The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 07-17-2018, 12:23 PM

Default La Mancha Guitars Confusion

So this is what I figured about the after a wide research I did. If you think I'm wrong and you know otherwise please speak up and share your knowledge.

There are four different companies that were/are using the name La Mancha Guitars.

1. Juan De La Mancha - Signed handmade guitars - Spain

2. La Mancha (Vintage) - Factory made high quality guitars - Spain

3. La Mancha under Kenny Hill supervision - Made in Mexico by a small group of luthiers

4. La Mancha - German company - Modern budget friendly instruments factory made in China.

Any more insight?
Old 10-20-2019, 04:26 PM

Default Vintage La Mancha Made in Spain

I'm glad to see this information on the La Mancha guitars. I recently came across a La Mancha with the name on the head and label inside that reads Model Estudio Folk, No.G3/234 Made in Spain. I've been searching but can't find anything on it. Anyone knows anything about it?
Old 10-20-2019, 07:29 PM

Hi Joe,

This is sounds like the 2nd company listed. Vintage high quality factory made guitars. Would love to see some photos of it if you have any.

Thanks,
Shay
Old 10-20-2019, 10:09 PM

I do not know much about the rest, but I just bought La Mancha Rubi 53Spruce and am very happy with it. Its attention to details exceeded my expectations: more so than much cheaper Yamaha CGS102a but not by much. Smaller, thinner and sounds such in comparison but slightly more comfortable. It is a keeper for me and works well with straps. CGS102a sounds fuller, warmer and other than the usual fret work needs for this price point, both guitars would work great as a travel guitar. I have pictures on CGS thread. Hope this helps.
Old 10-22-2019, 08:52 PM

Sorry, I'm new here and trying to find out how to post pictures.
Old 10-22-2019, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitaman View Post
I do not know much about the rest, but I just bought La Mancha Rubi 53Spruce and am very happy with it. Its attention to details exceeded my expectations: more so than much cheaper Yamaha CGS102a but not by much. Smaller, thinner and sounds such in comparison but slightly more comfortable. It is a keeper for me and works well with straps. CGS102a sounds fuller, warmer and other than the usual fret work needs for this price point, both guitars would work great as a travel guitar. I have pictures on CGS thread. Hope this helps.
Hi Gitaman,

Your La Mancha guitar is the 4th type listed. They are modern guitars that made in China but have good quality control and attention to details as you mentioned. I'm sure they are fantastic. Thank you for sharing.
Old 10-22-2019, 09:40 PM

I uploaded some pictures at photo bucket. http://s379.photobucket.com/user/Jo10Jo1/library/
Old 10-23-2019, 01:16 PM

Looks like a lovely guitar... Thanks for the pictures. It's definitely the 2nd type listed. Really nice find. congrats!!
Old 10-23-2019, 10:55 PM

Thank you for the info. Would you have any ideal when it was made and it's value?
Old 10-24-2019, 01:07 AM

Location: New Zealand, South Island, way down toward the bottom!

I'm not sure if I'm seeing this correctly, but it looks like you have steel strings on that guitar. I'd advise spending the $10 it takes to get some decent nylon strings on it, especially if you want it to live long and get played. Don't expect it to be worth a lot of money, looks more like a player than a flipper to me.

Last edited by dosland; 10-24-2019 at 02:25 AM.
Old 10-24-2019, 05:58 AM

It is very difficult to put a monetary value on it just because there are very few guitars like that. Especially in the US as they were mostly available to the European market. Also, because there are multiple companies that offer guitars under the same name through a wide range of prices it will probably be hard to sell. Plus not many people aware of what they are. Regardless, as mentioned before, if setup correctly it is a great player and a fantastic instrument. If I were you, I would take it to a luthier to set it up but first - replace the strings I personally have the Maestro model which I bought in Hungary a few years back. It is a fantastic instrument in every way. Built very well and sounds like a canon. I remember that when I got it, I also tried to search online for a hint of what the value can be, all I find is an old thread of someone that said he got the same guitar for $600 I think it was.. and one of the people who commented said this is a steal and he think the guitar worth twice than that.. Again, this is the only thing I found and this is only what they are saying, not sure if it is true or not...
Old 10-24-2019, 03:31 PM

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the information. I picked this one up at a yard sale. All the seller could tell me is that it had belonged to his deceased father, and he remember it being around when he was a kid. I left the guitar as found and put it in a case that I already had. While doing a little more searching, I did come across a 1970's La Mancha guitar ad one of the members has listed for sale on Ebay. It features the Festival model on the ad. I see it listed for $110 back then.It also states that the instruments were available in limited edition. It makes me think they are hard to find.
Old 10-24-2019, 04:32 PM

Location: New Zealand, South Island, way down toward the bottom!

Here's something very similar that may not have sold. https://reverb.com/nz/item/3107853-l...-made-in-spain
I note that "the bridge is just beginning to lift" but the guitar is still in "fair working condition." Yours is a great yard sale find, with some new strings on it you might actually be able to get some good play out of it. I still don't think you can hope to sell it for very much, if that's the eventual plan - but I suppose with new strings you can at least get more than you paid for it!
Old 10-27-2019, 02:38 AM

Thanks dosland, I came across that one before in my search. I did notice that one doesn't have the La Mancha name on the head as mine does and one I saw in a 70's ad. Maybe the neck is not original. I have had some nice offers so far on this one as is, but not in a hurry to sell. I'm thinking about running it through an auction and see what happens.
Old 11-07-2019, 12:16 AM

I came across this sell from 2 years, La Mancha Concerito listed for $995. https://reverb.com/item/4894256-la-m...made-in-spain#

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical