The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-27-2019, 07:42 AM
Charter Member

Well, wouldn't you believe that I couldn't find the naphtha or the steel wool? I did have some creamy guitar polish of some kind and a lemon-oil fretboard conditioner from probably 40 years ago.

Between a soft cloth gently waved around inside and a can of air I did get a softball-sized clump of hair and dust out of the soundbox. No expectation of perfection or of repairing the water stains inside, which is fine. Definitely sounds brighter with all that out!

Used the dish soap trick (followed by a few passes with just a little water) and some elbow grease to get the rest of the gunk off the finish, and a work out toothbrush on the fretboard and open-back tuners. Lightly oiled the fretboard and polished up the rest, and restrung with some Martin light PB.

The light discoloration is definitely damage under the finish, but with the surface cleaned up it looks quite a bit better. There are some dings here and there, but nothing particularly major and no real peeling I can detect -- it's still pretty smooth to the touch.

I did examine the top and it's not perfectly flat, but the bridge seems solidly attached and the belly is bowed less than my dad's '77 FG365s, so I'm assuming it's normal for it's age. Action is a touch high but plenty playable, especially since I rarely go much higher than 8th or 10th fret playing folk and bluegrass (badly).

The number stamped on the brace below the end of the fretboard is 80409357, which the Yamaha decoding stuff I've seen indicates is a 1969 build, but the label and model number look newer to me -- did they change up after the 70s? The pick guard shape isn't something I remember seeing on anything the last few decades so I'm still thinking 1980s.

I tried to clean up the tuners a big with a small brass brush and put a drop of sewing machine oil on each, but they still seem alternately very loose or like they are binding up. They aren't a style I'm familiar with and some seem adjustable at all. Don't know if I should struggle with them as necessary for a camp/busking guitar or consider replacing them if I can find something cheap and decent. The bridge pins are definitely getting replaced at some point if I can maybe find some old ones someone replaced or something. The screws holding a couple into the headstock were a little loose, but they snugged back down into the wood firmly -- I was kind of shocked none of the holes were stripped.

There are a few spots around the first two frets where someone's clearly played this guy a lot and scalloped out the fretboard just a touch, but they aren't noticeable when playing. Tells me this was once a loved and much-played instrument so I'm glad to bring it back around, if only a bit, to be played once more.

Much appreciate all the advice here from such a wonderful community! Thank you all from me and my new beater. One last question -- why does "NGD" stand for? Seems to be attached to threads about folks' new guitars?

Oh -- here are a couple after pics. You can see the spotting and a few dings still there in the finish, but no more dust and still plenty of lustre left! IMG_0655.jpgIMG_0656.jpgIMG_0657.jpgIMG_0659.jpgIMG_0660.jpg
Old 05-27-2019, 07:59 AM

It looks like it turned out really well. Congrats on what looks to be a great guitar.

NGD stands for New Guitar Day.

Id still go with the recommendation for Gorgomyte on the fretboard. It will condition the rosewood and polish up the frets and make it really nice to play.

Then there are the electrics...
Old 05-27-2019, 08:26 AM
Charter Member

Well, if this is my NGD post I'm guessing it ranks in the least impressive ever after what I've seen since joining! But yeah, best $50 guitar I've ever had! ;-)

I'll keep my eye out for Gorgomyte; I'm guessing the lemon oil will all get sucked in pretty quickly ... it's been about 13 hours since I put it on and I'm already seeing the shine reduce in some spots.

Looking around at Yamaha serial number docs and model histories, looks like the 405 was only made from 85-89, so the serial would indicate an April 9, 1988 build. Now if only I could find information on the tuners...
Old 05-27-2019, 08:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1neeto View Post
If its gonna be a beater then I would concentrate on making it playable first. Id clean the fretboard with GHS Gorgomyte, it works great on the fret wire and rosewood board. You might want to use a toothbrush to clean up the grime between the fret wire and board like someone else said. Hair inside the sound hole? Who cares, it probably adds to the tone. [emoji13] the b/s damage looks like the finish peeling off, I wouldnt worry about that. But yeah just clean that fretboard, and send it for a setup (I assume you inspected for belly bulge and bridge lifting). And enjoy what could be a great playing guitar.
How damp are the Gorgomyte cloths supposed to be? I bought some from amazon and they seem kind of dry which makes me think they're bad.
Old 05-27-2019, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJesse View Post
How damp are the Gorgomyte cloths supposed to be? I bought some from amazon and they seem kind of dry which makes me think they're bad.
Clean it up with washing up liquid and water in a well-rung cloth, rinse cloth, repeat... then take it from there.
Old 05-27-2019, 08:49 AM
Charter Member

I know those tuners. I have the same on my old Alvarez 5023 from 1974. They are pretty cheap tuners, unfortunately, found on student and entry level guitars.

They were originally covered tuners. Yours are missing the covers. Pretty common, I've seen that a lot.

1981 Guild D-46
2000 Goodall MhS Standard
2014 Martin Custom Shop CEO-7 00-14
Homemade Telecaster
Old 05-27-2019, 10:12 AM
Charter Member

That makes more sense - I can't remember ever seeing an FG before with open tuners. And might explain why they seem so loose and fidgety.
Old 05-27-2019, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJesse View Post

Oh supposed to be quite damp. That sucks you got sent a dry one.
Old 05-29-2019, 12:23 PM

I have very similar tuners on my Yamaha, if they are so loose they feel too sloppy, you can carefully tap on the top of the steel loops to tighten them up a bit. If too tight Id work them with oil a bit first to see if that helps. If not you could try to loosen, (lift the loop), a tiny bit... though unless they were really bad Id probably just live with them.

Alternatively you can just replace them with an inexpensive new set of tuners. Thats what Ill eventually do as Im getting tired of tinkering with mine.

Good luck,
JeffD
Old 05-29-2019, 01:33 PM
Charter Member

I ordered a cheap set of similar ones from Elderly this morning. They've definitely seen some abuse -- some of the gear teeth are pretty marked up and a few chipped. A couple pegs are feeling loose and two bind up - one so badly I'm kind of scared to mess with it too much. I got it tuned up, but only just. I'll just swap them out when the new ones get here and take the opportunity to file the saddle down a bit -- noticed it was weirdly high on the treble side when I was cleaning the thing off and hadn't bothered to measure the action, but it's really high on that side, even at the first fret. Not worth a professional setup or any repairs so I'll make it the best I can and live with the result. Thanks for the advice!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion