The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-13-2021, 07:35 PM

Question Martin guitars quality?

Hi,

I have been looking for an used Martin acoustic-electric and I have found alarge number of Martin guitars either in new condition, or recently purchase that have cracks, the bridge is becoming separated from the body, etc. etc.

Can someone that knows a little more about the brand give me an opinion?

Is this normal?, are Martin guitars quality not that great for entry level models?

Thanks!

Last edited by pablitus; 05-18-2021 at 12:33 PM.
Old 05-13-2021, 08:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablitus View Post
Hi,

I have been looking for an used Martin acoustic-electric and I have found alarge number of Martin guitars either in new condition, or recently purchase that have cracks, the bridge is becoming separated from the body, etc. etc.

Can someone that knows a little more about the brand give me an opinion?

Is this normal?, are Martin guitars quality not that great for entry level models?

Thanks!
What's a large number?
Old 05-13-2021, 08:15 PM

You must be looking at guitars that are not maintained, such as....every guitar sold by Guitar Center. That is not typical nor indicative of Martin's quality, which is pretty consistently great.
Old 05-13-2021, 08:23 PM

Get ready for a rumble.

You will find out soon enough, that Martin is the gold standard and better at building guitars than anyone in the world.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 05-13-2021, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylor4 View Post
...You will find out soon enough, that Martin is the gold standard and better at building guitars than anyone in the world.
They were at one time (through about the late-80's IME), and easily could be again if they so choose - the Authentic series is proof positive...

As for me, I've long since "reimagined" any desire I might have for a new regular-production CFM IV & Co. product...
Old 05-13-2021, 10:22 PM

I have to say as of 2021 I'm happy with my Eastmans. I have owned and played Martins over the last 56 years since age 11 when I started lessons..Some Martins I owned D28(2) D18(3) 1 post 2012 and 2 in the mid 90's. D15 and D15M, Martin D18 custom,D16 mid 90's HD28(2004). Still own the HD28 and the 2012 D18. But for the price of todays Martins being retired and fixed income I discovered Eastman in 2016 when I bought a E20D SB that is a bluegrass cannon. A new Eastman AC630SB(jumbo)back in January which has a unbelievable sound.Also got a new Red Label FG5 Yamaha that was under a grand and is well made and rivals the D18. I have not bought a new Martin since 2012. The FG5 and both Eastmans added up would not get me a custom shop D18 today. Is Martin good today not sure what the new 2021 models are quality wise but back when I bought Martins they were the best probably still are in the standard series and up. But if you don't want to pay $2400.00 to $2899.00 for a D28 try a Eastman E20D less than half the price of the D28.
Old 05-13-2021, 11:42 PM

As I mentioned in my original post, I was asking about entry level Martins, like the X series.

Today, one sold in reverbin which the seller stated that the bridge was coming off the body and he bought it six months ago. That is not maintenance, that is just not a good quality.

Maybe they do have issues with the entry level?, I don't know.

I doubt it that they will have this issues on a 3k guitar, but unfortunately that is not within my budget.
Old 05-14-2021, 12:38 AM

pablitus,

I have two entry level Martins that are damaged, BUT it was my fault in both cases.
I took my Martin DM to Norway for 3 weeks in the summer. Travelled along the wet west coast. And this means wet. Afterward I took it back in the dry plane into my dry house. What a crack! :-)
The second, a 000-1, is now at the guitar doctor. My house gets dry in the winter months, humidity s down to 20%. 2 years ago I didn’t play it much and forgot to water the humiditor for a few months. And it also cracked, had to. Of course the case is not the best one.

You know, some people have a hard time to accept their own mistakes and blame the rest of the world if they make them. That’s why the internet is full of accusations.

The only real quality problem I found, was the bindig of my 2013 CEO-7. They obviously used binding that was not cured enough, was shrinking and got seperated from the body. That shouldn’t happen but there is no real damage to the guitar. I will get mine back from the doctor today.
Martin makes great guitars, also their cheaper ones are nice.
Martin D-18MD, Martin OM-21, Martin CEO-7, Martin J-40, Martin 000-1, Guild D-55, Guild D-140, Gibson SJ-200, Gibson Hummingbird, Gibson Frank Hannon Love Dove, Gibson Southern Jumbo, Furch Gc-SR Red Deluxe, Furch Yellow Masters Choice, Larrivee P-03ww, Kawaii piano, mandolines, drumsets, doublebass, Fender Jazzbass, ...
Old 05-14-2021, 12:49 AM

They have reputation at loosing blinding...

Grace Felix
L.R.Baggs Mixpro
Zoom A3

Trace Elliot TA40CR
Henriksen the Bud ten
Old 05-14-2021, 01:39 AM
Charter Member

I can't comment on Martin's q/a for its cheaper MIM guitars. So this post is more general about different guitar building approaches from different manufacturers.

A few guitar companies do build with stability and longevity in mind, understanding that their instruments are likely to be used in the "real world". This of course means some modifications to the "traditional" methods. Other guitar companies pride themselves on building guitars the way they did in the "old days", and many folks like that usp.

Buying a guitar is as much an emotional purchase as a pragmatic one. The important thing is that you are happy with the inevitable compromises tied up in any guitar purchase.

For me, cheap Martin guitars don't float my boat, mainly because in the UK cheap Martin guitars are actually quite expensive and so are rarely stocked by shops. They don't hold up against the competition over here in their price range (unless you really want the name on the headstock).

The Canadian built Godin brands come in cheaper over here (Seagull, Art and Lutherie, Simon and Patrick) than the MIM Martins. And they seem to hold up to our climate in general use (ie living out on a guitar stand). Mind you, the building approach and structure is very different to a Martin, but so is the tone. I know that Godin has overwintered some guitars in the open air outside the factory in Quebec to check on robustness.

I just give Godin as an example of a company who takes a different approach to stability and longevity by placing it higher up the priority list than other factors - there are other companies that do something similar and others for whom traditional building methods are all important.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Last edited by Robin, Wales; 05-14-2021 at 02:18 AM.
Old 05-14-2021, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablitus View Post
Hi,

I have been looking for an used Martin acoustic-electric and I have found alarge number of Martin guitars either in new condition, or recently purchase that have cracks, the bridge is becoming separated from the body, etc. etc.!
Really? Where have you been looking?
Old 05-14-2021, 04:39 AM

I see it’s Martin’s turn in the barrel.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 05-14-2021, 06:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
I see it’s Martin’s turn in the barrel.
Good that Taylor and Gibson get a day off on occasion
Old 05-14-2021, 08:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylor4 View Post

Get ready for a rumble.

You will find out soon enough, that Martin is the gold standard and better at building guitars than anyone in the world.
I know you're being facetious, but Martin guitars are the standard that all other guitars are judged against. How many times, on this forum do you see someone post ''my guitar sounds better than a Martin''? Also, how many boutique builders do you see who copy Martin models but claim to make them better? Same goes for most of the lesser brands. Every dreadnought guitar owes it's existence to the Martin design.

Sure there are better, more expensive guitars, but when players think of a good guitar, most of them will be thinking of Martin.

To the OP, there is nothing wrong with Martin's Mexican made guitars. Just like any other guitar if you take care of it, it will last a long, long time. If you don't an abuse it, it could be falling apart in as little as 6 months.
Old 05-14-2021, 08:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasfan1 View Post
They have reputation at loosing blinding...
True...but mostly only on the 2013-2016 build models.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion