The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 05-09-2021, 06:08 PM

Yup. Semi-Rural but in an area with crazy money-ed up tech folks sprinkled about. Great medical care, and shopping nearby. 25 minutes to a "real-ish" city.

Never have to go to a "Big City" yet have access to Asian and Indian markets.

Infrastructure is a little dicey in terms of electricity. Put in full house generator. Near perfect place to live for my needs.

Would I like to be walking distance to fishable rivers/creeks? Yeah. Unfortunately I stopped fishing 4 or 5 years ago. When you get to the woods that's where the Meth happens... Not scared of the people really. Just not interested in replacing car windows and catalytic converters on a regular basis...
Old 05-09-2021, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahorsewithnonam View Post
Are you ok with your current home/community?
We spent about 3 years trying to figure out where we wanted to move to. We were kind of tired of having houses right next door in Salt Lake City, not to mention the air pollution. We ended up with a nicely well set-up place on 15 acres of the Kaniksu National Forest overlooking Lake Pend Oreille. All is OK now, that's for sure!

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 05-09-2021, 06:41 PM

We lived in the same house in Phoenix for 26 years. The lot was just big enough to hold the house, surrounded by cement block walls. The area started out relatively peaceful but changed for the worse over the years. Something like 1.7 million people live in Phoenix, and they all drive on the roads at the same time. Burglaries and crime went up and just a general decay of the area around us. We raised two boys and completed two careers, and figured it was time to get out.

We just moved into our new house last June. Upstate SC is a beautiful, less populated area and we love it. Our new home is in the woods with a little creek running behind it. Squirrels, birds, deer and green grass. A big lake is about 5 minutes away, along with hiking, shopping and restaurants. I think around 10,000 people live in our new town. We're very happy with our current home.
Old 05-09-2021, 06:49 PM

I wish I could move to a bigger house, but that’s quite hard in Hawaii. At least I own my current townhome and I’m currently in the process of remodeling the bathrooms and kitchen. Love how hole constantly increase in value here.
Old 05-09-2021, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasinaz View Post
We lived in the same house in Phoenix for 26 years. The lot was just big enough to hold the house, surrounded by cement block walls. The area started out relatively peaceful but changed for the worse over the years. Something like 1.7 million people live in Phoenix, and they all drive on the roads at the same time. Burglaries and crime went up and just a general decay of the area around us. We raised two boys and completed two careers, and figured it was time to get out.

We just moved into our new house last June. Upstate SC is a beautiful, less populated area and we love it. Our new home is in the woods with a little creek running behind it. Squirrels, birds, deer and green grass. A big lake is about 5 minutes away, along with hiking, shopping and restaurants. I think around 10,000 people live in our new town. We're very happy with our current home.
Wow, that’s a huge change. Clear across the country. Sounds wonderful. Was it difficult to make this big of a change?
Old 05-09-2021, 07:09 PM

Moved from New Jersey suburbia to a small farm out on a dirt road in central New Hampshire in 1980. Absolutely love it, but it's not for everyone - brutal long winters, not much to do in bad weather. However, we have beautiful countryside, great friends and neighbors, 1/2 hour to a lively college town, skiing and snowshoeing and hiking out our back door, rarely lock our doors. Our house is far from perfect - no central heat, only 1/2 a basement, but after 40 years, we still love it. As I get into my 70's not sure how long I can keep up with the maintenance, but so far so good - it does keep me in shape. I can't imagine living anywhere else, especially with out 2 kids and grandchild fairly close by.
Old 05-10-2021, 07:47 AM

Been in our current home on the Columbia River since 2001. Longest I've ever lived in one place, been here so long I got to calling it home.

Canoe, SUP, fish, bicycle, XC ski or walk the dogs along 20+ miles of paved non-motorized trail right out the back door.

We paid it off several years ago. No plans on moving. It's been a pretty tight-knit neighborhood with regular Christmas, July 4th and housewarming parties over the years.

Recent events locally and nationally have strained things. Now we all know maybe a little too much about each other. I'm not sure I'll be able to go back to the way things used to be with my coworkers, acquaintances, neighbors or family....
Old 05-10-2021, 07:59 AM
Charter Member

Yes, I'm OK here. Not retired so I better be!

My wife recently retired and wouldn't mind being somewhere warmer, but we are the only support for 3 aging parents who live within a few minutes of us. And our children and their families are nearby, or about to be. I've watched others move away and regret it, despite our harsh winters and fairly high cost of living.

I've lived here (suburban Hartford, CT area) all my life. While I love to travel, I have no desire to move. I value the friends, family and business relationships it has taken a lifetime to build. We are an hour from the ocean, an hour from the mountains, and 2 hours to the big cities. A few months in the sun in the winter sure sounds nice, though
Old 05-10-2021, 08:32 AM

We've lived in the same small town in IL for 62 of our 68 years. Owned a business here for 40 years until I retired last December. At the moment we will stay in our house. I can see a day down the road when we will move to a condo as I lost a leg to cancer in 2018 and now am pretty restricted on what I can do in terms of maintenance, etc.

We winter (Jan/Feb) on Padre Island in TX to get away from the snow and ice. IL is not the best place to live for reasons we won't get into here but the state is pleasantly easy on retiree income so I don't see us leaving as friends and family are here.

St. Louis is just a 30 minute drive across the river with access to top flite medical facilities, restaurants and entertainment. Our small town is about the safest place around. If you want to play my guitars and drink my beer when we aren't home just walk through the back gate and into the garage and house from the patio. The door is never locked until we go to bed.
Old 05-10-2021, 08:48 AM
Charter Member

Yes I am happy here where I live. Small college town with a big college. I've lived in this area most of my life. I moved away twice. When I got out of the Navy I took up residence in Florida but came back after a few years. Then when I retired I bought a place in Puerto Rico, but kept the place up here. Just didn't sell it for some reason. Seven years later I sold the place in PR and moved back. I don't know why though, if you ask me. I don't rationalize things a lot. I just like it here.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 05-10-2021, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahorsewithnonam View Post
Wow, that’s a huge change. Clear across the country. Sounds wonderful. Was it difficult to make this big of a change?
It was hard logistically to move our important things here, from AZ. A lot of our furniture and stuff was older, so it went away. We were able to buy the new house a couple months before we moved, so that helped. I bought a trailer and made a couple trips to the new home. After our old house sold we packed up what was left and headed east. I have an Air Force buddy living in this area, who was able to help with different things.

I didn't realize how much stress living in AZ was causing until we got here and started to decompress. I've been back to AZ a couple times since we moved, and am glad to leave each time. We've adjusted to our slower, quieter lifestyle....

Last edited by thomasinaz; 05-10-2021 at 10:02 AM.
Old 05-10-2021, 10:17 AM
Charter Member

....we feel blessed to live on our little six acre farm in Oregon....the quirky little town of Silverton is about 8 miles away....downtown Portland is an hour away when we need a fine dining fix or to attend a concert or festival.....we have a creek with water rights.....pasture and extensive gardens....even a massive old growth Fir tree up on the hill....we get along with the neighbors....both of our daughters live in Salem about 30 minutes away.....

....but like many places Oregon its changing fast....we’ve been here for 30 years and long for the way it used to be...when we could go to the coast or up to the mountains on a Friday evening and find a choice camping spot without reservations....

...but at least were tucked away up the beautiful Abiqua valley....it’s peaceful here....we have a swallow colony...eagles and hawks above....were all organic and have a groovy little biodynamic scene going on....so we’re more than ok....like I said...were blessed...
Old 05-10-2021, 10:22 AM

I've been at this house and 7 acres for 20+ years. I would describe both the house and community as just OK. There are good things and bad things about both.
Old 05-10-2021, 10:29 AM

Since I made the other thread about the housing market, obviously no.

I live in a condo and my guest room is also my office/music room and I don't have a garage. I want another bedroom, so my guest room can be free for use whenever, separated from my music room/office. I also want a garage for extra storage and I want an electric car soon as well.

On top of that, my HOA is higher than average and my HOA is also horribly run. If it was run well and worth it, it would be fine, but they always mess everything up and aren't very responsive.

My location is great and I don't mind my current place minus those issues, but I would really like to move on ASAP. But, as mentioned in my housing thread, I don't know if that's feasible right now.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 05-10-2021, 12:50 PM

28 years in Fargo, pie shaped lot so privacy from side neighbors....VA is behind us--some major changes there, but big privacy fence and nice and quiet...Fargo is a great town--three universities, good deal of music and art, breweries, great local restaurants that are way more diverse than you'd think...not much crime, good schools....have a small lake cabin two hours away that's as close to wilderness as you can get (with bear!)...retirement in 3-4 years, and will maybe move closer to Minneapolis--one kid there, second likely to follow....third is currently in Arizona...hard to not be satisfied!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic