The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-02-2022, 05:57 PM

Default Larrivee for recording ?

Hi gang. I’m looking to buy a new Larrivee guitar for recording mainly. I want something with plenty of snap in the low end, great for fingerstyle. Not to much bass but not thin either, plenty of rich low mids.

I live in the uk and it’s hard to find a good selection. There is many models, Any advice on good models to consider please ?

Matthew
Old 02-02-2022, 06:14 PM
Charter Member

Many great recordings are made with Larrivee's. I own 5 myself.
Here is an example of one great artist, Stephen Wake...using an Om in mahogany.

of course there is reverb and other effects he is using.
Here is a quick demo by Camden preamps from Craneborne using a Larrivee with no other effects.
I am a huge fan of the 40 series. Be it an Om or a Dreadnought these 40 series rock.
If you like fundamentals, then a Moonwood top(which is a type of Red spruce) will give you more fundamentals as well.
In both of these examples they are playing with Mahogany back and sides.
Rosewood is also very beautiful...it is a matter of your style of playing and taste that will make the difference on body size and wood combination.
Old 02-02-2022, 07:25 PM

This is my JCL 40th Anniversary Edition, Sitka spruce with East Indian Rosewood.
This is a limited edition, but a L03 Rosewood or L09 will get close to the same tone.
This is recorded with no effects into a Snowbsll microphone, so you get an accurate representation of what the guitar sounds like.
https://youtu.be/ItMTjAtCb0s
1998 Larrivee OM05-MT All Mahogany
1998 Larrivee D09 Brazilian “Flying Eagle”
1998 Larrivee D10 Brazilian "Flying Eagle"
1990 Goodall Rosewood Standard

https://soundcloud.com/247hoopsfan
Old 02-02-2022, 08:07 PM
Charter Member

You wrote: "I want something with plenty of snap in the low end, great for fingerstyle. Not to much bass but not thin either, plenty of rich low mids."

I'd encourage you to check out a Larrivee 12 fret 000-40. It checks all the boxes.
I chose it over the OM-40.

Last edited by FingahPickah; 02-02-2022 at 08:36 PM.
Old 02-02-2022, 08:39 PM

Are you planning on recording solo guitar, or as part of an arrangement? If part of an arrangement, Bass and low mids usually wind up being EQ'd back a bit so as not to muddy up those frequencies. If solo, no problem.

Good luck on your search.
Old 02-02-2022, 08:52 PM

I concur with the 00040 recommendation. Also consider walnut back and sides. Larrivee does walnut very well.

Rb
Old 02-03-2022, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattseed View Post
Hi gang. I’m looking to buy a new Larrivee guitar for recording mainly. I want something with plenty of snap in the low end, great for fingerstyle. Not to much bass but not thin either, plenty of rich low mids.
To my ear, the OO 12 fret body might work for you. That's what I've settled on for recording. I've tried out the larger Larrivee OOO and LS models and the bass records a bit boomy for me.

Not trying to "pimp" my Soundcloud site, but I have several LS-03 tracks there but most all of my unpolished imperfect amateur recordings are done with my OO Larrivees. You might get a sense of whether either might have what you're looking for.

https://soundcloud.com/jpmist/tracks

And of course IMHO with the right mics, placement and EQ, you can make pretty much any guitar sound like you want . . .

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
larrivee