The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 05-11-2021, 06:46 PM

Default SUP? (Stand Up Paddleboard)

I tried one a few years ago, and enjoyed it. But the weight and bulkiness of the one's I saw kept me from seriously considering buying one.

My stepson recently bought inflatable SUP's (from BOTE) for himself and his girlfriend (who had a regular one that she never used because the weight and the bulk...she sold that after getting the inflatable one). I tried it while visiting my stepson over Mother's Day, and liked it. It didn't seem as stable as the one I tried a few years ago, but the portability (can fit in the trunk of a car) and weight (hers 10 and 1/2 feet long an is only 30 pounds; his more like 12 and 1/2 feet and is 47 pounds...but he bought one that will allow carry some extra stuff so he can him some fly-fishing from it).

I'd love to hear about other people's experiences and recommendations.
Old 05-11-2021, 10:12 PM

We live a very short walk (about 100 feet) from the Columbia river. We go out paddling several times a week (well my wife does - she only works part time).

The rigid boards definitely balance and ride better. They weigh more than the inflatables, but the inflatables are just as bulky to carry when inflated.

In the time it takes to pump up the inflatable board I could already be on the river on my rigid board.

The inflatables are great for travel though. I have a long bed crew cab pickup and a 25' Airstream and can't easily transport the rigid boards in either one.
Old 05-12-2021, 05:43 AM

I forgot I was in the open mic section, and read this title as stand-up pedalboard. I was very confused .....
Old 05-12-2021, 09:58 AM

In case you haven't heard of them, Sea Eagle has a whole line of inflatable craft including stand up paddleboards. I've never used them but I keep looking at their inflatable fishing boats.
Old 05-12-2021, 10:00 AM
Charter Member

We have a Tower inflatable, purchased online. It folds down into the size of a large briefcase. It didn't come with a bag but none is needed, I just tuck it under my arm to carry. Comes with a special pump, and is hard as a rock when inflated. Takes 5 minutes or a bit more, but I only do it once a year.

It lives along the lifelines on our sailboat. I wanted something I could stow below in heavy weather, unlike a rigid board. That has not been necessary yet. And the price was right, maybe $400 or so?

After 3 seasons we are very happy with it. No issues with the quality. The 45 pound dog likes to ride along. The only downside is that it is taller than a rigid board, so it sits higher in the water, and is more prone to being pushed around in a breeze. So we tend to use it mostly in the morning in protected areas, when the wind is low and there aren't a lot of wakes or waves. Someone (younger!) with more experience and ability would probably do just fine in rougher conditions.

It is fun, and a decent workout if you want it to be. Half an hour is plenty for this old dog.

I first saw these things visiting Hawaii about 12 years ago. That looks really stupid, I said to myself, who would ever want to do that?
Old 05-12-2021, 11:07 AM

I second the Tower paddle board recommendation. They are great, easy to inflate if you buys an electric pump and very stable. I have had 3. The only caution is be carefull about leaving them out in the sunlight for extended period. I stored mine on the deck of my sailboat for 4 years and the deck padding starting to disintegrate from sun damage.
Old 05-12-2021, 11:27 AM

I somehow read "pedalboard" in the title and clicked on the thread. The it got to inflatable, 10.5' and 30lbs.... I was thinking what the h..., then I realized you weren't talking about pedal boards. Still, if you don't mind, I'd like to see a pic of the 10.5', 30lb inflatable pedal board when you get a chance.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic