The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 05-27-2020, 11:05 PM
Charter Member

Congratulations Spock on your retirement!

Your plan for how you will spend your days in retirement is very much like what I did. I retired four years ago. My wife and I go to bed at the same time we used to when we were working, we get up at the same time, I eat the same breakfasts, I go up to my studio where I actually do a couple of hours of part time work most days, then work on music, then come down around noon, have a very little lunch, and spend time with my wife most of the afternoon. The afternoon usually has some yard work or exercise in it, and then we usually spend the evenings together. This system gives us enough separation that we don't get on each other's nerves.

And, once in a while we play hooky and go for a hike or an outing, and then if feels just as liberating as it used to when we were working.

I do a bunch of other things, too, but the point is to echo just what you said. I really do think it helps to have some kind of framework to build each day around.

We've taken on some new routines. We have our own books that we are reading but we also have a common book where we read to each other for an hour or so every afternoon. This started when I was reading to my wife during her recovery after a surgery and then she read to me after my surgery and then we kept doing it.

I can see your wanting to say goodbye to your work family and many of your patients. I felt very much the same way when I retired. I knew I was going to miss these people after working with them for almost 40 years. For me leaving on that last day was actually fairly emotional, though I think I did a reasonable job of keeping this on the inside.

Congratulations again!

- Glenn
Old 05-28-2020, 02:49 PM

Thanks again folks for all of the kind words - I do appreciate it.

Dru, My last day went great. I had pretty much a full schedule and I liked that as it made me appreciate how nice it's going to be to be free of the daily work induced stresses I've endured for so many years.

My immediate work family had lunch catered in and presented cards and gifts, while our department chair honored me and conferred gifts at a surprise all hands clinic gathering that I was not expecting.

To be honest, the clinic supervisor had asked me months ago if I wanted to be provided our customary honorary clinic luncheon that is given for long term employees who move on or retire, and I told her that if it was all the same to her, I would rather just slide out the back door after saying my goodbyes as I am not one for being in the spotlight that way, so I was thinking the day would go that way. And while they more or less did just what I asked them not to do, it was heartfelt and genuine and a nice exclamation point to a great career.

Glen, You and I must be cut from the same cloth as I foresee myself pretty much following the same pattern you are. That is really sweet you and your wife reading to each other - any type of reading material goes or something in particular?

Last edited by spock; 05-28-2020 at 02:57 PM.
Old 05-30-2020, 06:17 PM

Hey congrats, I just retired yesterday 5/29/20 I am so looking forward to starting the next phaze of my life. I'm sure just as you are. congrats again
Old 05-31-2020, 01:05 AM

Congratulations!

I’m still trying to figure out what retirement involves....I’ve been saving and investing diligently for ~35+ years, give or take, maxing out retirement accounts, but it’s hard to know when there’s enough accrued, let alone what to do with myself.

Enjoy your retirement - I hope it’s wonderful.
Old 05-31-2020, 07:11 AM
Charter Member

Default Introspection

It has been my experience that retirement prompts a lot of introspection. Why did my job and my work become so important to me that I lost perspective on activities that I should not have neglected - playing my guitar being chief among them.
Taylor 714ce; Wechter/Scheerhorn square neck reso; Gibson TG-25, HP665; Rockbridge 000 Custom BZ; Guild DS-240, F112; Martin HD-28, J-40, D-15SS; Northwood L-00; Regal resonator; Furch Vintage 3 OM-SR; Larrivee L-03W; Gretsch resonator; Mackenzie/Marr Ian Tyson;
Old 05-31-2020, 08:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Hayden View Post
Congratulations! I’m still trying to figure out what retirement involves....I’ve been saving and investing diligently for ~35+ years, give or take, maxing out retirement accounts, but it’s hard to know when there’s enough accrued, let alone what to do with myself.
What's behind this statement explains the main retirement issue for allot of people. After being on the same track for many, many years and then just stopping is mentally and emotionally upsetting. Obviously there is a hole to be filled and by what? Or who? After the party and the victory laps it comes down to just you dealing with a new normal. Everyone does it differently and there are several socially acceptable ways to go about it. It is a new adventure if you have a mind to look at it that way.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 05-31-2020, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
What's behind this statement explains the main retirement issue for allot of people. After being on the same track for many, many years and then just stopping is mentally and emotionally upsetting. Obviously there is a hole to be filled and by what? Or who? After the party and the victory laps it comes down to just you dealing with a new normal. Everyone does it differently and there are several socially acceptable ways to go about it. It is a new adventure if you have a mind to look at it that way.
Very true. I’ve become used to working and earning income, and it would feel odd to not be doing so. I have lots of outside interests but it seems self-indulgent to pursue them and not work....it’s a major shift in thinking for sure.
Old 05-31-2020, 09:21 AM
Charter Member

Glad you crossed over, Doc Spock.

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 05-31-2020, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock View Post
... I hear so many say they don't know what they'll do in retirement and I just can't imagine that.
Anyone who says this is not being very imaginative. After retirement many people say, "I'm so busy I don't know how I found time to go to work". There is so much more to life than working everyday. I've been retired for 23 years and I'm busy everyday.
Have a great retirement!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic