The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-24-2019, 11:18 PM

Default My first Blue Chip

Got the bug to try one out, and it arrived Friday. Blue Chip TD 50.

My findings are based on using all picks with my Gibson J-29, a rosewood back and sides slope shoulder with a spruce top strung with a Martin Authentic Lifespan treated 12-54 set.

The picks I used in the shoot-out: Dunlop Ultex 1.14mm, Dunlop Maxgrip nylon picks 1.5mm, Dunlop Prime Tone (smooth brown) 1.3mm, and the Blue Chip TD 50 1.25mm.

BC vs Nylon: As expected, totally different. The nylons are around because when I am singing softly, they provide a muted softer tone with less harmonic content. The BC was much louder, with more going on in every area. More bass, more treble. Bigger and bolder. Again, as expected.

BC vs Ultex: I was surprised here - I like the Ultex line. The BC has less pick noise, is warmer and louder with better highs as well. The Ultex sounded anemic in comparison. Just less going on in the tone.

BC vs Primetone: I like the Primetones as well - I just dislike the ‘click’ on the strings. This battle was closer, but the BC wins on tone here. When the PT gets muddy at times, the BC has a warmer sound but retains clarity. With the PT, the lows sound great, but as you strum to the lighter strings, their tone weakens - the BC has no such issues. The highs are as strong and thick as the lows are, if that makes sense. You can hear each note in a chord better.

All of these picks stay stuck in the fingers well enough, but the BC and the Ultex do the best job on that front. The BC seems to warm up and get tacky in the hand.

Well, here’s the thing. The BC sounds and feels the best. Is it worth 35 bucks? It is to me. I am used to not losing picks, as I have been using 5 dollar Gravity picks on electric for years. I hope my system holds out! I don’t want to lose this one.

And, because of GAS, I just placed an order for a Charmed Life NF-1.15 casein pick this evening. Looking forward to comparing that with the BC.

Happy pickin’!

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
La Michoacana Classical (my Dad's guitar)
Beat to heck Seagull S6
Ovation Celebrity 12 string
Fender CD 60 dread that lives in Greece
Harmonicas in a Farmer rack

Last edited by big jilm; 02-25-2019 at 06:15 AM.
Old 02-25-2019, 01:11 AM

Thanx for the review!
You did not mention how you used these picks - strumming or flatpicking?
Old 02-25-2019, 01:45 AM
Charter Member

Your findings are instep with mine. I like the TAD50-1R (and the 60) for general picking and hybrid picking with two fingers free. The boldest, most dramatic tone makes them worth the $. I have bought at least 8 of these to sample. The 35 is nice and the 40's are just OK. My first one I bought from a forum member here 2 years ago, and after trying so many, is still my favorite. Although I have yet to spring for the 75$ 80 thickness.

I don't use them all the time.

For strumming I like a medium pick with the flex that gets the best flow for BPM. Anywhere from .060 (faster songs) to .088" (slower). The Charmed life vesperal picks are very nice for precise, solid rhythm.

For electrics I like the cheap green star cutout picks. On a slight angle they can play lead. And straight across the strings still get that flex needed for sweet rhythm.
Old 02-25-2019, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catfish View Post
Thanx for the review!
You did not mention how you used these picks - strumming or flatpicking?
I'm strumming, arpeggiating chords, and playing single note lead lines (mostly blues) with them. People talk about how easy the pick slides off the strings, and I now get what that means. Alternate picking on a run is smoother than I am used to.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
Beat to heck Seagull S6
Old 02-25-2019, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tippy5 View Post
Your findings are instep with mine. I like the TAD50-1R (and the 60) for general picking and hybrid picking with two fingers free. The boldest, most dramatic tone makes them worth the $. I have bought at least 8 of these to sample. The 35 is nice and the 40's are just OK. My first one I bought from a forum member here 2 years ago, and after trying so many, is still my favorite. Although I have yet to spring for the 75$ 80 thickness.

For strumming I like a medium pick with the flex that gets the best flow for BPM. Anywhere from .060 (faster songs) to .088" (slower). The Charmed life vesperal picks are very nice for precise, solid rhythm.

For electrics I like the cheap green star cutout picks. On a slight angle they can play lead. And straight across the strings still get that flex needed for sweet rhythm.
I want to try the TD 60 next. I myself am used to strumming rhythm with a heavy pick. I use up to 3mm Gravity picks on electric, though it's usually 2mm. No problems strumming so far with the TD 50.

I like the Prime Tone picks (this week, anyway lol) and will probably use them when I go out to jam - but the BC is a better sounding pick to my ears for sure!

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
Beat to heck Seagull S6
Old 02-25-2019, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by big jilm View Post
Got the bug to try one out, and it arrived Friday. Blue Chip TD 50.

My findings are based on using all picks with my Gibson J-29, a rosewood back and sides slope shoulder with a spruce top strung with a Martin Authentic Lifespan treated 12-54 set.

The picks I used in the shoot-out: Dunlop Ultex 1.14mm, Dunlop Maxgrip nylon picks 1.5mm, Dunlop Prime Tone (smooth brown) 1.3mm, and the Blue Chip TD 50 1.25mm.

BC vs Nylon: As expected, totally different. The nylons are around because when I am singing softly, they provide a muted softer tone with less harmonic content. The BC was much louder, with more going on in every area. More bass, more treble. Bigger and bolder. Again, as expected.

BC vs Ultex: I was surprised here - I like the Ultex line. The BC has less pick noise, is warmer and louder with better highs as well. The Ultex sounded anemic in comparison. Just less going on in the tone.

BC vs Primetone: I like the Primetones as well - I just dislike the ‘click’ on the strings. This battle was closer, but the BC wins on tone here. When the PT gets muddy at times, the BC has a warmer sound but retains clarity. With the PT, the lows sound great, but as you strum to the lighter strings, their tone weakens - the BC has no such issues. The highs are as strong and thick as the lows are, if that makes sense. You can hear each note in a chord better.

All of these picks stay stuck in the fingers well enough, but the BC and the Ultex do the best job on that front. The BC seems to warm up and get tacky in the hand.

Well, here’s the thing. The BC sounds and feels the best. Is it worth 35 bucks? It is to me. I am used to not losing picks, as I have been using 5 dollar Gravity picks on electric for years. I hope my system holds out! I don’t want to lose this one.

And, because of GAS, I just placed an order for a Charmed Life NF-1.15 casein pick this evening. Looking forward to comparing that with the BC.

Happy pickin’!
I live near the BC company. I contacted them and they told me to just come by and try them out. I went by there and I ended up purchasing a couple of pics from them and they gave me a good deal on them. By the way they are great people! I got a TAD80-1R and a TAD100-1R. Well I actually had some buyer's remorse with the picks but it is my fault. I don't have a problem with the thickness. I wanted thick picks. The 80 is 2.0mm and the 100 is 2.5mm. They also stay put in your fingers.

The issue I didn't notice when I tried them out but realized when I got home was the fact that when I pick a string and then pick the same string when it is still ringing out from the previous pluck, the BC buzzes or vibrates on that string. Very very annoying to me. There is more of a click to them too which is bothersome. I literally set two picks aside that I spent over $80 for and have not used them since. Again this is not a slam on BC. I just think that I picked out two picks that were too thick and with their particular material it is an issue for me with the buzzing.

I on the other hand have a Primetone 1.5mm pick that is my go to pick. I love that pick. I still plan on going back to BC and possibly buying another pick from them. I am not giving up on them. I think I need to get a 50 1.25mm or 80 1.50mm. I will pay close attention to the buzzing before leaving next time.
2019 Yamaha FGx5
2020 Yamaha AC3M Deluxe
2019 Yamaha FG800
2005 Taylor 214
Ibanez AEB10E Acoustic Bass
Old 02-25-2019, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tippy5 View Post

Good to know. I hybrid pick too. This in encouraging on the two BC picks you have. Those may be the ones I need to purchase.
2019 Yamaha FGx5
2020 Yamaha AC3M Deluxe
2019 Yamaha FG800
2005 Taylor 214
Ibanez AEB10E Acoustic Bass
Old 02-25-2019, 07:27 AM
Charter Member

My favorite picks. Glad you’re enjoying it.
Old 02-25-2019, 10:07 AM

Quote:
I'm strumming, arpeggiating chords, and playing single note lead lines (mostly blues) with them. People talk about how easy the pick slides off the strings, and I now get what that means. Alternate picking on a run is smoother than I am used to.
Thank you, it is not only strumming then. I have Primetone triangle 1.5 mm (brown, without grip) and Ultex 1.14 mm, I like them, but I also noticed that the tone on E and B strings is not pleasant to my ear. I put a bevel on Ultex and polished all bevels on Primetone, though.

I mostly play with fingers, but from time to time I have a strong feeling to learn flatpicking, then I play with picks.

Currently, Blue Chip is not an option, they charge around $15 minimum shipping to my destination, too much I think, but I am potentially interested to try them one day.
Old 02-25-2019, 10:41 AM

I just purchased a couple a few weeks back and have mixed reviews. First off, Im a finger style player and don't flat pick often, but Im working on a couple fiddle tunes and trying to move to that area of playing. I got a TAD 50, and CT 55, I can't tell much difference really. They have great feel in your hand, they sit tight in your fingers, and your picking becomes more pronounced. They can dramatically change the tone of your guitar, and if you're looking for a bluegrass cannon sound, you owe it to yourself to try these picks. But thats where the downside comes in, great for single note playing, but I find I can't get a light, brushed strum like I can with a nylon medium, and I miss that in a lot of songs. I've been using the blue chip for flat picked fiddle songs only, and for lightly strummed folk type things I prefer a lighter nylon(I turn them sideways and use side of pick). The blue chip has a distinct clicking sound I don't care for when lightly strumming, and no matter how much I feather it, it still sounds a bit brash to my ears.
'95 Collings 0002H
'80s Martin M36
Old 02-25-2019, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolbury View Post
I just purchased a couple a few weeks back and have mixed reviews. First off, Im a finger style player and don't flat pick often, but Im working on a couple fiddle tunes and trying to move to that area of playing. I got a TAD 50, and CT 55, I can't tell much difference really. They have great feel in your hand, they sit tight in your fingers, and your picking becomes more pronounced. They can dramatically change the tone of your guitar, and if you're looking for a bluegrass cannon sound, you owe it to yourself to try these picks. But thats where the downside comes in, great for single note playing, but I find I can't get a light, brushed strum like I can with a nylon medium, and I miss that in a lot of songs. I've been using the blue chip for flat picked fiddle songs only, and for lightly strummed folk type things I prefer a lighter nylon(I turn them sideways and use side of pick). The blue chip has a distinct clicking sound I don't care for when lightly strumming, and no matter how much I feather it, it still sounds a bit brash to my ears.
I researched this forum for Blue Chip picks, and several members pointed out that Blue Chip picks are designed for flatpicking, crosspicking and solo work, but they are not best picks for strumming on acoustic guitar. But mandolin players use them for strumming.
Old 02-25-2019, 12:37 PM
AGF Sponsor

Jilm, welcome to the lunatic fringe. There should be a 12-Step Program for this stuff. You're hooked now.

scott memmer
Old 02-25-2019, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catfish View Post
I researched this forum for Blue Chip picks, and several members pointed out that Blue Chip picks are designed for flatpicking, crosspicking and solo work, but they are not best picks for strumming on acoustic guitar. But mandolin players use them for strumming.
Boy..... here we go.... maybe...…."IF" Blue chip picks are not the best for strumming what supposedly is ?????
Old 02-25-2019, 10:39 PM

Quote:

Happy pickin’!
Love my Blue Chip TD60.
I want to try a Charmed Life Casein, but I'm worried that I'd break it.
1983 Washburn Timber Ridge Custom
- Fishman Onboard Prefix Premium Blend & - Schatten HFN passive
2016 Gibson J-45 Standard
- Fishman Onboard Prefix Premium Blend & - Schatten HFN passive backup
Tonedexter & Sunnaudio Stage DI
1990 Yamaha FS-310

Past:
1995 Martin D-28
2015 Eastman E10SS
Old 02-26-2019, 02:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctvolfan View Post
Good to know. I hybrid pick too. This in encouraging on the two BC picks you have. Those may be the ones I need to purchase.

Try the one with one round corner. The TAD50-1R. I use the round corner on a slight angle to get total clickless flesh like tone. You'll notice this slight angle restricts a little speed but to get the thumb flesh tone from a pick look no further that the round end. It makes an average guitar sound BOLD. And it makes my high end Goodall's the most potent of any pick that I have tried.
TAD60-1R is my second favorite but the 50 gets on that angle real nice. I use this round corner for more solo or transition melodies. The two other points are nice for rhythm and Travis, solid playing. 2 picks in one.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion