The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 09-30-2022, 01:20 PM

Default A 3-Way Demo (remixed and swapped mandolin)

An older song of mine for demo'ing

AKG C414 EB P48 microphone
Flatiron Performer A Mandolin EDIT!!! (swapped for 1917 Gibson A1 mando see post number #3)
Martin SP0016TR Guitar with Mapes Phosphor Bronze Acoustic Strings

I just got this older 80's AKG C414 EB P48 microphone (used on the mando and guitar), and the 1917 Gibson mandolin. I'm also trying Mapes strings for the first time on my old 1998 Martin. So no better way to try them all out at once than turning on the recorder

Last edited by rockabilly69; 10-01-2022 at 03:56 PM.
Old 10-01-2022, 09:55 AM
Charter Member

That was great, Daniel! Nice playing all around, great singing, and I loved the combination of the guitar and the mandolin. Great job on the recording, too!

- Glenn
Old 10-01-2022, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
That was great, Daniel! Nice playing all around, great singing, and I loved the combination of the guitar and the mandolin. Great job on the recording, too!

- Glenn
Thanks Glenn, I did this recording for three reasons, one, to hear the new equipment, two, to arrange the song for a duet including mandolin and harmony vocal, and three, to hear the Mapes guitars strings. These strings are ridiculously cheap, but they really good. They are 3 sets for 20 dollars. And I used a lighter gauge than normal to compensate for the difference in scale length between my Gibson giggers and the Martin that I record with. https://www.mapesstrings.com/product/acoustic/

I realized I mixed the guitar a little too low, so I just remixed it. I also swapped the Flatiron mandolin (which I liked) for my vintage Gibson Oval A1 mandolin, which I think is a bit more appropriate for these acoustic blues songs that I write. Give it a listen, see if you can hear the strings better, and the difference in mandolins

Last edited by rockabilly69; 10-01-2022 at 03:45 PM.
Old 10-01-2022, 04:14 PM

Very nice remix, Rocky. Wonderful sounding mandolin track. You cut the mandolin fills back quite a bit, giving the lyrics a lot of air. The guitar part is the loping steam engine pushing the melody forward. I like it all!

frank d.
Old 10-01-2022, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickee View Post
Very nice remix, Rocky. Wonderful sounding mandolin track. You cut the mandolin fills back quite a bit, giving the lyrics a lot of air. The guitar part is the loping steam engine pushing the melody forward. I like it all!

frank d.
Oh that's funny you say that Frank because I always think that rhythm reminds me of a train. Brothers from different mothers!!!
Old 10-01-2022, 05:35 PM

Lovely recording.
The mandolin and guitar sounded great together.
Vocals fit in perfectly.
Enjoying this production.
Rene
Old 10-01-2022, 11:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
Thanks Glenn, I did this recording for three reasons, one, to hear the new equipment, two, to arrange the song for a duet including mandolin and harmony vocal, and three, to hear the Mapes guitars strings. These strings are ridiculously cheap, but they really good. They are 3 sets for 20 dollars. And I used a lighter gauge than normal to compensate for the difference in scale length between my Gibson giggers and the Martin that I record with. https://www.mapesstrings.com/product/acoustic/

I realized I mixed the guitar a little too low, so I just remixed it. I also swapped the Flatiron mandolin (which I liked) for my vintage Gibson Oval A1 mandolin, which I think is a bit more appropriate for these acoustic blues songs that I write. Give it a listen, see if you can hear the strings better, and the difference in mandolins

Hi Daniel,

Yes, I do think that's an even better mix! Very well done! I do like the guitar a little more upfront.

- Glenn
Old 10-02-2022, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReneAsologuitar View Post
Lovely recording.
The mandolin and guitar sounded great together.
Vocals fit in perfectly.
Enjoying this production.
Rene
Thanks Rene, glad you liked it!!!

Quote:
Hi Daniel,

Yes, I do think that's an even better mix! Very well done! I do like the guitar a little more upfront.

- Glenn
Well Glenn, with as much recording as you do, I'm sure you've mixed a song or two in headphones at night, and thought to yourself, what the heck was I doing That's exactly what I did!!! I always appreciate your comments.
Old 10-02-2022, 07:17 AM
Charter Member

This was great. I could have sworn I was listening to a young Rod Stewart. Just super smooth and pretty.
Old 10-02-2022, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalFromChatham View Post
This was great. I could have sworn I was listening to a young Rod Stewart. Just super smooth and pretty.
Thanks for listening Sal! I've been so busy gigging lately that I've hardly had time to record, so it was a lot of fun for me to record this one, and hear the new/old mandolins
Old 10-02-2022, 04:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
...Well Glenn, with as much recording as you do, I'm sure you've mixed a song or two in headphones at night, and thought to yourself, what the heck was I doing That's exactly what I did!!! I always appreciate your comments.
I don't think I have ever mixed a multi-track recording where I didn't need to go back and make adjustments, so I very much understand your point, Daniel. I have learned not to put recordings up in public until I have lived with them a few days.

Also, even if I am satisfied with a mixdown, my wife often has a suggestion that is worth listening to... And she is just about always right.

- Glenn
Old 10-02-2022, 05:34 PM

Quote:
I don't think I have ever mixed a multi-track recording where I didn't need to go back and make adjustments, so I very much understand your point, Daniel. I have learned not to put recordings up in public until I have lived with them a few days.

Also, even if I am satisfied with a mixdown, my wife often has a suggestion that is worth listening to... And she is just about always right.

- Glenn
Well if you ever got into recording for money, you know who you better hire for mixdowns
Old 10-02-2022, 07:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Well if you ever got into recording for money, you know who you better hire for mixdowns
Yes! My wife has been involved in a fair number of those music money-making projects with me and her ears and opinion are invaluable!

Take care, Daniel!

- Glenn
Old 10-02-2022, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Take care, Daniel!

- Glenn
You too Glenn!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell