The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-19-2019, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyMartinMan View Post
No disagreement. I play all my guitars hard and they're all mint or near-mint. They just aren't for "collecting", they're for playing.
I'd be curious as to how you manage to do that. I treat my guitars with great care, but they're nowhere near what I consider "mint." My newest Martin dreadnaught has tiny swirls and haze in the finish that simply results from it being taken out of the case and being put back in. There also appears to be hazing and tiny imperfections in the finish where the guitar sits on my lap. I wear regular clothes, nothing abrasive, when playing, so I'm really curious what one would do to preserve a condition that truly can be considered "mint." To me, that definition would mean absolutely 100% perfect condition, with not even the slightest evidence the instrument ever made it out of the factory.

But I'm also a collector of vinyl records, so perhaps my standards are different.

"Mint" in the vinyl world means a sealed record that was never opened, let alone played. As soon as the sleeve has been opened, the record album is no longer mint, by definition.

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Recording King Dirty 30s RPS-9 TS
Taylor GS Mini
Baton Rouge 12-string guitar
Martin L1XR Little Martin
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro
Old 10-19-2019, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertTwang View Post
I'd be curious as to how you manage to do that. I treat my guitars with great care, but they're nowhere near what I consider "mint." My newest Martin dreadnaught has tiny swirls and haze in the finish that simply results from it being taken out of the case and being put back in. There also appears to be hazing and tiny imperfections in the finish where the guitar sits on my lap. I wear regular clothes, nothing abrasive, when playing, so I'm really curious what one would do to preserve a condition that truly can be considered "mint." To me, that definition would mean absolutely 100% perfect condition, with not even the slightest evidence the instrument ever made it out of the factory.
I've got news for you. There is no such thing as "absolutely 100% perfect condition." I have seen and played brand new guitars made by some of the best builders on the planet, and there is always a finish swirl or some other imperfection.
Old 10-19-2019, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertTwang View Post
....I'd be curious as to how you manage to do that. I treat my guitars with great care, but they're nowhere near what I consider "mint." ....
Sorry the Monk beat me to it. There is no such thing as an "absolutely 100% perfect condition" wooden instrument. People who seek such will always be disappointed. I said mint or near mint - not perfect. I don't agree that taking guitars out of the case causes swirl marks. The finish of the guitar would partially dictate this but about half of my guitars are Nitro and the other half catalyzed urethane all get the same treatment and all look great. If they do get small swirls (very rarely), those are easily buffed out. My performance and studio guitars remain near-mint and - to most people - would seem about perfect. Guitars aren't record albums or comic books to be kept hermetically sealed and viewed from afar. They are built and meant to be played over and over and .....
Old 10-19-2019, 01:42 PM

I’d gladly take 100 dents, chips and scratches on the body of a guitar to save it from one dent, chip or scratch on the back of the neck. I don’t beat my guitars up but also I really don’t stress over cosmetic minutiae, but I do love the feel of a blemish free neck. Fwiw, I almost never hang my thumb over the neck, it rides along the back of the neck 99.9% of the time so maybe that has something to do with my preference.
Old 10-19-2019, 04:00 PM

I have purchased a few used guitars over the years and they were priced quite a bit less than a new equivalent model due to being used and having a few dings. I wouldn't expect a used guitar to be without a few cosmetic flaws. I purchased my then 10 year J-45 off Reverb for what I felt was a very reasonable price. The seller meticulously posted all kind of pics making sure to show the various dings and I just figured that I would have probably accumulated as much if I had owned it for 10 years.

Dings on a nice guitar = nice guitar less $$$.
'18 Martin GP-28E
'65 Epiphone Zenith archtop
Old 10-19-2019, 04:41 PM

I don’t mind dings, just sellers who say they can’t be photographed
Old 10-19-2019, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitizenAudio View Post
I don’t mind dings, just sellers who say they can’t be photographed
There are times when catching a photo of a ding is darned difficult. I had what had been a truly mint 0000-18 sinker Martin for sale. Not really sure when it may have occurred, but as I was packing for shipment to the new owner, noticed a tiny impression-ding in the top.
As much as I tried, could not pick the light up enough to notice on a photo. Finally I mentioned to the owner that there was a reflection, and where the ding could be seen if he looked hard enough.
He was fine with it, and now loves the guitar.

This can definitely happen to a non-professional iPhone photographer.

Martin Custom Authentic 000-28 1937

Martin 1944 00-18
Old 10-22-2019, 02:38 PM

Default Guild F512

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCCougar View Post
Good questions, Delib. Unlike many others, I'm not big into vintage, and I don't buy into the idea that excessive scratches and dents, etc. are good things as signs of some secret club "mojo."

Yes, I much prefer my guitars to be in excellent or mint condition (and I've been acquiring used instruments for the most part). My 17-year-old JF30-12 is in excellent condition. But as you say, if the price is right.... My most recent acquisition (and likely last for quite a while) was made in 2018 but had a couple very nasty gouges on the edge of the top. But it was discounted about $2,000! I do like a good deal! I'll get the gouges fixed, get a K&K installed, and be real happy. It's a spectacular holy grail guitar!

Guild F-512
. 2000.00 off msrp? If you don’t mind me asking.
Old 10-22-2019, 03:53 PM

I see no redeeming qualities for dings, scratches, and other damage on a guitar. I see it as a sign of not caring enough to take care of an expensive instrument. There are plenty of great sounding guitars out there with few of these de-valuing marks. If they didn't care enough to protect it, did they humidify it when needed, perform/pay for maintenance, or avoid having keys/pocket in their pocket when playing, etc.?

I don't believe in "Mojo", so there's that too.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion