The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 01-14-2020, 08:04 PM
Charter Member

Default Do-pianists-slow-down-as-they-age

Came across this thread. Found it interesting.

https://www.quora.com/Do-pianists-slow-down-as-they-age

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 01-14-2020, 08:43 PM

I would say age is a small factor. The body does start to break down at some point. I'm 45 and I'm starting to feel the gradual deterioration of my body. However, IMO, the main contributing factor is less practice time. As an adult, you have responsibilities toward your spouse, kids, relatives, close friends, and work - which can limit time spent on music. As an aspiring music student, one has more time to hit the practice room.

I have my own theory on the human body. Imagine if Michael Jordan was confined in a lab and forced to practice and play basketball. He might hit his peak when he's 50.
Old 01-14-2020, 09:34 PM

[QUOTE=Su_H.;6265362]I would say age is a small factor. The body does start to break down at some point. I'm 45 and I'm starting to feel the gradual deterioration of my body. However, IMO, the main contributing factor is less practice time. As an adult, you have responsibilities toward your spouse, kids, relatives, close friends, and work - which can limit time spent on music. As an aspiring music student, one has more time to hit the practice room.

I have my own theory on the human body. Imagine if Michael Jordan was confined in a lab and forced to practice and play basketball. He might hit his peak when he's 50.[/QUOTE]

As a former basketball player and someone involved in athletics I have to respectfully ask "are you kidding me?"
Old 01-14-2020, 10:37 PM

Some do, some don't.

Old 01-15-2020, 12:47 AM

[QUOTE=Bill Sims;6265392]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Su_H. View Post
I would say age is a small factor. The body does start to break down at some point. I'm 45 and I'm starting to feel the gradual deterioration of my body. However, IMO, the main contributing factor is less practice time. As an adult, you have responsibilities toward your spouse, kids, relatives, close friends, and work - which can limit time spent on music. As an aspiring music student, one has more time to hit the practice room.

I have my own theory on the human body. Imagine if Michael Jordan was confined in a lab and forced to practice and play basketball. He might hit his peak when he's 50.[/QUOTE]

As a former basketball player and someone involved in athletics I have to respectfully ask "are you kidding me?"
I know many athletes are plagued with injuries and that can definitely limit their peak. What about the many athletes who aren't plagued by injuries - can they continue to practice vigorously like a young adult and continue to progress into their 40s and even 50s? Anyway, it's just a theory.
Old 01-15-2020, 04:15 AM
Guest 829

A lot of factors affect this — in my view.

Stress is a big factor. I have a chronic anxiety condition which manifested in my hands, I couldn’t play for 2 years and every single doctor, consultant and physio absolutely ruled out carpal tunnel or any other form of repetitive strain. Had loads of tests: nerve studies and brain scans and nothing abnormal showed up. Eventually I went to a Physio after being told by a psychologist that my hand pain was anxiety. The Physio ditched massage and in effect he went straight into the gym with me and onto the rowing machine/weights.

I’m now at 90 percent bettee, I wasn’t fast to begin with but I do know I cannot play certain things because I do feel slower at 58.

I’m only sharing the above because it’s now well documented that the stress of life can show up in unusual places (although apparently and for good biological reason the hands commonly take a hit).

I know a concert violin player with a famous orchestra and whilst she hasn’t yet slowed down is playing in pain every single day.
Old 01-15-2020, 06:11 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Have you guys heard Rick Wakeman these days?

On the other hand, Steve Howe seems to definitely be slowing down.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write