The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-29-2019, 01:59 PM

I've tried Newtone. Great strings. But there isn't enough of a difference from the Sunbeams for my ears to fork over twice the money & extra shipping costs.
Old 04-11-2022, 08:59 AM

Thread bump. Any opinions to add to this debate?
Old 04-20-2022, 02:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OPJ77 View Post
Thread bump. Any opinions to add to this debate?
I've been playing DR Rare lights, along with GHS PB and Vintage Bronze lights, so I decided to give the DR Sunbeams another try. Perhaps fitting to their name, the Sunbeams seem like a good choice, where you want to add a little more color to your sound. Kinda the opposite reason of why I will use the GHS VB strings, which remove a little color on a guitar that needs to be tamed.

I have the Sunbeams on two guitars at present (one Rosewood, one Mahogany), and I plan to finish the trial with a round on my Maple Jumbo. They're good, but so far, nothing that gave me an "Aha!" moment from using the standard PB hex core strings (either DR or GHS).
Old 04-20-2022, 05:26 PM

I recently tried the Rares again for the first time in approximately ages. I like that there’s a little more space around the note than with the Sunbeams, a little more toward vintage dry. I could see alternating to keep hearing fresh things from a particular instrument. I also like the GHS Americana set on the Rare side and the Throbak round core on the Sunbeam side.
Old 04-20-2022, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
After finding how good DR Sunbeams are on my Epiphone EJ-200 I decided to try the DR Rare.

Exact same gauge and materials - purely round-core Sunbeams versus hex-core Rare.

Firstly - both are very, very good.

I found the round-cores have a little more clarity and the hex-cores have a little more volume.

After about 10 minutes of playing on the hex-cores I became aware that they required a little more finger pressure than the round-cores - it wasn't immediately noticeable, it kind of crept up on me.

I'll go back to the Sunbeam round-cores next string change but I can see why people like the hex-core Rare's as well and wouldn't be disappointed if that's all I could get.
Roundcores will almost always feel softer than hexcores. Nevertheless, DR Rares, which I'm a frequent player of them, are not stiff strings at all.
-2020 Gibson Les Paul Special
-2019 Gibson Les Paul Studio
-2021 Fender Aerodyne Special Telecaster
-2022 Fender Telecaster 50s (Vintera)
-1994 Fender Telecaster Deluxe 70 (Vintera)
-Sire V5 5-string

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion