The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-28-2019, 02:53 PM

Default Martin 000RS1 - Good or Bad?

I posted this question on the UMGF as well, but I thought I would ask the question here as well. I know there is a lot of cross-membership but there are those that might have an opinion to offer.

As Martin phases out the previous Road Series for the new one, I have the chance to pick up a new 000RS1 for a great price on sale. I have read a lot of reviews from great to poor and wanted to get some current perspective from the UMGF community.

What are the plusses and minuses of the 000RS1? Any unredeemable flaws? What are the differences between the old and the new versions, other than the lack of a Martin hard shell case with the new one?

I am moving more toward fingerstyle play and the Sapele seems to be a good choice for that. Any opinion, good or bad, is welcome.
Old 05-28-2019, 04:26 PM

I wouldn't buy it unplayed unless you know that you like mahogany guitars. I have a Dread Jr, a Road Series GPCREG, and a CS OM-18 and I like all three a lot. I went looking at the Martin sapelle and mahogany guitars this weekend. I tried an 000rs1, 2 GPRS1's, a 000-15m and a GPC-15 and I couldn't get enough sound out of any of them. The GPC was the best but still, not for me.

Everyone's playing style and ability are different but for me, they all lacked what I want in a guitar. Like someone was hiding their dirty laundry inside the guitars.

As I said, everyone is different.
Old 05-28-2019, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
I wouldn't buy it unplayed unless you know that you like mahogany guitars. I have a Dread Jr, a Road Series GPCREG, and a CS OM-18 and I like all three a lot. I went looking at the Martin sapelle and mahogany guitars this weekend. I tried an 000rs1, 2 GPRS1's, a 000-15m and a GPC-15 and I couldn't get enough sound out of any of them. The GPC was the best but still, not for me.

Everyone's playing style and ability are different but for me, they all lacked what I want in a guitar. Like someone was hiding their dirty laundry inside the guitars.

As I said, everyone is different.
This is true enough. People either like/love and bond with the sound of Hog-top guitars or they don't. I like 'em, but that don't mean you will.

Ibanez AC240, Alvarez AP30, RK ROS-10, Gretsch Boxcar, Loar LO-16
G&L Tribute Bluesboy, Squier VM '72 Thinline Telecaster, G&L Tribute Ascari GT90,
Vox MV50 Rock, Orange Micro Terror, Bugera V5
Roland Cube street EX, Fender Passport Mini, Samson 308i PA

My Solo site -Updated 2/6/19

Our duo website - updated 6/7/18
Old 05-28-2019, 06:12 PM

I've tried some in guitar stores and liked them so I am hoping it could be a long term guitar. I have Sitka Spruce with Mahogany B/S guitars and was looking for something a little different.

I bought it, so fingers crossed. I didn't get a chance to play it, but a set of new strings of the right variety, and a good setup make all things better.
Old 05-28-2019, 08:12 PM

I like the tone of my Dread Junior 2. It may be too warm sounding for some but not for me. Your 000RS1 should sound pretty warm and good too!
Martin Dread Junior 2
Yamaha CSF3M (Parlour)
Lava Me 2 (Full Carbon Composite with T-A)
Old 05-29-2019, 04:10 AM
Charter Member

I really like my 000RS1. I was looking for a solid mahogany-esque in that price range. I played a bunch of the usual suspects from many manufacturers and settled on that one. Others would have chosen something different, I'm sure, but I'm happy with my choice.
Old 05-29-2019, 05:30 AM
Charter Member

I agree with what has already been said, you really need to be sure you like the all mahogany tone as it has a distinct flavour.

Loads of people love them and loads of people dont. Get out there and try a few different ones, Ive never got along with them personally but lots of performers, singer-songwriters in particular swear by them.

2015 Furch OM32SM-Custom
2015 Martin 00-28VS
2010 Martin LXM
2008 Yamaha FG730S

www.reverbnation.com/jamesascott
Old 05-29-2019, 07:17 AM

Thanks for all of the perspective. I've ordered it so we'll see. I am not too worried as I can always sell it if it doesn't resonate with me. However, I usually hang onto guitars for a while.
Old 05-30-2019, 01:46 AM

I played three different Martin mahogany guitars at Music Zoo yesterday and they were everything that I was expecting in a hog guitar. Crisp, clear, quick decay. I would take any one of them home. In fact I'm pretty sure that one day I will get one of those.

It was a 180 degree difference from the guitars I played at two different GC's this weekend. Those were just dead and lifeless. These were the life of the party!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion