The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-16-2022, 06:02 PM

Default Recommendations for sturdy Parlor Gig-bag/Case?

Hi,

I have a Recording King RPS-11-FE3-TBR Parlor guitar. (GREAT GUItAR) I'm trying to find a good, protective case for it without spending more than $75.

Ideally, I'd like a case with stiff foam on the outside with softer foam on the inside. or something like that - more than just 8mm of poly foam.

Any input? I don't gig, or take it out of the house - but I need to put it away occasionally to protect it from kids.

A gig bag would be okay - if it provided decent protection. I was hoping to find something used for cheap, but no luck.

Thoughts? Everything is so expensive.....!!!!!~
Old 06-16-2022, 06:52 PM
Charter Member

I’ve never found a decent gig bag under $75
Old 06-16-2022, 07:23 PM
Charter Member

Check out Access Cases. 25mm of foam and stiffened sides. About $75. https://www.elderly.com/products/acc...26854146932800
Good, solid protection.
Hope this helps.

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 06-16-2022, 07:44 PM

My 0 size Seagull came used in a Road Runner Gig bag that works well and seems to be in the price range you are looking for. Has padding and good pockets including a big one for a cable. It's a decent zip up bag for packing the little guitar around. Not a case but good enough for my Seagull.
Old 06-17-2022, 10:31 AM

Look for an inexpensive hard case, since it sounds like the travel advantages of a gig bag aren't a factor for you. "Parlor" guitars are different body sizes, but a generic classic guitar case may fit, or may be "just a bit too big" -- and in that "just a bit too large" situation, you can use an old clean, rolled up towel or something to fill out the gap.

Maybe whatever Musician's Friend has cheap with a coupon around July 4th? Or a used case if you have stores that sell those. My classical is still in a MF housebrand case that cost around your upper limit when on sale.

Much more protective from kids!

If you must have gig bag utility and kid protection, the rigid foam TRIC cases are good, but over $100 even on sale. Great case for my Seagull Folk 00 sized guitar.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 06-17-2022, 10:53 AM

Default Recommendations for sturdy Parlor Gig-bag/Case?

I’m not sure if it’s what you are looking for, but I use inexpensive Chromacast gig bags for my 00 guitars. They work great for keeping the guitar sealed up in the house and for gigging. As with any gig bag, one must always be extra careful that nothing falls on them in the car and nothing is bumped. And, for airplane travel, they are not suitably protective. But, otherwise they are lightweight and a great inexpensive gig bag.

QM aka “Jazzman” Jeff

Last edited by QuestionMark; 06-18-2022 at 02:12 PM.
Old 06-17-2022, 10:59 AM

I've got gig bags made by Breedlove, Martin & Taylor, and the Taylor bags are far superior to the others. Sweetwater sells Taylor gig bags, and if one will fit your parlor you would probably spend in the $50-60 range for one of them.
Old 06-18-2022, 08:21 AM

Thanks!!!!
Old 06-18-2022, 08:24 AM

Talking Recording King guidance for Parlor Gig Bag

On Jun 17, 2022, at 11:54 AM, Recording King <[email protected]> wrote:

Hi Ken,

Got this response from RK customer service. Thanks to everyone who replied.

----------------
Thanks for choosing Recording King!

Here are the Guardian and Recording King Bags and cases that we know will fit along with the guitar dimensions to make shopping for alternatives that will fit easier. Listed from Highest to Lowest price.

Instrument Total Length Body Length Lower Bout Upper Bout Depth Case
RPS-11-FE3-TBR 39.5" 20-1/2 13-3/4 9-3/4 4-1/4 CG-044-O (Guardian Case)
CG-044K-O (Recording King Case)
CG-033-O (Guardian Case)
CG-250K-P (Recording King Bag)
CG-205-O (Guardian Bag
Old 06-22-2022, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmckenna45 View Post
Hi,

I have a Recording King RPS-11-FE3-TBR Parlor guitar. (GREAT GUItAR) I'm trying to find a good, protective case for it without spending more than $75.

Ideally, I'd like a case with stiff foam on the outside with softer foam on the inside. or something like that - more than just 8mm of poly foam.

Any input? I don't gig, or take it out of the house - but I need to put it away occasionally to protect it from kids.

A gig bag would be okay - if it provided decent protection. I was hoping to find something used for cheap, but no luck.

Thoughts? Everything is so expensive.....!!!!!~
I have the same guitar, well the one they released before yours. The RP-A9 or something.

Mine fits in all of my classical guitar cases.

I'd recommend buying a classical guitar gig bag, or one of those hard foam ones you can get from Gator and so on. The European retailer Thomann has one for $39. I've got one of their hard foam cases, not much between it and the one from Gator I once owned, and the Gator is a bit more expensive.

No idea how much shipping is to the USA though.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
case, gig bag, gig bags, parlor, parlor guitar