro would be perfect for my outdoor needs except that I already have an excellent RainSong dread. Debating whether to get the X4 for rough and riskier uses.
- The X4-mini overlaps my CA Cargo so may be able to release the Cargo.

Cheers.
2014 Fender Concert Pro (New Hartford) - red spruce, mahogany
Old 01-02-2023, 01:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by casualmusic View Post
Enya and the Asian makers of similar instruments use polycarbonate reinforced with 30-40% short carbon fibres. The technology comes from the automotive and aerospace industries.

The material comes in pellets that are melted and injected into closed molds. This process avoids the higher labour and materials cost of carbon fibre cloth fabrication.

Enya uses carbon fibre cloth for the X4 soundboard to achieve good tone, and uses the polycarbonate mix on the back and sides where material is less critical. This is a good decision that allows excellent affordability. Similar to guitars with excellent spruce soundboards on laminated back and sides.

The Enya Go guitars, Enya NexG guitars, and Enya ukuleles use polycarbonate mix for all parts. It sounds good on the smaller ukuleles, but less lively on the Enya Go and NexG guitars. (I’d love to buy an Enya Go with carbon fibre cloth soundboard).

Typical specs:
https://www.matweb.com/search/DataSh...bcec36ff2afd7f

Cheers.
Thanks for this CM! This information just raises my satisfaction with my Enya X4 Pro AcousticPlus as being a well-made carbon fiber/composite guitar the quality of which greatly exceeds its low price. That new Enya X4 Mini is on my radar for when it comes around again for sale on Amazon.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 01-13-2023, 12:25 AM

I'm really surprised at how good this guitar sounds! Even next to my Sable!!!

I've noticed one issue with it though. I'd like to hear if anyone else is experiencing this. I plugged it into my JBL Compact and the hiss was ridiculous. I then changed the input from mic to line and it was fine. BUT, if I use the onboard reverb, there's a noticeable hiss after the reverb fades. I'm also hearing it when using the reverb when it's not plugged in, but it's not as pronounced.

Anyone else??
Old 01-13-2023, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRM View Post
Well I've had a few days with X4 Pro and like Sprucetop said it comes packed well and mine came with the action set almost to my liking. And I have found that it sounds just fine digging in with my strumming. I know Jack will be fine with his HPL but others might not. I could not find one flaw on the case or guitar. It is a little heavy and really if you look at the girl walking with the case on her back until she finds a place to sit down to play I'm sure she was out of breath by the time she got there....lol This will serve the purpose for what I bought it for. I am sure Retro's will work well with the X4 Pro. I am happy with my purchase of $599.00 for this guitar.
I thought my Sable was heavy at over 5lbs, but this one is really heavy at 6.2lbs.
Old 01-13-2023, 09:15 AM

I realized that some here are very happy with their X4's, but if you check out the reviews on Amazon there's quite a lot of negative reviews that mention various issues some folks have out there. I would definitely buy only through Amazon, so you could return it if you got a lemon. Only 68% give it 5 stars and that's not great.

Last edited by JackB1; 01-13-2023 at 12:30 PM.
Old 01-13-2023, 09:45 AM
Charter Member

Hi Jack I combine the 5 and 4 star reviews to come to my decisions when buying anything and If you do that with this guitar it comes out to 80 percent of the people buying are happy with what they bought. I really don't know why your even posting in this thread with no first hand experience with the X4 Pro other than to discourage others......Sorry but I just don't get your motive.

Last edited by CRM; 01-13-2023 at 10:17 AM.
Old 01-13-2023, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRM View Post
Hi Jack I combine the 5 and 4 star reviews to come to my decisions when buying anything and If you do that with this guitar it comes out to 80 percent of the people buying are happy with what they bought. I really don't know why your even posting in this thread with no first hand experience with the X4 Pro other than to discourage others......Sorry but I just don't get your motive.
I'm not trying to discourage anyone. I'm trying to present all sides for folks that might be on the fence like I was. There's some pretty concerning issues that have been mentioned and folks deserve to know. Yes I don't have first hand experience and that's why I read about others experience. As with any product, there are Pros and Cons and it's up to the consumer to weigh them and decide. I know it's not "en vogue" to post anything remotely negative these days, but I'm just sharing what I've read. These aren't MY thoughts.
Old 01-13-2023, 01:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
I know it's not "en vogue" to post anything remotely negative these days
Unless it’s about Guitar Center, of course
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 01-13-2023, 02:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I'm really surprised at how good this guitar sounds! Even next to my Sable!!!

I've noticed one issue with it though. I'd like to hear if anyone else is experiencing this. I plugged it into my JBL Compact and the hiss was ridiculous. I then changed the input from mic to line and it was fine. BUT, if I use the onboard reverb, there's a noticeable hiss after the reverb fades. I'm also hearing it when using the reverb when it's not plugged in, but it's not as pronounced.

Anyone else??
Hi David glad you are enjoying it!

I am not experiencing the reverb noise when plugged in as you described and I am quite sensitive to noise in pickups

However I have noticed that the output is super hot and that i pretty much need to have the volume control set at 9 o'clock or so for good tone.
Old 01-13-2023, 04:03 PM
Charter Member

I still consider the Enya X4 Pro AcousticPlus to be a wonderful value and if I didn't know its price range I could see paying twice what I paid for mine.

I don't hear any issues with the reverb on my Enya X4 Pro. Something to keep in mind though as I've mentioned in my other reviews of this ax is that as the RECHARGEABLE battery losses power after several hours of playing time (5 to 8 maybe), the AcousticPlus system when played acoustically only loses its strength as an acoustic-only effect. When you hear the acoustic-only effects become rather anemic, it's time to charge the battery. You can, however, play on longer when plugged in as there isn't any battery power being used to drive the actuator device.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5

Last edited by SpruceTop; 01-13-2023 at 04:22 PM.
Old 01-13-2023, 04:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
I realized that some here are very happy with their X4's, but if you check out the reviews on Amazon there's quite a lot of negative reviews that mention various issues some folks have out there. I would definitely buy only through Amazon, so you could return it if you got a lemon. Only 68% give it 5 stars and that's not great.
Jack, remember my earlier post when I mentioned that after reading some of the Enya X4 Pro reviews that some reviewers don't have a clue about what the features are for on this guitar? 1 11/16-inch nut-width aside, the only way you're going to know if you like this ax or not is to order one and give it a try. If you don't like it, return it for a refund but at least you'll have had first-hand experience with one.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Old 01-13-2023, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Jack, remember my earlier post when I mentioned that after reading some of the Enya X4 Pro reviews that some reviewers don't have a clue about what the features are for on this guitar? 1 11/16-inch nut-width aside, the only way you're going to know if you like this ax or not is to order one and give it a try. If you don't like it, return it for a refund but at least you'll have had first-hand experience with one.
Nah I'm good . Got enough guitars for now

TBH...11/16 nut aside...something about the tone that I've heard in ALL the videos turns me off. It sounds overly loud and brash and very "non-wood" like, if that's a word. If I liked the tone, I would consider it.
Old 01-14-2023, 12:49 PM

Quote:
I still consider the Enya X4 Pro AcousticPlus to be a wonderful value and if I didn't know its price range I could see paying twice what I paid for mine.

I don't hear any issues with the reverb on my Enya X4 Pro. Something to keep in mind though as I've mentioned in my other reviews of this ax is that as the RECHARGEABLE battery losses power after several hours of playing time (5 to 8 maybe), the AcousticPlus system when played acoustically only loses its strength as an acoustic-only effect. When you hear the acoustic-only effects become rather anemic, it's time to charge the battery. You can, however, play on longer when plugged in as there isn't any battery power being used to drive the actuator device.

The hiss after the reverb fades (play and then stop the strings. Listen as the reverb fade and turns to hiss) was with a newly charged battery.
Old 01-14-2023, 01:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
The hiss after the reverb fades (play and then stop the strings. Listen as the reverb fade and turns to hiss) was with a newly charged battery.
Tried it on mine with the volume a little higher than normal and maxed on both reverb types set on full mic blend.

This is what I get (and I don't hear a hiss)

https://on.soundcloud.com/gRBpb

I also tried it in the mic input on my boss accoustic singer live

There was hiss when I was plugged in with phantom power on (oops) and no pad but no difference playing / not playing or after reverb.

When I hit the pad switch and killed the phantom power the noise floor was great

Last edited by Aspiring; 01-14-2023 at 02:18 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber