The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-10-2020, 07:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasfan1 View Post
I don't get the point of this amp given the Yamaha THR30 II is already here with cheaper price. What I can see the new item from this amp is:

1. New XLR input
2. 1 Nylon Model

But the Original Yamaha THR30 II seems much more flexible comparing with this. Can anyone correct me the point of getting the new Yamaha THR30IIA instead of the original one?
I have a THR30ii and have been impressed for what it is. It has one acoustic setting with a couple options, so it is very electric guitar oriented. That said, the acoustic setting on it does sound good with the various guitars/pickups I've tried with it. I don't have any nylon guitars, so that addition would be insignificant for me. I mostly use mine for recording electric guitar.

The THR30iiA is certainly more acoustic guitar oriented. Most of the time when recording acoustic, I am using a mic; I haven't tried the THR30ii to record acoustic.
Old 12-10-2020, 06:22 PM

Default New Yamaha THR30IIA

I have one THR30ii acoustic setting that actually works well for recording. It is based on the flat model with no body resonance model. I use it with my Schertler AG6 pickup with the S-Mic turned all the way up. It doesn’t do much actually. Just a little noise suppression, a touch of compression, and a bit of very short room reverb.

I find that I really like the sound of two reverbs on anything recorded directly: one is a very short room reverb which sounds very much like the ambience that I get when I record the guitar with a mic in a home studio. The other is the pretty reverb that everyone uses.

On my THR 30ii acoustic recording preset, I just do that very short room reverb to make it sound more like I miked it in the room I am in rather than used the pickup.

The S-mic has a small bit of self noise. I use the THR 30ii with a cable instead of the wireless when I record because the wireless adds a small amount of extra noise. Most of that is from the TRS design of the wireless interfering with the acoustic guitar active pickup, but there is also a small amount of noise added even if you use a TRS to TS adapter with the transmitter. Using a cable lets me set the THR 30ii noise suppression as low as possible.

The noise suppression doesn’t work with the acoustic mic models. Only with the electric amp models and the flat setting. The NS controls are there on the body resonance models, but they don’t do anything. The new THR30iiA doesn’t have the noise suppression controls at all.
Old 12-12-2020, 06:45 PM

Any guesses as to why Yamaha omitted phantom power?
Old 12-29-2020, 08:10 PM

Default charging G10T while playing

I love my THR5A and will most likely buy 30iiA once I get back to the States. If anyone owns one, do you know if a G10T transmitter can be charged plugged into Vocal?

Better yet, would it be possible to rewire the charging unit to Headphone jack? I am not an electrician. But I might be asking for an incompatible task and in that case, I would be more than happy to lose headphone capability for the benefit of being able to play wired while charging G10T transmitter.

I would think this mod could also apply to THR30ii. What do you guys think?

Gman
Old 12-29-2020, 08:49 PM

The wireless system is only for the guitar.
Old 01-06-2021, 10:45 PM

Perhaps, my inquiry was too vague. I was just wondering if there are ways to charge the G10T while you are playing your guitar wire-plugged in and singing all at once. And thought internally rewiring the charging unit to Headphone out jack might be a solution. Any electronically inclined tinkerers, what do you think?

Gitaman

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification