The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-29-2019, 01:59 PM

Default Froggy Bottom D12 anyone?

Does anybody play one of these? I'm thinking of purchasing a new Adirondack over EIR and was looking for the opinions of owners.

I already have a Froggy K Ltd, Adi over fiddle back Mahogany so I'm familiar with the quality of Froggies. I'm more interested in the tone of a D12.

Thanks in advance
Old 05-29-2019, 02:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKA View Post
Does anybody play one of these? I'm thinking of purchasing a new Adirondack over EIR and was looking for the opinions of owners.

I already have a Froggy K Ltd, Adi over fiddle back Mahogany so I'm familiar with the quality of Froggies. I'm more interested in the tone of a D12.

Thanks in advance
I own the same tonewoods in the form of an FB H-12 Deluxe. I would imagine the D-12 is like my H-12 with the gain knob turned a bit. My H-12’s tone is like the angels singing. The lows are full and prominent but never boomy and the trebles are big and fat. The sustain and overtones are probably the best of any guitar I own. I would want a D-12 as a do it all guitar because it should be awesome for both flatpicking and fingerstyle. The videos of Scott Ainslie playing two D-12’s on their website say a lot. Good luck!
Robinson 12 Fret SS Dread (Spruce/Mahogany)
Santa Cruz Skye 00 (Adi/Coco)
Taylor K-22ce 12 fret (all Koa)
Eastman 810CE (Spruce/Maple archtop)
Old 05-29-2019, 02:34 PM

SprintBob, thank you for the reply, it's appreciated...and very helpful
Old 05-29-2019, 03:54 PM
Charter Member

I had one for a while. Deluxe model in Red Spruce and Honduran Mahogany. Fine instrument, I miss it at times! I have a Deluxe SJ in Red Spruce and Indian Rosewood that I love now!! Hard to go wrong with a Froggy. The D12 was an excellent example of what a 12 Fret Dreadnought can be. Its hard to mess up a 12 fret dreadnought. They always have a great big tone that is super versatile for both fingerstyle and flat picking. The Froggy was one of the better/best ones I've played of about 20 examples from various builders like Circa, Martin, Santa Cruz, Collings, Goodall, Tippin and several others. The Goodall TRLD is also worth a look but quite hard to find like the Froggy D12.
Old 05-29-2019, 04:22 PM

Thanks for that SuperB23. Appreciate you taking the time to post a reply
Old 05-29-2019, 11:24 PM

Default Froggy Bottom D12

I have one and love it. My Frog is a 2008 D12 Deluxe and is Red Spruce over Mahogany. First 12 Fret I've ever owned and now I'm hooked on 12 frets. 12 Fret versions of these are quite rare in general. The guitar is crazy responsive and with great tone! Its one of the finest sounding dreadnoughts I’ve played.
Old 05-30-2019, 03:55 AM

computo99...thank you for that, very helpfull and appreciated

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion