The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 05-13-2021, 08:00 AM

Another very beautiful guitar coming from your shop. Put me down as a fan of the rosette also, cool, but not over the top to distract in any way!
Old 05-13-2021, 10:18 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Another very beautiful guitar coming from your shop. Put me down as a fan of the rosette also, cool, but not over the top to distract in any way!

Thanks Tom! I've always been drawn more to subtlety than in-your-face bling. I like the idea that there's more to discover the closer you look at things.
instagram
Old 08-23-2021, 08:23 AM
AGF Sponsor

This one just got back from the finishers last week and I'm super pleased with how the tamarindo is looking under finish. First, some final woodworking pics...

There are a couple of key lines I really like nail when I'm carving a neck. One of those is the transition to the volute -- my goal is to keep the neck straight and flat as it approaches the nut slot with the volute peaking over the center of the nut to provide extra thickness in a potentially weak spot. This is a mid-process shot that's just about got it...

And here's the body cleaned up with the flush cutaway transition between the neck and body finalized...

And now with some finish on it!

Another view of how the cutaway twists to meet the taper of the neck...

As far as material properties of the wood are concerned, the lutz spruce top on this one is probably the best I've used. I'm really really excited to hear it come to life in the next couple of weeks!

This guitar is destined for Dream Guitars in September but is available to pre-order now. The last one I built for them was grabbed before even getting shipped down there, so please get in touch if you have any interest or questions!
instagram
Old 08-24-2021, 07:01 AM
AGF Sponsor

Beautiful guitar Mike!!! Your aesthetic design philosophy resonates with me…as I also tend toward the understated, and allow the viewer to notice the subtle details as they look more closely at the guitar. Well done…I’m looking forward to seeing and hearing this one when it’s completed.

-joel

‘17 Two Hands Guitar Co.
0000/Auditorium, Sitka/Indonesian RW

‘93 Taylor 712 (I spent 20 years trying to convince the owner to sell me this guitar)

‘95 Taylor Limited Edition GAWS (I traded my Gibson J-200 for this guitar in ‘95)

TWO HANDS GUITARS
Old 08-25-2021, 07:37 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Teel View Post
Beautiful guitar Mike!!! Your aesthetic design philosophy resonates with me…as I also tend toward the understated, and allow the viewer to notice the subtle details as they look more closely at the guitar. Well done…I’m looking forward to seeing and hearing this one when it’s completed.

Thanks! I'm definitely drawn to more subtle designs and really like the idea of people discovering as they look closer. And that Pyinma guitar you've got ready for the B.I.G. weekend is looking killer as well -- seems like it's going to be an awesome weekend!
instagram
Old 11-04-2021, 08:07 AM
AGF Sponsor

I'm very pleased to announce that the Tamarindo GC cutaway has officially landed at Dream Guitars! I'm incredibly happy with how this one turned out both aesthetically and sonically. As per usual the folks at Dream Guitars have done a bang up job with the photos and videos for you all to take a look at. I've included a few below but I'd recommend checking out the full deal on their site and feel free to get in touch with any questions!

Thanks for looking everyone!
instagram
Old 11-04-2021, 09:14 AM
AGF Sponsor

Very nice Mike. Elegant work as always.

Kinnaird Guitars - from the oldest town in Texas
Old 11-04-2021, 12:13 PM

Hey Mike, there’s always something interesting coming off your bench these days. Very beautiful B/S set and nice details all round, someone will have themselves a lovely guitar with this purchase. Great seeing all the details you show here on the AGF, with all your builds

2018 Michaud OO-R
2012 Webber Dreadnaught *SOLD*
2010 Eastman E20OM
1994 Guild D30
1979 Yamaha FG375S (retired)
1974 Norman B30 (retired)
Old 11-05-2021, 08:05 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nacluth View Post
Very nice Mike. Elegant work as always.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBKuz View Post
Hey Mike, there’s always something interesting coming off your bench these days. Very beautiful B/S set and nice details all round, someone will have themselves a lovely guitar with this purchase. Great seeing all the details you show here on the AGF, with all your builds

Cheers, thanks!
instagram

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop