The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-21-2017, 12:56 PM

Default Martin D-28 (2017) Review

Full-bodied tone is at the heart of Martin’s new D-28.

Vintage looks and a modern neck combine with forward-shifted bracing to create an even higher standard for the classic rosewood dreadnought.

“It is an invigorated version of the classic D-28. When a player wants to dig in and drive the top, it can get quite throaty and even growly. And yet, light fingerpicking sounds buoyant and cheerfully expressive. On the whole, the D-28 (2017) is one particularly versatile Martin, with a new kind of dreadnought voice, even if it is made to look more like a vintage D-28 than its predecessor.”

Best Sound in 1080P HD setting

Read The Full Review Here

"With its retro styling and ultra-modern neck, the new 2017 model is a souped up enhancement of the straight-braced D-28, given a more powerful engine, with a roomier interior."
Old 07-21-2017, 04:03 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Great review, Spoon. Love the sound of that beauty...though I knew I was going to have to have one as soon as I heard about the 1 3/4" nut and tapered neck. The same specs I love on my new D-18.

So I finally cracked and ordered one this morning. Maury says the current ETA is mid-September. So the wait begins...and the worse part is now I have to sell my CEO-7.

Old 07-21-2017, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Roy View Post
Great review, Spoon. Love the sound of that beauty...though I knew I was going to have to have one as soon as I heard about the 1 3/4" nut and tapered neck. The same specs I love on my new D-18.

So I finally cracked and ordered one this morning. Maury says the current ETA is mid-September. So the wait begins...and the worse part is now I have to sell my CEO-7.
Mines on order as well! Can't wait!
Old 07-21-2017, 05:31 PM
Charter Member

Wow, that guitar sounds better and better every time I hear it! I'm so glad I ordered mine early last week, the delivery time is supposed to be September/October as Jon at MFG told me last week when I placed my order.
Martin J-40 Adi custom 2018
Martin OM-28 Adi Gruhn Special
McPherson Sable
Fender American Professional II Telecaster
Fender American Professional II Stratocaster
Northfield Big Mon Engleman top
Northfield Big Mon Adirondack top
Companion custom woody banjo
Fender '68 custom Vibro Champ Reverb amp
Old 07-21-2017, 10:52 PM

Yep, stunningly beautiful guitar.
Old 07-21-2017, 11:13 PM

Love the reviews, Spoon. Another great Martin, it seems. Must be tough to have to review all those great guitars!
Old 07-22-2017, 04:35 AM
Charter Member

While I like the playing, I kind of like when Spoon starts with the mouth watering description of the wood and aesthetics of the particular guitar he is reviewing!
Old 07-22-2017, 08:55 AM

I have to say that I'm intrigued. While I like that they kept some of the "classic" appointments such as open back tuning machines and the diamond volute I am still unimpressed by the white binding (which I'm sorry does not look "antique") and the "aging toner" (which to me has all the appeal of a spray tan.) What I really like is that the bracing is now forward-shifted and can't wait to try one out. I'm hoping that my local dealer gets one in soon so that I can try it alongside the D-18, HD-28 and HD-35 they had hanging on their wall last week.

I have no reservations about any impending purchase or additional GAS pangs that I haven't already had to deal with over the years. I just like to kick the tires.
Old 08-16-2017, 05:33 PM

Can't wait. Ordered one from LA Guitar Sales today. ETA mid September.
Old 08-16-2017, 07:35 PM

Angelic Spoon. Thanks. If I hadn't picked up a new D-28 Authentic earlier this year I would be all over one of those. Winner, winner chicken dinner.
Old 08-16-2017, 07:46 PM

Would be great to hear one compared to the HD-28V or HD-28E Retro.
Old 08-16-2017, 09:03 PM

Default Martin D-28 (2017) Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic View Post
Would be great to hear one compared to the HD-28V or HD-28E Retro.

My best guess is that it will sound like the Retro and vice versa. The Retro is scalloped, but not that heavily, evidently. I think they want more feedback resistance with that model, so they make it more balanced. The HD28V is a big bass boomer in comparison. I'd be interested to hear Todd's opinion.
Old 08-16-2017, 09:47 PM

"buoyant and cheerfully expressive"

Seriously?

Dang. Almost makes me want to check one out.
Old 08-16-2017, 10:26 PM

It's got most of the specs that I would want (forward shifted X-bracing, 1 3/4" nut width, wider string spacing, vintage toner). Sure is appealing. I really love Martins. Dreadnaught size has mostly lost its appeal to me, though, in recent years. The OM28V did that to me. That said, I still like to have one! . I might wish for scalloped bracing - for more response from finger-style playing, but that is an awesome D-28 in any event.

Last edited by DHart; 08-16-2017 at 10:36 PM.
Old 08-16-2017, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHart View Post
It's got most of the specs that I would want (forward shifted X-bracing, 1 3/4" nut width, wider string spacing, vintage toner). Sure is appealing. I really love Martins. Dreadnaught size has mostly lost its appeal to me, though, in recent years. The OM28V did that to me. That said, I still like to have one! . I might wish for scalloped bracing - for more response from finger-style playing, but that is an awesome D-28 in any event.
You can always wait, get a used one at a good price, and ship it off to Brian Kimsey and have him 'Kimseyfy' it.

Boom!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
d-28, forward-shifted bracing, martin