The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 05-11-2020, 04:09 AM

Default NFxD--Ibanez TS808

Just ordered an Ibanez TS808 Tube Screamer. I've got a couple of OD pedals already--Digitech Bad Monkey and an OCD. Both of these are fantastic ODs.

And I love what the Tube Screamer does. I'm not into Stevie Ray Vaughn. Fortunately, the pedal is not a one trick pony.

The TS has a smoother breakup than the Bad Monkey or OCD; it also thickens the tone without smothering it.

Someone told me that the TS is transparent and lets the sound of the guitar and amp do their job.

I had to have this pedal once I got my little tube amp, the Ibanez TS amp with a built in 808. Sounds phenomenal, and I want that sound for my Vox and Deluxe Reverb amps.
Old 05-11-2020, 03:01 PM

Congrats! The TS808 is one of those tube screamers that everyone wants on their pedalboard. Not sure about the TS808 being transparent though as it should add some mids to your tone (which is a tube screamer characteristic).

When are you expecting it?
Old 05-11-2020, 07:34 PM

Sweetwater is out of them at the moment, but they're good about restocking and getting stuff to me. Could be a week, could be three. I'm in no hurry since I'm not playing live or even with other folks at the moment.

Since the virus hit, I've made a few major purchases and am looking forward to trying them out with a band. Ric 330, Vox AC30CX2, and a Hofner Bass, gear I've wanted my whole life in some configuration or another. I'm looking foward to giving the TS a go solo or with a band.

You are right about the mids. I'm more interested in the smooth part of the sound. A buddy of mine used one to go through my Fender Deluxe. It was one of the best Strat sounds I've ever heard.
Old 05-12-2020, 07:49 AM

I like the TS808 type of overdrive push on the front end of a tube amp. It’s not overpowering or grating. It’s not an in your face roar even at full tilt. I wouldn’t go so far as to say transparent, but smooth and controllable for sure.

The funny thing is the full sized edition is much smoother sounding than the mini. I can’t figure why, being the controls are the same.
Attachment 37583

Attachment 37584

Last edited by Chickee; 07-08-2022 at 06:18 PM.
Old 05-12-2020, 09:57 AM

Just talked to my rep at Sweetwater. He was so apologetic and said they'd only have them again in late June. I told him to let the order stand. I can wait until then. It's almost more fun to have it to look forward to than getting the instant gratification. It'll be a nice treat in the heat of summer.
Old 05-12-2020, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
Just talked to my rep at Sweetwater. He was so apologetic and said they'd only have them again in late June. I told him to let the order stand. I can wait until then. It's almost more fun to have it to look forward to than getting the instant gratification. It'll be a nice treat in the heat of summer.
You can always look used locally (if things are open) and then cancel your order if you find one. Waiting is hard!
Old 05-13-2020, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
You can always look used locally (if things are open) and then cancel your order if you find one. Waiting is hard!
I live far from shops, and I've been burned on used pedals. I prefer to buy new gear.

And I'm really fine with waiting. I have no reason to rush it.
Old 05-16-2020, 05:53 PM

Sweetwater came through quickly with it. They're great.

Got it. Played the Ric 330 and the Les Paul through it.

It deserves its reputation. I don't know why I didn't get one of these years ago.

I expected the Les Paul to be a good match with it, but the way the Ric sounds with it was a surprise, balls out rock and roll.
Old 05-16-2020, 07:21 PM

That didn’t take long at all! Congratulations, you have the weekend to experiment with your new gear and find that elusive tone! Have fun.
Old 05-16-2020, 10:41 PM

It's smooth, Chickee, but still has grit and body to it. I curse myself for having put off getting one. It would have come in handy over the years. I've got to make some room for it on my pedal board.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars