The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 03-27-2017, 01:54 PM

Default Osage Orange

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...6822508&type=3 This is a Guitar I made from Osage Orange also known as Hedge or Bois 'd Arc
Old 03-27-2017, 01:58 PM

I would be curious to hear what it sounds like. I've had knife handles made out of this wood before and having seen a lot of these trees in East Texas growing up in the 1960s, it's a mighty HARD wood and it don't burn worth a hoot.
Old 03-27-2017, 02:02 PM

There's a thread in the "Custom Shop" section of the forum with an Osage Orange build: http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=452927. Lots of great info, and some cool pics too.
Old 03-27-2017, 03:04 PM

FYI for those that may not know. Osage orange is highly prized amongst us traditional/primitive bowyer especially for self bows.

It was a traded wood for bows between tribes and I believe some ended quite far up in northern Canada. Quite the journey considering it is predominantly native quite south.

And it sure is pretty wood.
Old 03-27-2017, 03:15 PM

When I grew up we had a yard full of hedgeapple trees, and every year my father would cut one down to use for firewood. You're mistaken about its flammability, Looburst - it's so dense it can be difficult to set on fire, but once it gets going it's a magnificent firewood. It's so resinous it burns brightly for an incredibly long time. It was definitely our favorite wood to burn in our fireplace.

whm
Old 03-27-2017, 04:29 PM

Well all I I know is, in East Texas folks wouldn't use it for firewood for that reason.
Old 03-27-2017, 07:53 PM

You know, if the chimney or stovepipe isn't maintained properly, I could see where burning hedgeapple/Osage orange could be hazardous, perhaps almost the same as burning wood that's been soaked in creosote. It burns hot and fiercely.....

whm
Old 03-27-2017, 08:32 PM

Osage Orange is a great firewood, once your fire is established. More BTU's per cord than pretty much any other domestic wood. Trying to start a fire with it is an exercise in futility though.

Creosote in your flue comes mainly from burning green wood. The species plays less of a role.
Old 03-27-2017, 10:52 PM

When I was making normal single sides guitars I made a couple with Osage orange and I thought they were superb. It's a first rate tonewood from a sonic perspective. The down side is few customers want an orange/yellow with a hint of green guitar.

A pal of mine in the trade, A.J. Lucas has a reputation for using non traditional woods and non exotics, so a passed the remaining sets I had onto him.

nigel

www.nkforstergutars.com
Old 03-28-2017, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mischief View Post
FYI for those that may not know. Osage orange is highly prized amongst us traditional/primitive bowyer especially for self bows.

It was a traded wood for bows between tribes and I believe some ended quite far up in northern Canada. Quite the journey considering it is predominantly native quite south.

And it sure is pretty wood.
I have a few staves in the back yard and I am surrounded by these trees
Old 03-28-2017, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
When I grew up we had a yard full of hedgeapple trees, and every year my father would cut one down to use for firewood. You're mistaken about its flammability, Looburst - it's so dense it can be difficult to set on fire, but once it gets going it's a magnificent firewood. It's so resinous it burns brightly for an incredibly long time. It was definitely our favorite wood to burn in our fireplace.

whm
more BTUs than any other wood in the united states...it will burn out a good wood stove if ya ain't careful...you have to add some other wood with it to keep the heat under control,,
Old 03-28-2017, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looburst View Post
I would be curious to hear what it sounds like. I've had knife handles made out of this wood before and having seen a lot of these trees in East Texas growing up in the 1960s, it's a mighty HARD wood and it don't burn worth a hoot.
I was very pleased with the sound loud and proud.....
Old 03-28-2017, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larrydean View Post
I have a few staves in the back yard and I am surrounded by these trees

Lucky duck
Old 03-28-2017, 08:08 AM
Musical minimalist

I love Osage as a tonewood - I'm sure yours is exceptional!!!

Mr Mcknight will likely be chiming in on this one......he's built some very nice Osage instruments.....had one here for a couple of years and miss it a lot! Here it is in action.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFWR51dXVCc

Last edited by fitness1; 03-28-2017 at 08:17 AM.
Old 03-28-2017, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N K Forster View Post
When I was making normal single sides guitars I made a couple with Osage orange and I thought they were superb. It's a first rate tonewood from a sonic perspective. The down side is few customers want an orange/yellow with a hint of green guitar.

A pal of mine in the trade, A.J. Lucas has a reputation for using non traditional woods and non exotics, so a passed the remaining sets I had onto him.

nigel

www.nkforstergutars.com
Give it some UV treatment and the color turns somewhat similar to pernambuco, though the texture is still much more coarse. Both of these pieces are from the same back set, but the one on the left sat in a west facing window for a couple weeks.

Nowhere near as yellow/green as movingui, which is another excellent sounding wood.

Osage is the most exotic domestic wood I love it. Though it is a bit of a pain to work when perfectly quartersawn like that, because the dark grain lines are insanely hard, and light grain kind of medium, so tools tend to chatter and cut unevenly.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop