The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-29-2020, 12:25 PM

Default Do I need to send my new guitar (Yamaha FGX3) back to the shop?

Hello everyone,

I bought new Yamaha FGX3 which arrived today. It came in a factory box but I do believe it had been previously opened by the shop. The shop had generally positive reviews, but not perfect. I have a 14 day cool off period so can send back if required.

First of all, the guitar sounds amazing. I won't go into details here but the things other reviews have said are true.

There are just a couple of issues I have though, which I'm not sure if a set up is all that is needed (I'm probably being picky here, but I feel anything above £500/$500 needs to be right).

Firstly I'm getting fret buzz and slight muting when I play the high e on the first fret. I'm also getting a slight buzz when I play the open D and G strings. The current set up had a very low action at the first fret and a not so low action at the 12th (I'll attach pictures if I can figure out how). Is this because of the set up and can this be easily altered (by me)?

I also found some very minor issues with the cosmetics. There is some hazy white marks that have rubbed off easily, and the truss rod cover at the top looks like some paint has come away (a bit of the lettering is more shiney then the rest). Very minor, but I'm going over this with a fine tooth comb.

What are people's thoughts on this?

Cheers,

Ks
Old 11-29-2020, 03:30 PM

Hmm, I would let it acclimatize for a few days, but also check the neck relief, fret it at the first and 14th frets and see if there's a gap and how much. Even high end guitars need setups, I need to bring my Guild in eventually as there's some fret buzz and I think it just needs a professional setup.
Personally, I would keep it and get a good setup, or maybe bring it in to a tech right away before your 14 days run up and see what they say.
Old 11-30-2020, 02:00 AM

The hazy white marks you describe have been reported elsewhere and as you have managed to sort that I wouldn't worry too much. If it was me, I'd get it set up professionally and if the truss rod cover was bothering me I'd contact the dealer or Yamaha for a replacement.
Old 11-30-2020, 05:11 AM

Having bought a fair number of Yamaha FS and FG guitars online in recent years for myself, friends, and family (they are such a value!), one thing really jumps out for me--the low action. I have always found that the action on this guitars is a little too high as delivered, so I adjust the action (usually just a little saddle sanding) as soon as I receive the guitar, regardless if it is for me or someone else.

The observation that yours seems low to start leads me to suspect that someone has already been messing with this guitar. I think I would inquire a little further about the history of that guitar.
Old 11-30-2020, 06:13 AM
Charter Member

The OP is clearly someone who pays attention to details, and the details of his Yamaha are off-putting. Send it back and consider getting one in person so you can give it a proper examination before purchasing because I don't believe you'll be satisfied any other way....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 11-30-2020, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpt50 View Post
The observation that yours seems low to start leads me to suspect that someone has already been messing with this guitar. I think I would inquire a little further about the history of that guitar.
Exactly my thoughts. In fact I wonder if that nut has had some slot filing, based on your first fret issue. They should come a little high at both the saddle and the nut.
Old 12-01-2020, 12:51 PM

It sounds like the neck needs some relief. The Yamaha’s I’ve had did come with a low factory action at the 12th fret but both needed work on the nut. If your happy with the guitar I’d get it set up properly. I’d potentially reach out to the dealer in the first instance about the truss rod cover etc.

Gibson Songwriter Standard EC
Lowden WL-22
Maton SRS808
Taylor AD11-SB
Taylor 811 GT
Taylor Big Baby Walnut
Old 12-01-2020, 04:15 PM

I've also owned a number of Yamahas and all of them benefitted by lowering the nut a little. Sounds to me like someone already tried to do that and lowered it too much - they may also have lowered the relief too much - marks on the truss rod cover have me wondering.
Old 12-01-2020, 04:30 PM

Thanks for the replies everyone. I have decided to return. The shop is happy to exchange for the same model, so hopefully this one arrives in a better state!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
set up, yamaha, yamaha fgx3, yamaha red label