The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-08-2024, 06:52 AM

Default Suggestions for a mini to take on airlines?

I travel a bit and would like to find a decent mini sized guitar to take on airlines.

I had a Baby Taylor a LONG time ago, but just didn't cut it. It was a bit TOO small, and wouldn't stay in tune. I also used a Traveler Guitar for awhile, but not having a body made it kind of difficult to play.

What would you guys suggest?
Old 03-08-2024, 07:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 815C View Post
I travel a bit and would like to find a decent mini sized guitar to take on airlines.

I had a Baby Taylor a LONG time ago, but just didn't cut it. It was a bit TOO small, and wouldn't stay in tune. I also used a Traveler Guitar for awhile, but not having a body made it kind of difficult to play.

What would you guys suggest?

I’m going to try a Journey Overhead on my next transoceanic flight. I’ll report back.

My former solution was a Larrivee parlor—but the bins seem smaller now?

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 03-08-2024, 07:37 AM
Charter Member

I love traveling with my Furch Little Jane. It's a real guitar with a tuned top, and a reasonably nice, if proportionately heavy, neck. Obviously, it doesn't have the depth and complexity of my nicest guitars, but it has a surprisingly pleasing tone for a travel guitar. The neck detaches and tucks inside of the body with ease, and it comes with a well made and protective backpack style semi-soft case. It's super light all told, and easily fits under a seat or in the overhead compartment. It's a little expensive, but I think it's totally worth the price.
Beard resonator Englemann/walnut
Old 03-08-2024, 07:42 AM

The Yamaha CSF1 is a good choice. It is the laminate back and sides version of Yamaha's parlor guitar, whereas the CSF3 is all solid wood. If you are actually going to travel with it, you want the laminate version. Back-to-back, sound differences are minimal, and it's not like one sounds better, just a tiny bit different.

How does it compare to the GS mini, another well-regarded "travel guitar"? Same basic size. Same type of case (a very good case, in fact). Same scale (or very close), but the neck on the CSF is wider. Although I've never measured it, feels to be the same as the regular FG/FS Yamahas. The mini neck can be a bit cramped. As for sound, they are both shockingly loud for there size. I think the CSF has a little fuller sound, whereas the minis are more mid-focused. I like them both. The CSF comes with higher action out of the box, so you may want to address that with a little saddle sanding. All CSFs come with a pickup that sounds surprisingly good. Prices are quite different. The CSF can be found anywhere for $449, and I got mine out-the-door for $402 with a coupon. GS minis have gotten absurdly expensive, IMO. In fact, since getting the CSF I have sold both of my GS minis (a mahogany and a spruce e-mini) not because I didn't like them anymore, but simply because the new prices are so high, I was able to sell both of mine for considerably more than I paid for them.
Old 03-08-2024, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Owen View Post
I’m going to try a Journey Overhead on my next transoceanic flight. I’ll report back.
I've not heard of this one before. Just looked it up and it seems like it might be what I'm looking for. I don't need to plug it in, but having a full size neck I can practice on is perfect. And the low volume of an unplugged solid body is more perfect
Old 03-08-2024, 08:34 AM
Charter Member

In a few short posts you’ve got the usual suspects—GS Mini and Yamaha CSF1 for non-folding, and the Journey Overhead and Furch Little Jane as folding/detachable options. To the non-folding options, I would add the D-Jr., which like the Yamaha has a fuller neck than the GS Mini.

I also have the Furch LJ and a couple of Minis, and they are all easy to travel with (the LJ being the easiest). The advantage of the Journey is that it is pretty much impervious to climactic conditions, although I’ve found that the GS Minis are also able to handle humidity extremes with aplomb.
Old 03-08-2024, 08:41 AM

I have flown with a gs mini quite a few times with no issues. Upon entering the plane I always ask what they’d like me to do with the guitar and the answer is always the overhead bin. There was one time when they ended up needing a bit more space so they took the guitar and stashed it in one of their closets up front. All good.
Old 03-08-2024, 09:10 AM

Another vote for the gs mini. You may not like it due to the scale since you didn't like the Baby Taylor (which, for me is a sound issue...just don't like those BTs) but it'll sound good and will fit on just about any plane without having to check it.
Old 03-08-2024, 09:25 AM
Charter Member

I have a Journey OF660 (carbon fiber) and a Furch Little Jane. I prefer the LJ for travel. It separates into 3 pieces which fit into a compact pack. If I have to I can fit it under the seat on a flight. I usually take the Journey on road trips where the guitar may sit in a hot car for a while, or if humidity is an issue.
Old 03-08-2024, 09:34 AM

I'll toss in the following, with a caveat or two. Let me first say that I've been an inveterate traveler for years. I also work in the tech industry, so I need to carry a laptop, cables, and other items that comprise my "other carry-on." What I prefer is to carry a suitcase that is FAA-sized for overhead storage and my laptop bag. Adding a guitar bag/case complicates this considerably. But sometimes, allowances must be made.

What I found works well for me is a KLŌS carbon fiber travel guitar. Mine is a hybrid, which means a wood neck. It disassembles and has a bag and sleeve for the neck so it needs not be unstrung. Four screws attach the neck, and they can be undone in minutes. What I typically do, is pack the guitar IN MY SUITCASE. It's small enough, after all. Then, I fill the body with t-shirts, socks and other items so the space taken up inside the suitcase is negligible. Once at my destination, the guitar is re-assembled, tuned and playable in minutes.

So, the caveats: First, it's small. But aren't other travel guitars? Second, the tone is not appropriate for public performing (IMO), but that's not why I'm carrying it. I want to play in the comfort of a hotel room, a ship cabin, or just by myself. The good news is that since the guitar is carbon fiber, I can check my suitcase and not worry about what baggage handlers do to it. That leaves me free for my laptop bag and another carry-on bag, which works well for me on longer trips.

This is NOT the way I pack it, but I include it to show the size of the guitar inside a suitcase. Without the bag it actually takes up less room.

Just a thought.
Old 03-08-2024, 09:35 AM

I've been a traveling musician for ... ever. Years ago I met Harvey Leach and he introduced me to his new (at that time) Voyage Air guitars. From my evaluations and experience, if you want a "real" guitar feel, sound, playability and build - get a Voyage Air. If you have the budget, get an all-solid model and you will totally forget you are playing a folding guitar. I purchased mine directly from Harvey when he was introducing them and I've never regretted it. You can hand the guitar to anyone - experienced or novice - and there is no clue the guitar is anything else but an excellent instrument. He will even make you a custom-build folding "Leach" guitar, if you have the budget.

EDITED TO ADD: Even if you don't want, or have the budget for, an all-solid, the solid-topped models are still great.

Last edited by LAPlayer; 03-09-2024 at 09:56 AM.
Old 03-08-2024, 04:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpt50 View Post
The Yamaha CSF1 is a good choice. It is the laminate back and sides version of Yamaha's parlor guitar, whereas the CSF3 is all solid wood. If you are actually going to travel with it, you want the laminate version.
Agreed, I have a CSF3M that I use to travel in my motorhome. If I were flying I would prefer the laminate model. I play it at home regularly as well, it plays like a real guitar!
Old 03-08-2024, 04:27 PM
Charter Member

I have a Composite Acoustics Cargo with a Gator travel bag sized for a GS Mini. I can fit it in the overhead, closet or even gate check it. What I like mostly about the carbon fiber is that I don’t have to worry about it in the trunk of a car - hot or cold. It is pretty indestructible. What I don’t like about it is the short scale - 22.75”
Old 03-08-2024, 05:01 PM

I changed a Dr Jr and a Journey CF before settling in on the GS Mini mahogany whose tone I love! (and I am not a Taylor fan).

Ll.
Old 03-08-2024, 05:16 PM
Charter Member

A second vote for Voyage Air......If you can find one. IMO it is by far the best travel instrument.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion