The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 05-29-2022, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
You might have read it in my article, linked to above. I got the story from an interview of Bill Szymczyk, producer engineer, and brother-he-never-had to Joe.
Thanks, pretty sure I'd read your article sometime in the past. Not sure why Google didn't pull it up this time. Part of the beauty of digital recording is that you can always be rolling and not have to worry about the expense of tape. Bits are free and infinitely reusable.
Old 05-29-2022, 11:44 AM
Charter Member

I have found that I've always had trouble with red light fever. If I can't do a recording well in the first few takes, it's because I have not done my homework, I've not practiced enough. I, too, have found that recording is very good practice for playing in front of others. For me it's the same kind of stress. But when I am very well practiced, the stress pretty much goes away.

- Glenn
Old 05-30-2022, 03:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
I have found that I've always had trouble with red light fever. If I can't do a recording well in the first few takes, it's because I have not done my homework, I've not practiced enough. I, too, have found that recording is very good practice for playing in front of others. For me it's the same kind of stress. But when I am very well practiced, the stress pretty much goes away.

- Glenn
I think Glenn has summed it up nicely.

For me, recording introduces a stress/pressure
.if I am sufficiently well-rehearsed this is not an issue. If I'm not, I might get a good take anyway but I couldn't count on it.
Old 05-30-2022, 07:56 AM
Charter Member

When I was in my recording mode, I looked at it like shooting a scene of a movie. Though your attention is on what is happening as you watch a scene, we all know that there are twenty people behind the camera doing various jobs. That helped me understand that there aren't rules so much as the results are what is important. I used to just do multiple takes and then go through them later. Cutting and pasting was just another tool. A person does let their guard down when they know that most of the takes are going in the trash. It's not a do or die type of thing.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 06-06-2022, 07:40 AM
Charter Member

I agree that practice is key I was at a seminar by Chris Proctor and he said
"amateurs practice until they get it right ,,pros practice until they can't get it wrong." ...................

For me (perhaps because I gigged for years before trying to record) I think recording " Red Light Fever" is more pronounced than "Live Stage Fright".
Live I was almost always able to cover an minor flub BUT in recording even the slightest flub literally SCREAMS "mistake LOOK LOOK mistake "

That said I also agree with the suggestion to just practice recording

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 06-07-2022, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post

They call it "red light fever." As a producer/engineer and session player, I've dealt with it on both sides of the glass.

As an engineer I never say, "We're recording," over the headphones. I'll say, "You can go right ahead," or "Whenever you are ready." That word, "recording," locks some people up.

As a player I learned that it came down to doing it and surviving, and learning to engage in a positive inner dialog. I even wrote up a page about it, HERE. I hope you find something useful there.

Bob
I am very new to performing in public, like I just started a few months ago. My first open mic I was terrified, I almost did not go on, but I said hell, I gotta start somewhere... and I was a little shaky but I did ok, I've played a few more open mics and a few gigs since, I still get so nervous to play in front of people. The positive self talk is huge and works. Your article is spot on!

I've been taking voice lessons for a few months now and I will also get nervous to sing in front of my teacher, she's also very encouraging and says, she would not let me go perform somewhere if she didn't think I was ready. She did tell me not to book Carnegie Hall or the Grand Ole Opry just yet
2021 Fender Strat AM Pro II
Old 06-07-2022, 01:02 PM

I call this REDLIGHTITUS

The more you do it, (record) the less you care.

And last time we were in the studio, we didn't let the other guitarist know we were recording, and by cracky, he usually made far less mistakes.
still made some, but, once he new the red light was on, man, he'd turn into a puddle

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write