The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-27-2019, 10:02 AM

Default Neckup Duralar.

Hello, sorry for bothering with neckup again. but I have satin finish Furch, and as for many before me, it wouldnt stick properly. does anyone have bad experience with that duralar protective sheet? more specifically, is it difficult to remove and will it leave any marks or damage? the furch is listed as open pore finish and from what i know, they have own brew of UV finish, wich they use in small quantities on the satin finished guitars as well . thanks

Furch Blue OM CM
Old 05-27-2019, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoudi View Post
Hello, sorry for bothering with neckup again. but I have satin finish Furch, and as for many before me, it wouldnt stick properly. does anyone have bad experience with that duralar protective sheet? more specifically, is it difficult to remove and will it leave any marks or damage? the furch is listed as open pore finish and from what i know, they have own brew of UV finish, wich they use in small quantities on the satin finished guitars as well . thanks
Buddy, don't stick anything on your guitar.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 05-27-2019, 10:27 AM

I have put the mylar sheet on my satin finished Larrivee. The Neck Up manufacturer assured me it would not damage the finish and so far I can't see that it has. I did peel a corner up to make sure and it looked fine, but once you peel it up it is difficult to get back down totally flat again.
Old 05-27-2019, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattwood View Post
I have put the mylar sheet on my satin finished Larrivee. The Neck Up manufacturer assured me it would not damage the finish and so far I can't see that it has. I did peel a corner up to make sure and it looked fine, but once you peel it up it is difficult to get back down totally flat again.
my thinking is, if your pickguard doesnt damage guitar , give its much stiffer and thicker, this shouldnt as well. imho its dangerous, to use neckup on satin finish, because it goes off without warning and given you would hold the guitar only with your right elbow i can see it falling.

Furch Blue OM CM
Old 05-27-2019, 10:36 AM

Default stick nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodallboy View Post
Buddy, don't stick anything on your guitar.

i understand this school of taught, but i saw multiple people here recomending neckup and using it. and there is already pickguard , and the top is open pore finish as well.

Furch Blue OM CM
Old 05-27-2019, 10:38 AM

I had the same problem with the open pore finish in my guitar, hence the Duralar sheet. I've only removed it once, and didn't see any damage - and it had been on there for several weeks. It's not hard at all to remove, but once you take it off, it's hard to get the wrinkles out and the corners to stay flat when you reapply it. Which is probably why they include two with an order. I just leave it on the guitar all the time, now.

The only time I've seen marks from a Neckup is with the cup, and when the finish is Nitro, still fresh and out-gassing, which makes it soft. Solving that problem would simply be to remove it when not in use. From what I've read, a UV finish wouldn't be subject to that anyway.

... JT
Old 05-27-2019, 10:44 AM

contact Furch, and see what they say.
Old 05-27-2019, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lar View Post
contact Furch, and see what they say.
you are right, given they have their own finish. to be honest i just wanted to play with the neckup, because its so much better than my leg stool, but its a brand new guitar and you know..

Furch Blue OM CM
Old 05-27-2019, 11:35 AM
Charter Member

Try the SAGEWORK - it uses rare earth magnets is very stable and doesn't hurt your guitar. Vids on YT
Old 05-27-2019, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip Ellis View Post
Try the SAGEWORK - it uses rare earth magnets is very stable and doesn't hurt your guitar. Vids on YT
maybe little later, i know, it looks great, but its kinda expensive. even the neckup wasnt cheap, but curiously, nobody sells many alternatives in czech republic or even on thomann. just the ergo and the cushin

Furch Blue OM CM
Old 05-27-2019, 01:20 PM

Using the sheets with my Taylor 322 12 fret, a satin finish guitar. Works great with the suction cup, and seems OK with the finish. For the record I also have the Sagework, but find the NeckUp more comfortable.
Old 05-27-2019, 01:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
maybe little later, i know, it looks great, but its kinda expensive.
HI Thomas

And the Sageworks will not fit under the headstock in my case.

I had a Seagull S6 with Satin finish (all the rest are glossy) and I had zero issues because once I sat the NeckUp in place, my neck angle was steep enough that gravity held it in place.

I adjusted the NeckUP itself at such an angle that the suction cup rested on my thigh and stayed in place. NeckUP users tend to forget just how adjustable the unit is.

Not sure anybody can achieve this, but it was seemingly easy enough.

Had I kept the S6, I'd have just buffed out the underside of the body to a gloss finish in the spot the NeckUP went so it would have stuck if needed.

One of the reason I don't have buff finishes is because I keep guitars forever, and any satin finish will buff out with repeated touching, sliding, repeated friction. I had one guitar with the backside of the neck so shiny that it would feel sticky if the room was overly warm.

So I'd take 000 sandpaper to it every few months and re-satin-ize the finish, and it would last for another 10 months or so before I had to sand it again.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 05-27-2019, 01:54 PM

Default Thanks

guys. i will wait with the patch for the furch support statement, but i believe it should be okay, and it sort of stays in place without it, when i am playing, just cannot lift it and move mutch. but the playing feeling is really great, better posture then the leg stool, only minus i have it cuts to your tight sometimes, but i guess this can be fixed by puttin something under.

Furch Blue OM CM
Old 05-27-2019, 04:18 PM

Quote:
i understand this school of taught, but i saw multiple people here recomending neckup and using it. and there is already pickguard , and the top is open pore finish as well.
And that's cool, but remember you were advised before the fact.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 05-28-2019, 11:54 AM

Default thanks again

so i mailed furch, they gave me go ahead saying UV finish should be the most resilient one. i am still fiddling with the exact position, but as many people mentioned before, its a great improvement for the playing comfort.

Furch Blue OM CM

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion