The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-14-2020, 04:33 PM

Default Martin SC-13e | Opinions please

I am almost ready to pull the trigger on this guitar; I'm not in a position to go and play it, well there are not many in Australia ATM and I am a very long way from any GC that has one.

1. From a playability point of view, I think this guitar might for me.

2. The sound, many mixed reviews about the sound, especially plugged in. I am not overly concerned about the sound when plugged in. Unplugged, very much so.

3. The guitar is laminated back and sides. Many have complained it ought to be all solid wood. ( Solid Mahogany and Koa Fine Veneer.)

Negative comments about this guitar are always from those who have listened to the guitar played on YouTube. Owners speak highly about how these instruments sound. That being said, it's not a D-28

I have spent hours reading and listening to commentary about this instrument.

It is at the end of the day, a Martin, the amount of research and ingenuity poured into this instrument is impressive.

Is there anyone here interested in this guitar and would care to offer up their assessment of it?

Overview
https://www.martinguitar.com/new-sc-...ectric-guitar/

Specs
https://www.martinguitar.com/guitars...series/sc-13e/

Review
http://onemanz.com/guitar/reviews/ac...martin/sc-13e/

Pete

"Never take a fool with you when you go, because you can always pick one up when you get there"! Billy Connolly.

Last edited by PetesaHut; 06-14-2020 at 04:40 PM.
Old 06-14-2020, 04:36 PM

It looks like a huge step for Martin without affecting their traditional roots. Very Taylor-esque and that is a compliment.
Old 06-14-2020, 04:38 PM
Charter Member

I'd love to try one.
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class
Old 06-14-2020, 04:43 PM
Charter Member

Anyone knows of one in Ireland/UK/EU I'll buy it right now.
Lowden S32J
Guild F-512e (Spruce/Rosewood)
Old 06-14-2020, 09:15 PM

I mean look if you're willing to pay approximately $1,000+ more in price for the standard price of a laminate guitar then go for it. Marketing works. Branding works. You asked for opinions, all I can say is if Yamaha came out with something like this, together with the supposedly revolutionary design ideas, would you still be interested?
Old 06-14-2020, 09:39 PM

While I’ll probably never need one of these for my playing purposes, I think these are pretty cool guitars and Martin found a nice niche to step away from their traditional models.

As far as the laminate snobbery, I don’t think is anything wrong with a laminate at this price point. My Gibson has a laminate back and my new Takamine has laminate sides. They are both at a price point over $1000 and both sound great. Honestly with this being a road and stage type guitar, laminate is probably better. I’m sure it’s nice layered stuff and not the cheap plywood like an Esteban or Rogue.

I probably wouldn’t buy this for my purposes, but I do think it would be a fun guitar to play and a great tool if I was someone who gigged regularly.
Old 06-14-2020, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John5 View Post
I mean look if you're willing to pay approximately $1,000+ more in price for the standard price of a laminate guitar then go for it. Marketing works. Branding works. You asked for opinions, all I can say is if Yamaha came out with something like this, together with the supposedly revolutionary design ideas, would you still be interested?
Uh oh, the Martin traditionalists have been offended.

Is it so outside the realm of possibility that he just might be interested in a guitar made by the lowly manufacturer Yamaha? A few people out there are...lol
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 06-14-2020, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussL30 View Post
While I’ll probably never need one of these for my playing purposes, I think these are pretty cool guitars and Martin found a nice niche to step away from their traditional models.

As far as the laminate snobbery, I don’t think is anything wrong with a laminate at this price point. My Gibson has a laminate back and my new Takamine has laminate sides. They are both at a price point over $1000 and both sound great. Honestly with this being a road and stage type guitar, laminate is probably better. I’m sure it’s nice layered stuff and not the cheap plywood like an Esteban or Rogue.

I probably wouldn’t buy this for my purposes, but I do think it would be a fun guitar to play and a great tool if I was someone who gigged regularly.
Some of the best instruments in the world are made with laminate back and sides...I remember someone posting on here they even some of the highest end Greenfields have laminate back and sides...
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 06-14-2020, 11:25 PM

Quote:
I have a lot of respect for Yamaha and their guitars, so the answer is yes I would look at it.

"Quote" The back and sides are gorgeous Hawaiian koa, laid down as a fine veneer over an interior core made of solid Khaya "End quote"

Technically a veneer back and sides, but in this case solid Khaya with a thin layer of Koa.

"Never take a fool with you when you go, because you can always pick one up when you get there"! Billy Connolly.
Old 06-16-2020, 08:39 AM

Quote:
...You asked for opinions, all I can say is if Yamaha came out with something like this, together with the supposedly revolutionary design ideas, would you still be interested?
No., because Yamaha wouldn't command nearly the resale value if I decided to sell it later. It would have to be a sub-$700 guitar for me to be interested in a Yamaha version.

And, I am not a Martin-only fan. I have or have had, Fenders, Ovations, Martins, Taylors, etc.. However, I do prefer Martin's sound over the others.
Old 06-16-2020, 08:49 AM

I’m thankful for the people who graciously point out the apparent bias that exists for guitars made by a venerable, century and a half old, American icon.

Learning that it’s all about marketing and pulling the wool over the eyes of unsuspecting, easily fooled guitar buyers, is an invaluable contribution.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 06-16-2020, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetesaHut View Post
I am almost ready to pull the trigger on this guitar; I'm not in a position to go and play it, well there are not many in Australia ATM and I am a very long way from any GC that has one.

1. From a playability point of view, I think this guitar might for me.

2. The sound, many mixed reviews about the sound, especially plugged in. I am not overly concerned about the sound when plugged in. Unplugged, very much so.

3. The guitar is laminated back and sides. Many have complained it ought to be all solid wood. ( Solid Mahogany and Koa Fine Veneer.)

Negative comments about this guitar are always from those who have listened to the guitar played on YouTube. Owners speak highly about how these instruments sound. That being said, it's not a D-28

I have spent hours reading and listening to commentary about this instrument.

It is at the end of the day, a Martin, the amount of research and ingenuity poured into this instrument is impressive.

Is there anyone here interested in this guitar and would care to offer up their assessment of it?

Overview
https://www.martinguitar.com/new-sc-...ectric-guitar/

Specs
https://www.martinguitar.com/guitars...series/sc-13e/

Review

Pete
I might be in for a bit of a wait for Martin SC-13e. They're very light on the ground here in Australia. Because of the Pandemic, Martin has only recently re-started production and it might be 2 - 6 months before they are back in stores here.

Old 06-16-2020, 04:37 PM

It would be more relevant to hear from folks who’ve actually had one in their hands, played one.
Old 06-17-2020, 05:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetesaHut View Post
I might be in for a bit of a wait for Martin SC-13e. They're very light on the ground here in Australia. Because of the Pandemic, Martin has only recently re-started production and it might be 2 - 6 months before they are back in stores here.
Supply seems to be loosening up. I just managed to order one from the UK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borderdon View Post
It would be more relevant to hear from folks who’ve actually had one in their hands, played one.
Indeed - hoping to join that group in a few days when it lands.
Lowden S32J
Guild F-512e (Spruce/Rosewood)
Old 06-17-2020, 04:46 PM

Makes me wonder how stock levels for all of Martins guitars or any US manufacturer stands at the moment. I heard Martin had to stop production due to lack of supplies.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion