The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-03-2022, 05:36 PM

OP if you're still looking I have a Furch 12-string for sale
Old 05-04-2022, 11:00 PM

I've had lots of 12 strings over the last 50 years.
Mostly Taylors . . . following their technology curve over the years.
They are all great. Notably the 555, K65ce and 562ce which are all extremely different. The mahogany jumbo Taylors got Kottke back into 12 strings and lead to the LKSM mentioned previously.

As I get older, the 12 fret Taylor 12 strings are perfect for me. Easy playing and they sound great.

I currently have the 362ce 12 fret 12 string with V class (mahogany/blackwood).

There are lots of opinions on V class but my ears are really attuned to the Taylor 12 string sound. The V class definitely has more sustain and better intonation (and I had no complaints on any Taylor before). It is most noticeable when using a capo and also how quickly the strobosoft tuner 'grabs' the string tune (if that makes sense to anyone).

The 362ce is one of the new models that uses only 6 bridge pins (2 strings per). I first heard of this on a Martin six string conversion that David Crosby did decades ago but I'm sure it has been around elsewhere. Taylor did it to get a more uniform string angle over the saddle, which is also compensated in a wave pattern.

I've had a number of Taylor ES guitars. The back of the saddle piezo on this ES2 (with gen 2 preamp) sounds great to me and is a simple system and adjustable by the end user.

The finish is satin but it is very nice. Wonderful fit and finish as have all my Taylors been. Taylor has really led in this area over the years.

Taylor neck carve and playability have always been wonderful on their 12 strings and I've owned Gibson, Guild and Taylor 12 strings side by side.

But, the top consideration, PARTICULARLY FOR 12 STRINGS, is the NT neck. It is extremely strong but can be minutely adjusted (the equivalent of a neck reset) by a tech in about 10 minutes . . . and if the adjustment is not correct, it can be changed on the spot in the same amount of time.

I do a small truss rod adjustment seasonally measured to Taylor specs.

The NT neck is on all guitars from 1999 so if you are buying any Taylor used, it is a great comfort to know that you can get the neck angle adjusted quickly and accurately.

I've never needed to have it done as I tune down to D (I like the throatier sound and it helps my aging hands stay in the 12 string game).

It is a golden age for guitars. Lots of great guitars out there. I had a Taylor 150 before the current smaller body and it was great too but I like the shorter scale. The 150, as has been previously mentioned, is sub $1K and is a beast.

Back to the Byrds!

Eric
Old 05-05-2022, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starshine View Post
I have that jumbo Takamine and a Taylor 352ce. After seven years with the Tak and one and a half with the Taylor, I think I prefer the Takamine. It sounds more like a traditional, jangly 12 string, and despite the neck being massive for my small hands, it's easier to play cleanly on because of the wider neck.

I love the Taylor. Its small body is super comfortable, as is the neck, but the tone is really subdued for a 12 string, especially what you'd expect from a Taylor. Rich, but not bright, and certainly not jangly.

The Taylor's the most expensive guitar I own and I'm thinking about selling it in favor of the $650 Tak.
I agree with the Takamine being easy to play. My 12 string is arguably one of the easiest playing guitars I own.

I like the GJ72CE 12-string so much that I went and purchased the matching 6 string awhile back.
2019 Takamine GD93
2022 Takamine GJ72CE 6-String
2022 Cort GA-QF CBB
1963 Gibson SG
2016 Kala uke
Dean A style mandolin. (Year unknown)
Lotus L80 (1984ish)
Plus a few lower end I have had for years
Old 05-05-2022, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericj View Post
I've had lots of 12 strings over the last 50 years.
Mostly Taylors . . . following their technology curve over the years.
They are all great. Notably the 555, K65ce and 562ce which are all extremely different. The mahogany jumbo Taylors got Kottke back into 12 strings and lead to the LKSM mentioned previously.

As I get older, the 12 fret Taylor 12 strings are perfect for me. Easy playing and they sound great.

I currently have the 362ce 12 fret 12 string with V class (mahogany/blackwood).

There are lots of opinions on V class but my ears are really attuned to the Taylor 12 string sound. The V class definitely has more sustain and better intonation (and I had no complaints on any Taylor before). It is most noticeable when using a capo and also how quickly the strobosoft tuner 'grabs' the string tune (if that makes sense to anyone).

The 362ce is one of the new models that uses only 6 bridge pins (2 strings per). I first heard of this on a Martin six string conversion that David Crosby did decades ago but I'm sure it has been around elsewhere. Taylor did it to get a more uniform string angle over the saddle, which is also compensated in a wave pattern.

I've had a number of Taylor ES guitars. The back of the saddle piezo on this ES2 (with gen 2 preamp) sounds great to me and is a simple system and adjustable by the end user.

The finish is satin but it is very nice. Wonderful fit and finish as have all my Taylors been. Taylor has really led in this area over the years.

Taylor neck carve and playability have always been wonderful on their 12 strings and I've owned Gibson, Guild and Taylor 12 strings side by side.

But, the top consideration, PARTICULARLY FOR 12 STRINGS, is the NT neck. It is extremely strong but can be minutely adjusted (the equivalent of a neck reset) by a tech in about 10 minutes . . . and if the adjustment is not correct, it can be changed on the spot in the same amount of time.

I do a small truss rod adjustment seasonally measured to Taylor specs.

The NT neck is on all guitars from 1999 so if you are buying any Taylor used, it is a great comfort to know that you can get the neck angle adjusted quickly and accurately.

I've never needed to have it done as I tune down to D (I like the throatier sound and it helps my aging hands stay in the 12 string game).

It is a golden age for guitars. Lots of great guitars out there. I had a Taylor 150 before the current smaller body and it was great too but I like the shorter scale. The 150, as has been previously mentioned, is sub $1K and is a beast.

Back to the Byrds!

Eric
Thank you for the insight! Taylor is definitely in the lead here and I have to decide to find an old 555-style model or I'm considering the 254 or 352 as a good step into having a versatile and playable 12.
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

https://linktr.ee/erikjmusic
Old 05-05-2022, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
Looking forward to reading how you find it - great looking guitar, possibly the worthy new replacement for the old Taylor 355 jumbo 12-string?
This Eastman 330E came yesterday, and it is quite a magnificent beast! For starters, it's a visual beauty, with a creamy white top, no pickguard (which is my preference!) and a nice complexity of grain in the mahogany. I think you mentioned Sapele, but this certainly looks like hog - it has more of a swirling pattern than the straight, symmetrical lines of Sapele.

The setup is great - very low action, neck dead straight, and plenty of saddle height at the bridge. The distance from the top to the bottom of the bass string just in front of the bridge is reassuringly high!

The sound is symphonic, as most 12-strings are. I've tuned it down to DAFCGD for the sake of my finger joints, and playability seems fine like this. In fact, I've got the two bass strings tuned down to C (what would normally be dropped D) right now, and it has coped well with that.

So, I think it's going to stay. The approval period from this store is 48 hours, and I've just used up 24. My doubts are always playability with 12-strings because even with a set of 10s or even 9s (GHS does a set of 9s), the strain on the fingers can be considerable. But this one does have a wafer low action, and I feel quite comfortable playing it.

I play 12-strings with a thumbpick and three metal fingerpicks. This way, I make sure of hitting both strings with each strike. I've been through a number of pieces I do, and it really does sound amazing.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
12 string, fingerstyle