The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 11-05-2020, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaptonWannabe2 View Post
Can someone tell me how to properly attach it as quickly and efficiently as you guys were in how to procure one?
For pin bridges, I use two 3/16" (#10) x 3" long bolts through the two outside bridge pin holes. Along with that I use two gluing cauls, one the shape of the bridge plate, one the shape of the bridge, suitable nuts and washers and a few wedges to clamp between the wings of the bridge and the underside of the bridge-shaped gluing caul. The cauls are pre-drilled in the locations of the two outside holes of the bridge.

The "sandwich" for gluing is then the bridge-shaped caul, the bridge, the guitar top, the bridge plate, the bridge plate shaped caul. The bolts run through all of that. The bridge plate shaped caul needs to be waxed or taped to prevent glue from gluing it to the bridge plate. I use nuts on top of the bridge caul, rather than the heads of the screws, tightening the nuts with a wrench. Doing so prevents a screw driver from slipping into the top.

No clamps are necessary with this method.

After the glue dries, you'll need to clean out the holes with a 3/16" drill and then ream to match the diameter and taper of the bridge pins you are using. I'd go further and slot the bridge pin holes. I do that with an X-Acto saw blade in X-Acto handle.
Old 11-05-2020, 02:05 PM

[QUOTE=ch, the bridge plate shaped caul.

Thing number 211 I wish I have thought of before closing the box. LOL
Old 11-05-2020, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Thing number 211 I wish I have thought of before closing the box. LOL
Do you have a template of the bridge plate? If so, use that for the shape of your gluing caul.

No template? Easily create one with a few rare earth magnets and a piece of writing paper. Place the paper on your guitar top, taping it to the top. Use the magnets in pairs, one on the inside of the guitar, one of the outside of the guitar. Hold one magnet on the inside of the guitar and place its mating magnet on the paper outside the guitar. Move the outside magnet around until it bumps up against internal structures (e.g. braces, bridge plate, etc.). Using the position(s) of the outside magnets on top of the paper, use a ruler and draw on the paper where the internal structure is. That'll give you a template to size your gluing caul.

If it is a spruce top, put a strong light on the inside of the guitar and turn other lights off. You'll see the light telegraph through the guitar top, darker where the braces and bridge plate is. Trace that to make a gluing caul.
Old 11-05-2020, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Can someone tell me how to properly attach it as quickly and efficiently as you guys were in how to procure one?
Unless you're very experienced with guitar repairs, I recommend that you take it to a competent luthier. All kinds of things can go sideways swapping a bridge, and a clean swap will be far less expensive than having to fix damage on top of that. JMHO

Good luck! Post the results when you're finished!
Taylor 412K ('96)
Yamaha LL16-12 (SOLD)
PRS 'Studio' (SOLD)
Rickenbacker 660-12 (SOLD)
Fender USA Deluxe Strat
Fender USA Roadhouse Strat
Fender MIM/USA Partscaster
Fender MIM Nashville Tele
Kelsey Custom Hardtail Strat
Fender MIM P-Bass
Old 11-05-2020, 03:45 PM

No template? Easily create one with a few rare earth magnets and a piece of writing paper.

LOL.

I just watched that video on youtube last night.

Can't recall the builders name.
Old 11-05-2020, 06:43 PM

Default You tube

Use Ytube to gain knowledge. I suggest Rosa String Works channel. You can learn how to do it, but it will still have to dry or "cure" at a minimum of 24hrs... longer if you have the patience.

I did mine and it turned out pretty good. I learned from him.

Be sure to cover 100% of the bridge area and the bottom of the new bridge.

Do it exactly like Jerry Rosa does it and you'll do fine. It's really not something you can rush. TAKE YOUR TIME.

Ron
Old 11-07-2020, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarsaune View Post
Guitar Maker's Connection, the arm of Martin's 1833 shop that sells kits, does sell individual parts. I was able to call and get an un-inlayed fretboard for a project, for example.

However, they are only doing online orders at the moment due to COVID, per their website. So you can only get what is on the website, which doesn't include any bridges at the moment. Saddles, tuners, pickguards, kits, truss rods, some tools/clamps. See here: https://www.martinguitar.com/1833-shop/#!/c91
Highly recommended. These aren't always "cookie cutter" parts that were rejected on the main factory floor either. I went there in 2016 and the people in the old factory were VERY helpful and pulled this beauty out of the box. I'd never seen anything like it on any Martin model before. If they have these in a box in the GMC then I imagine that a custom string spacing option is there as well.

Old 11-07-2020, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Again would like to thank this site and John who posted above. Between him and other suggestions from members I have one bridge in hand, and two more will be here today.

I do mine similarly to Charles. It's easy to make a cork padded top caul and one to match the bridge plate.

Old 11-07-2020, 10:08 AM

I've bought at least 8 bridges with saddles and a D-12-35 fingerboard from the Guitar Makers Connection over the past ten or so years. I know that they say that they are seconds, but honestly, I couldn't find a flaw in any of the parts.

They are a great source for repair parts and very helpful as well.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair