The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 05-24-2020, 12:56 PM

Default Gretsch G5422G-12 ?

Does anyone have one of these? I’m looking for a 12-string electric and wondered how this one plays. There are none around me that I can try.

I sold my Martin Performing Artist 12-string because my arthritis wouldn’t let me play it for more than a few minutes.

I’m just not sure about the shape and action.

I had an Epiphone Dot with the same basic body shape, and it was...ok but I never bonded with it, probably because of the neck.

I have other Gretsch guitars (6120 and 5420) and those necks are fine for my hands.

Thanks for any thoughts.

"Always try to be nice, but never fail to be kind." Twelfth Doctor
Old 05-24-2020, 03:04 PM

I've played a couple (BTW I'm a Gretsch guy since 1964 and my present go-to is a 3-PU cats'-eye 5622) so if you like the feel of your 5420 you'll most likely be OK with the 5422-12, allowing of course for the expected wider neck (not by much FWIW - feels like 1-3/4" +/- to me). FYI Musicians' Friend and Guitar Center usually run Holiday/Coupon sales on this one - for some strange reason they've been having a hard time moving them for the last couple years (nothing to do with tone or QC; they look great - a near dead-ringer for Mike Nesmith's "Monkees" 12 - and play better than anything else at anywhere near the price) - so you might want to check things out tomorrow:

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/guit...lectric-guitar
Old 05-24-2020, 05:32 PM
Charter Member

Here's mine. I like it a lot! Just a great 12 string electric guitar. I have no issues with the neck size and the setup was great out of the box.20200415_105652.jpg

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars