The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 02-16-2019, 02:16 PM

Default Polished bass sets?

Just re-strung my Orchestra CE with D’Addario EJ51 Recording string set. I got these on a whim several months ago when I found a set pretty heavily discounted. The polished bass strings are excellent- really good tone, great feel, and almost no string squeak. Don’t know how long they might last, but love them now.

I don’t much care for the sound of nylon strings on my guitar, so the nylon trebles that came with this set came off right away and were replaced with some Savarez Alliance HT carbons I had in reserve. (I like the tone of these and Oasis GPX carbons).

So here’s the dilemma… Just a set of these basses normally run $20+ and I don’t know if I can justify that cost too often. Otherwise I generally prefer Savarez Cantiga basses, but their polished version is pretty expensive too. Are there other polished bass sets out there that are of good tone, but more reasonably priced?

Thanks…

1972 Martin D35-S
2007 Larrivee LV 05e
2017 Cordoba Fusion Orchestra CE
2021 Alvarez AP66ESHB Parlor
2020 Fender Special Custom Telecaster FMT
2011 Custom built Vintage “Strat”
198? Electra X930 Vulcan

Last edited by lkjjr; 02-16-2019 at 02:44 PM.
Old 02-19-2019, 07:23 AM

I've been a fan of the Savarez Cantiga normal tension Bass strings for a while too.

While they're not polished. I just tried the new "premium" version and they've become my favorite. I like the sound and feel of them.. They feel slightly stiffer, but not to the point of high tension. They're lasting longer for me too.

$8.99 for the bass set from SBM.

https://www.stringsbymail.com/savare...set-20691.html[URL="https://www.stringsbymail.com/savarez-cantiga-premium-nt-classical-guitar-strings-dae-bass-set-20691.html"

FWIW, I'm loving the Savarez Alliance high tension trebles combined with the normal tension Cantiga's. The higher tension trebles seem to have eliminated my tendency to slip the 1st string off the fretboard during longer jazz chord stretches.
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 02-19-2019, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkstott View Post
I've been a fan of the Savarez Cantiga normal tension Bass strings for a while too.

FWIW, I'm loving the Savarez Alliance high tension trebles combined with the normal tension Cantiga's. The higher tension trebles seem to have eliminated my tendency to slip the 1st string off the fretboard during longer jazz chord stretches.
Thanks for this feedback. As it so happens I've got 2 sets of Savarez Cantiga normal tension Bass strings on the way from SBM myself. Also have 2 sets of the Oasis GPX HT coming with them. Looks like we both play very similar models of Cordobas that sound sweet with this type of set up.

Still hoping to find some reasonably priced polished basses to try too...

1972 Martin D35-S
2007 Larrivee LV 05e
198? Electra X930 Vulcan
Old 02-19-2019, 10:29 AM

I wish you success in finding polished bass sets that are reasonable priced. Keep me posted if you find any you like.

FWIW, I liked the Oasis GPX normal tensions, but couldn't get the Oasis GPX High tensions off my guitar fast enough. They hurt my fingers when fretting notes.

The specs between the Savarez Alliance high trebles and the high Oasis GPX seem the same, but those Oasis high tension's are hard!! They're like concrete compared to the Savarez Aliiance high tensions. LOL

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkjjr View Post
Thanks for this feedback. As it so happens I've got 2 sets of Savarez Cantiga normal tension Bass strings on the way from SBM myself. Also have 2 sets of the Oasis GPX HT coming with them. Looks like we both play very similar models of Cordobas that sound sweet with this type of set up.

Still hoping to find some reasonably priced polished basses to try too...
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 02-28-2019, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkstott View Post
I wish you success in finding polished bass sets that are reasonable priced. Keep me posted if you find any you like.

FWIW, I liked the Oasis GPX normal tensions, but couldn't get the Oasis GPX High tensions off my guitar fast enough. They hurt my fingers when fretting notes.

The specs between the Savarez Alliance high trebles and the high Oasis GPX seem the same, but those Oasis high tension's are hard!! They're like concrete compared to the Savarez Aliiance high tensions. LOL

Dave
I just put the Oasis GPX high tension trebles on my Cordoba C10 yesterday and they are coming off today. Great sound but just like you these things are killing my fingers. None of my steel string guitars come close to this, nor any other nylon, floro string.

Wish I saw this thread first but I guess it is best to really find out for yourself.

Last edited by DownUpDave; 03-10-2019 at 06:31 AM.
Old 01-24-2021, 02:21 PM

I'm a couple of years down the road now, but thought I'd follow up on this old thread. Never did find the "magic" inexpensive polished bass set. But I did settle on a more reasonably priced set from D'Addario via SBM...
D'Addario EJ46LP Composite HT Lightly Polished Strings LCH-3B Bass Set LCH-3B $13.99

Very satisfied with these - lightly polished, nice warm/full tone and lasts me for a few months of moderate play (about 10 hrs./week)

1972 Martin D35-S
2007 Larrivee LV 05e
198? Electra X930 Vulcan

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical