The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-10-2019, 04:49 PM

I often alternate between both.
Old 04-10-2019, 05:15 PM
Charter Member

I have only been playing about two years as well. I play smaller bodied guitars with shorter scale lengths and always seated. I started in folk position and changed to classical position about a year ago. For me, it’s easier to maintain a good posture( I think?) and I’ve found it suits me better in general. I imagine if I was playing a longer scale length I may need to position that guitar folk style.
To each their own.
Old 04-10-2019, 05:15 PM
Charter Member

[QUOTE=Bluemonk;6032873][QUOTE=lowrider;6032823]I've only been playing for a little over 2 years, always in the folk position with the guitar on my right hip. This morning I tried the classical position, with the guitar on my right thigh.
Quote:

I'm a little confused by this. Do you mean right thigh vs. left thigh, as opposed to right hip vs. right thigh?
Thanks, I meant left thigh, I just fixed it.
Old 04-10-2019, 05:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmcr View Post
Never heard the term "folk position" before, is it in common usage?

Classical position requires a foot stool, doesn't it?
I couldn't think of anything else to call it. For classical position, I put an exercise brick under my foot. It raises my foot about 4 inches.
Old 04-10-2019, 05:23 PM

I use both. mostly classical fo classical playing and folk for steel string or wherever I don't have my footstool or don't care enough to worry about my sitting position. I actually find folk position more comfortable tho/ I also play standing with a strap.
Old 04-10-2019, 05:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownUpDave View Post
I use a short strap when seated so the neck is angled up in a semi classical position. Do whatever works and makes playing more comfortable and effortless

I don't know why, but I had to lengthen my strap. I have the guitar angled up so the headstock is almost even with my chin.
Old 04-10-2019, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
I've only been playing for a little over 2 years, always in the folk position with the guitar on my right hip. This morning I tried the classical position, with the guitar on my left thigh. I really like it. It feels very comfortable and I think my hand like the angles that they are hitting the guitar. And it feels like I have better control of the guitar.

Which do you use? What are the advantages to you? Would you ever think of switching?
You've answered your own question. It makes no difference what position others use.
Old 04-10-2019, 05:44 PM

I leaned to play classical guitar before I got my first steel string and have always stuck with it. I've tried the folk position on occasion, but it always seems awkward to me, even with a dreadnaught. That said, a dreadnaught is very awkward for me to play in either position which is why I prefer only smaller body guitars.

If you play it right the first time, it's not hard enough.

Breedlove Exotic CM Classic E: Red Cedar/Black Walnut
Bedell Angelica Bellissima Parlor: Sunken Cedar/EIR
Breedlove Crossover OO Mandolin: Sitka/Maple
Old 04-10-2019, 05:56 PM
Charter Member

I've been playing on and off for 40 years and I've always used my right leg when I played seated, so folk. Now I play almost 100% of the time seated and it's always on my right leg except on the rare occasion when I'm playing a Les Paul or one most PRS models, where the leg cut is located really far toward the neck and it throws the playing position way out of wack with the guitar on my right leg. So if I'm ever playing one I use a strap and play on my right leg when I can but then swing the guitar to the middle when I need to in order to reach the upper frets. I won't own one of those guitars because of this, but there are some really nice ones and every now and then I get a chance to play one and I just put up with it.

I owned a really nice PRS for a while and tried to adapt to the classical position so I could keep that amazing guitar. But I couldn't - I just couldn't find a way to be comfortable playing that instrument for any period of time, so I sold it. Bummed me out...

-Ray
Old 04-10-2019, 06:03 PM

I thought the folk position was when the guitar is on a strap around your neck while your standing in a protest line.
Old 04-10-2019, 06:26 PM

I usually play with a strap when seated, so the guitar isn't resting on thighs or hips. I play on my stool whenever it's feasible, so it's no different than when I'm standing in terms of the guitar position.
Old 04-10-2019, 07:07 PM

Comfort is a good thing -- if you like it, that's really what counts.

I wouldn't do classical position for aesthetic reasons, but "folk" feels just grand to me, so I suppose it's a non-issue.

If looking cool while you play counts -- and it's not a superfluous concern -- perhaps you check it out in front of a mirror and see what you like.
Old 04-10-2019, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverettWilliams View Post
If looking cool while you play counts -- and it's not a superfluous concern -- perhaps you check it out in front of a mirror and see what you like.
Won't work. I can never get my lips to sync with the fellow in the mirror.
Old 04-10-2019, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
I agree that the classical position usually looks kind of like you wish you had a cello, but Toby uses it and recommends it. I finally tried because I might be getting a dread and I want to take the size of the guitar out of the picture.

Two of the guys use the classical position seated. Both of them are great players. I'm going to hang in there with it and see how it goes.
Size might matter that position, too. Classical position puts the lower bout right between your knees, forcing you to spread them 18 inches wide or more. For me, that stretch varies from awkward to rude.
- Tacoma EK36C (ancient cedar Little Jumbo, '01, #145/150)
- Seagull SWS Maritime Mini Jumbo ('16)
- Simon & Patrick Pro Folk Rosewood ('01)
- Godin Montreal Premiere Supreme
- Ibanez Mikro Bass
Old 04-10-2019, 09:02 PM

First sixteen years (1980-1996) I played folk. Since then classical--all guitars including electrics.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion