The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-15-2018, 04:17 PM

I have a Taylor with that problem...Ö.glad to hear it's not hard to fix.
Old 07-15-2018, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDrake View Post
Wow, I didn't expect this old thread of mine to resurface. Anyway, the follow-up to my situation is good. I did ship the guitar to the nearest Martin certified repair shop, Guitar Tex in San Antonio, Texas. They did a great job, took a couple of weeks and was only out the cost of shipping. The guitar looks fantastic, you can't even tell where the separation was or what was repaired. Back to my original post, the tech who did the work did tell me that he had recently seen a lot of Martin guitars with binding separation issues. I think when I originally called and told him of my problem, he said he currently had 8 Martin guitars with bindings in the shop to fix. I don't know if it is a shrinkage problem with the binding material or a defect with the glue, as Mirwa has suggested, but it did disappoint me. Anyway, the guitar is home now, good as new, and still cherished. No hard feelings.

I'm glad your guitar is fixed. Obviously, Martin STILL makes great guitars and like Wade (from 8 months ago) pointed out, there can be a little of mob mentality bashing Martin and longing for the "good old days".

Unrelated, but I wanted to tell a great story:

Back in the 1970's, we had a great music store (Reliable Music) here in Charlotte. It was a big place (probably 5,000 square feet)...long before GC, Sam Ash, etc...

Anyhow, I was in the luthier's shop in the store and he had a "lawsuit" Takamine that had a crushed top from shipping (I know there was no lawsuit). These Taks had a Martin style headstock with "Takamine and Co" in the gold stylized font like a Martin so 15 feet away, you couldn't tell them apart. Anyhow, the luthier says "Watch this" and walks out of his little shop and onto the main sales floor, and in a LOUD voice screams: "I am SO sick of Martin's shi$$y quality" and El Kabong's the guitar into pieces in front of everyone...you could hear a pin drop and we held it together for about 10 seconds and then lost it...a classic moment.
Neil Gardiner Parlor
Guild GAD D-150
Ramsay Classical
Cordoba C10 (Cedar top)
Eastman Pagelli PG2
Neil Gardiner Concert
Taylor Leo Kottke
Gretsch 6120-1959TV
Pavan TP-30-64

And the ukuleles:
Kanilea K3 Koa Super Concert
Kanilea K1 Walnut Tenor
Mainland Tenor
Willard Wixom Tenor
ALL LEFTIES
Old 05-28-2019, 08:29 AM

Default Shrinking plastic bindings on recent Martin guitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDrake View Post
Good Morning everyone. I have a Martin Custom Shop D28 (style) guitar that I purchased last December, 2016. I believe it was actually built in November of 2014 and arrived in the shop where I bought it early in 2015. I am the original owner of the guitar and did register the guitar warranty with Martin. I really love the guitar and have truly enjoyed it. Two weeks ago I was restringing the guitar and noticed the ivoroid binding had separated over a 3 inch length under the lower bout of the guitar. I am not panicked about it, but a little disappointed. The shop that I bought it from is not a Martin warranty repair shop, so I have had to send the guitar out of town to have the work (hopefully covered under warranty) performed. What really caused me to write this post is that in conversation with the guitar tech where the work will be done, he mentioned that Martin has a problem ( to quote him, he actually said "reputation" ) with bindings shrinking and separating. He says he has 7 or 8 Martins in the shop right now with the same problem. I am not trying to rag on Martin, but this is all news to me and I find it disappointing. Has anyone else had the same binding issue happen to them recently? I was also told, by the tech, that Martin has an "allowance" for repairs, and if the repair exceeds that amount, I might be out of pocket for the difference. Really?? I guess I can call Martin and confirm, but I thought I would also mention this, here in the forum.

As an aside, my Martin was one of a custom run that they produced in 2014. It seems like it may be a prototype for the new 2017 D28. It has ivoroid binding (duh), aged toner top, open back tuners, a one piece mahogany neck and scalloped braces, though not forward shifted. I love the guitar. I am a little "peeved" that now all the new D28 look similar. I'll get over it, though, mine is still special, just not as unique.
According to Jerry Page, Martin authorized repair man and guitar genius in New Mexico, the source for Ivoroid binding was closed down a few years ago and Martin had to find a new source. The new plastic bindings are prone to shrinkage. It is not a humidity problem, humidity doesn't affect plastic. I was lucky enough to live close to my repair guy and he turned both of my Martin Custom shop binding repairs around in under a week each. Yes it is a bummer to have to deal with but the overall quality and tone/playability of my Martin Guitars makes up for it every day.
Old 05-28-2019, 10:06 AM
Charter Member

I was on the very brink of buying a used Martin CS 0000-18 from an AGF sponsor shop when it was discovered that the binding had come loose on the curvature of the waist of the guitar...and the luthier the shop used said he could fix it but couldn't guarantee it would stay "fixed".

I'm a Martin guy, and support the brand...and on a $100 guitar that might be almost par for the course, but on a $3000 high-end custom shop (especially!) guitar, it's just flat not acceptable.

I've read several accounts of the same sort of binding issues with Martin guitars lately. I hope it's not a trend.
Old 05-28-2019, 10:14 AM

You might head over here to see more examples and, perhaps, commiserate.

https://umgf.com/loose-binding-t198004.html
Old 05-28-2019, 10:18 AM
Charter Member

The only guitar I've had binding separation issues with was also a Martin Custom Shop model. A tech told me that the finish is typically thinner on Custom Shop models and it is just more common with thinner finishes. I have no clue if that is true or not.
Martin Dread Jr
Seagull S6 Spruce
Fender '61 Thin Skin Strat
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
PRS Tremonti SE
PRS SC245

They say that tone is in the fingers....I say it is in your head.
Old 05-28-2019, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Blue View Post
The only guitar I've had binding separation issues with was also a Martin Custom Shop model. A tech told me that the finish is typically thinner on Custom Shop models and it is just more common with thinner finishes. I have no clue if that is true or not.
Both of those statements are wrong. Custom shop gloss finish is idential to the standard series unless you pay extra and specifically order the Thin Finish Package (not many have this feature). And, two, the finish plays zero role in holding the binding in place. This is purely a problem of trying to use a common glue to adhere to both wood (body) and plastic (binding) in a way that wonít disrupt or disfigure the overlying nitro finish. Most of the guitars on the above mentioned UMGF thread re standard series Martins, and most of the customs do not have the thinner finish. Itís also worth noting the Authentic series has the thinnest finish of all, and Iím not seeing many Authentics listed (although not impossible).
Old 05-28-2019, 10:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoopeda View Post
Both of those statements are wrong. Custom shop gloss finish is idential to the standard series unless you pay extra and specifically order the Thin Finish Package (not many have this feature). And, two, the finish plays zero role in holding the binding in place. This is purely a problem of trying to use a common glue to adhere to both wood (body) and plastic (binding) in a way that won’t disrupt or disfigure the overlying nitro finish. Most of the guitars on the above mentioned UMGF thread re standard series Martins, and most of the customs do not have the thinner finish. It’s also worth noting the Authentic series has the thinnest finish of all, and I’m not seeing many Authentics listed (although not impossible).
My 000-28 did have a thinner finish If I remember correctly. Thanks for the input.
Martin Dread Jr
Seagull S6 Spruce
Fender '61 Thin Skin Strat
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
PRS Tremonti SE
PRS SC245

They say that tone is in the fingers....I say it is in your head.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion