The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-29-2019, 09:58 AM

Default Breedlove Discovery Concert and Concerto...

The interesting designs drew me to a couple of videos of these inexpensive guitars which sound good, but I prefer to hear of first-hand experiences. I'm partial to larger guitars, so the Concerto (replaces the dread in the series), is of particular interest. If anyone here owns either model comments are most welcome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56amGZtwPnk
Old 05-29-2019, 10:08 AM

My advice would be to look one step up at the Pursuit series. Still inexpensive, but better guitars, which I would think someone who owns a D-18 would appreciate. The Discovery series is intended as a first guitar for beginners.
Old 05-29-2019, 02:32 PM
Charter Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflehead View Post
My advice would be to look one step up at the Pursuit series. Still inexpensive, but better guitars, which I would think someone who owns a D-18 would appreciate. The Discovery series is intended as a first guitar for beginners.
My experience with the Discovery Series is EXACTLY the opposite!

To my ear (and I own and play two hand-built acoustic 6 string guitars), the Discovery Series guitars sound noticeably better than the other Asian-made Breedloves, until you reach the $800+ range...

I've played dozens of the Discovery Series Concerts and quite a few of the Concerto model, as well, but they have not been available until late last year...

They have ALL been very good guitars, and some have been quite incredible for the low price.

They frequently need a bit of set-up work to dial them in, but can be made to play very smoothly and easily.

True, the Concerto does have more bottom-end, but don't discount the Concert size completely, as a fair number of them have a very balanced tonal palette.

It's curious to me, but once the guitars have the factory-installed Baggs electronics and a cutaway, they don't seem nearly as responsive or as loud as the stock, entry level Discovery Series guitars.

Hard to go wrong for $299 (or $349 for the Concerto)... even though these guitars are made overseas, they are fully backed by the Breedlove factory in Bend, Oregon... and Breedlove's customer service is exemplary!
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 05-29-2019, 06:18 PM
Charter Member

Dunno squat about the Discovery series, but I'm a huge fan of the concerto body style. The Frontier series concerto that I have spanks the ten or so other American Breedloves of varying body styles I've had over the past several years... for volume, projection, liveliness, response, etc. It blows me away every time I play it. I've had a lot of nice guitars and sold them, but that guitar will be the last acoustic I sell at any price. My Avalon is bold, but that Breedlove is a "man among men" compared to the other guitars in my man cave.
Old 05-29-2019, 07:24 PM

I've got a Pursuit Concerto all Myrtle wood coming Friday I'll post a review
Old 05-29-2019, 07:35 PM

I will actually have to go check what model I have but I did buy one of the OM or concert guitars in I think the Cascade series... it's bright, balanced, plays nice. Hell of a nice guitar in around 1000 bucks.

I don't like how many models seem to come and go, but Breedlove certainly make nice guitars and even these offshore ones seem to be of very high quality.
Old 05-30-2019, 02:14 AM

I played both last week, and have to echo what @jseth said. They were both wonderful to play, and listen to, but would need a bit of setup work (like any other guitar) would need. To me, the setup is part of becoming one with your instruments, I enjoy it very much. I nearly left with both of them, but decided that the couch would not be comfortable for the entire month.

I have a 2010 DR25-SRe, and would never sell it. It sounds, and plays like no other, even my 2001 HD35. Did I mention it's beautiful? And the build quality is second to none! I'm a huge fan of Breedlove!

Choose the one that is most comfortable to you, and you will NOT be disappointed.
Martin 00-28
Martin D-18
Cordoba C7
Gretsch Jim Dandy
Old 05-30-2019, 04:07 AM

Thanks for all the replies. I was wondering how these might hold up against Yamaha which is my usual go-to in affordable guitars. Unfortunately nobody around here stocks them or I would have found out for myself.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion