The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-28-2020, 10:41 PM

Default ToneDexter Used With Another Preamp

I have seen a number of references to the use of a TD along with another preamp. If you are doing this, would you share your reasoning and your signal chain?

I understand the application of using a dual source like a pickup plus a mic and using a two channel preamp with the mic through one channel and the pickup through the other channel with the TD in the effects loop of that channel. However, I have seen references to running the TD in the effects loop of a Red Eye or Alix which I assume is with a single source pickup. I have also seen references to running a Session DI and maybe others in the effects loop of the TD, which maybe was done to get the EQ on the Session or other preamp?

Anyway, I am curious. If you are using another preamp with the TD, and are willing to share the hows and whys, I would like to hear about it.

Last edited by loco gringo; 10-28-2020 at 10:47 PM.
Old 10-29-2020, 01:14 AM
Charter Member

I do the one you say you understand, but I think other scenarios are pretty easy to see why people do it. Most devices have multiple functions. ToneDexter's killer feature is its IR. But it also is a preamp/DI/EQ/Tuner/Mute, etc. The Session DI's killer feature is the saturation+compression, but it's also a DI/preamp/Mute. Something like Alix or Felix's killer feature is that it's a studio grade preamp with great EQ/Mute/Boost, etc.

So what if I want a studio grade preamp with saturation+compression and an IR feature? You string them together... A better approach would be to find those pieces in isolation, and avoid chaining preamp/DIs. Depending on what features you want, that may or may not be available.
Old 10-29-2020, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
I do the one you say you understand, but I think other scenarios are pretty easy to see why people do it. Most devices have multiple functions. ToneDexter's killer feature is its IR. But it also is a preamp/DI/EQ/Tuner/Mute, etc. The Session DI's killer feature is the saturation+compression, but it's also a DI/preamp/Mute. Something like Alix or Felix's killer feature is that it's a studio grade preamp with great EQ/Mute/Boost, etc.

So what if I want a studio grade preamp with saturation+compression and an IR feature? You string them together... A better approach would be to find those pieces in isolation, and avoid chaining preamp/DIs. Depending on what features you want, that may or may not be available.
Kind of what I thought. I am thinking about getting the Align Session to try out, mainly because it seems pretty straightforward / simple to use, no menus, etc., but sounds good. I guess if I already had the Session DI, I would just use that instead of buying the Align Session, so there is an instance where the Session DI might be used in the effects loop of TD.
Old 10-29-2020, 04:41 PM

There are a couple of threads focussing on the TD FX loop which you may find interesting including this one:

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=588827

Where I discuss my own difficulty matching up in/out levels.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification