The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 03-21-2010, 04:21 PM

I'm running Logic Express 8 with my imac. I use an Motu 8pre firewire interface.

So far I've been pretty happy with this setup.

You can hear some sample recordings of my band 41 MILES that I've recorded on my myspace link below.
Taylor 312 CE (Nashville Tuning)
Martin D-35
Paul Reed Smith Custom 22
Paul Reed Smith SE Custom Semi Hollow
Fender USA Stratocaster
Fender MIM Jazz Bass
Fender "72" Telecaster Deluxe
Mesa Boogie, Fender,& Carvin Amps

http://www.myspace.com/jeffreiner
http://www.myspace.com/endcountyroad
Old 03-21-2010, 06:30 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Version 1.5 of Adobe Audition. Very easy to get a basic recording.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 03-21-2010, 10:33 PM
Charter Member

Sounds like folks have some nice gear here.

I had an Mbox 2 in the past, and a pair of MXL 603 small diaphram mics. Sold em when i realized i was not using them that much, which i kind of regret. I think i used the money to pay for guitar camp or something.

At the moment i have a pair of KRK RP5 monitors, Logic 9, an iMac, and a Zoom H4. I mainly use the Zoom to record various examples for my website. I prefer to just multitrack on the computer, so i am going to have to get a firewire interface and some mics soon. I was borrowing a Motu interface and a Cad M179 mic from a friend for a while, i liked both those alot. The CAD is not overly expensive, has multiple patterns, and is nice and quiet.

I don't know that i will ever has a pro level studio like Doug's, but i enjoy home recording and learning to use the gear.

Anton

Last edited by anton; 03-21-2010 at 10:43 PM.
Old 03-21-2010, 10:40 PM

The H4 will function as a USB interface with either its attached mics or externals. You're ready to go multitracking already.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 03-21-2010, 11:22 PM
Charter Member

Yea, i guess i am just looking for an excuse to buy more gear.
Old 03-22-2010, 07:11 AM

I'm using a TC Konnekt 48 into a fairly old PC (Athlon 64 939). I had an AT4033 (cardiod) for close micing and an AT4050 (multipattern, omni) for ambient micing but I had to give those back. A shame since they were a good look.

At some point I would like to bag another AT4050 and add a bridge pickup, record 3 channels, close mic, ambient mic into the onboard pres and pickup into an instrument level input and then mix them together for some decent flexibility post recording.

Currently recording into Reaper. I have FL Studio 9 rewired to Reaper for sequencing/MIDI but that doesn't get a look in when recording straight acoustic guitar.

I like the percs of mobile recording solutions like this since you can set up shop in a really nice sounding room, set up the mics and record straight to a laptop hard drive.

Post recording is my forte though since I'm fairly used to working all digital (electronic dance music mainly) so it doesn't bother me if I have to recreate the illusion of a real acoustic space entirely using close miced sources and synths. With only an SM57 at the moment the way things work right now is to record one close source and recreate the sound of the room using convolution reverb and (when it comes to electric), cab sims.

There are very decent free ones around like SIR (Super Impulse Reverb). Just bag the free impulses from Noise Vault which hosts impulse responses from classic hardware verbs like Lexicon PCM91, EMT 250, TC System 6000 and Eventide Eclipse.
Old 03-22-2010, 04:11 PM
Charter Member

I record using Samplitude 10.

I also generally go to the studio for serious recording. I much prefer not only the performance feedback, but the freedom to focus on playing and not on running 'chinery.

Worry less about the guitars you want. Play the guitar you have more.
The answer will come, and it will not be what you expect.

A guitar is a tool, and a friend. But it is not the answer.

It is the beginning.

Current Guitars:

Taylor 716C Modified
Voyage-Air VAOM-04

CD: The Bayleys: From The Inside
CDBaby
Amazon
Also available from iTunes

Old 03-22-2010, 10:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wthurman View Post
I record using Samplitude 10.

I also generally go to the studio for serious recording. I much prefer not only the performance feedback, but the freedom to focus on playing and not on running 'chinery.
I can concur with this. When i recorded my album it was great to have Doug Young sitting there running the board, placing mics, and doing editing. Steve Baughman (producer) listened, gave feedback, and kept track of good/bad takes. It was great to have two sets of ears to bounce opinions off, i could not have done it without those guys.

Anton
Old 03-23-2010, 05:04 AM

I'm using an 3.06 GHz IMac Core 2 Duo and an Echo AudioFire 8 interface. I'm using Garageband now but will probably change to Logic Express when (or if) Garageband no longer meets my "rookie" needs. I have an AT4040, SM57 and a couple of other mics.

'03 Martin OM-28V
'04 Breedlove McKenzie Mando
'05 Seagull S12+
'06 Larrivee LV-03E
'07 Takamine TC132SC
'08 CA 7M-CE, '08 CA Cargo
SWR California Blonde II, AAD Cub
Old 03-23-2010, 12:22 PM

i'm using logic pro 8, ableton live 7 and reason 4 into mac pro G5 with an apogee ensemble as the audio interface. mics are rode nt1a(2), groove tubes gt66, shure sm57(2) and akg d330bt. monitors are event ps8.

it really helps me to come up with new ideas being able to use logic, reason and live via rewire.
mikeB.

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD