The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 05-09-2020, 10:09 AM

Default Help choosing my next ukulele

I've tried registering over at the Ukulele Underground forum with no success, even after sending a request for help, so I'm going to throw my question out to you all.

Two years ago I bought an all mahogany Gretsch soprano (G9100). Despite being an entry level instrument it’s held up well and I’ve enjoyed playing it. Now I’m ready to step up both in size and quality.

I definitely lean toward fingerstyle and fingerpicking over strumming. I’d like something in a tenor size to give contrast to the soprano I already have. For the same reason I’d also like different woods than mahogany.

It seems like for fingerpicking cedar is a preferred wood for the top and it gets paired with a variety of woods for the back and sides. What woods should I consider? I definitely want a solid top and would prefer an all-solid instrument, but that’s not a deal-breaker. Where I live, humidity is not a concern.

I do like the look of a slotted headstock, but other than that I prefer more plain looking instruments. A cutaway would be nice but is not essential. Electronics are not needed (and I hate the look of “barn doors”).

My budget is up to $500 including a set-up. I’ve played guitar for about 3 years and know the importance of a good set-up. I also know from my guitar experience that I’ll be happier spending a little more to get a high-quality ukulele than settling and then shopping for another one in a few months.

I appreciate your suggestions in advance! And, please let me know if there is something I forgot to include or consider.
Old 05-09-2020, 01:55 PM
Charter Member

I highly recommend Pono. They are very well made, and although mine is mahogany, they make the same model in Acacia and mango. Mine was around $400 with pickups. I also recommend Hawaii Music supply. They will steer you in the right direction, setup your yuke, and make for a great buying experience. Many fine video clips too.

I played some lovely Koa ukes in the $1200 range that weren't much better, if at all, to my plain basic Pono.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 05-10-2020, 09:16 AM

Thank you for the suggestion of Pono. It seems like those have a radiused fretboard that people like and they are fine-looking instruments.

I had already watched a ton of videos on the Ukulele Site but hadn't made the connection to Hawaii Music Supply. Thanks!
Old 05-10-2020, 09:31 AM

Default Kelali

You might want to look at kelali ukuleles. I bought a baritone for a friend to help him through lockdown and had a really good experience. Kevin is based in California wine country and is former engineer who makes ukuleles now. The brand stands for Kevin’s late life ukes. You can check out his website, and He sells his stuff on EBay. He has a concert and a tenor for sale, and the Tenor has a cedar top and walnut back and sides, all solid wood. $450 price for each, which is a pretty decent price for a hand built ukulele. My friend likes his a lot.
Old 05-11-2020, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norsepicker View Post
You might want to look at kelali ukuleles.
Thanks for the recommendation. Those are nice looking! I found one sound clip and will look for others.
Old 05-11-2020, 09:07 AM

I just got one of these and REALLY like it.
https://kalabrand.com/products/ka-aszct-st

It is a "Super" Tenor meaning a longer scale (18.8") verses the normal 17" Tenor scale. I play in "linear" or Low G tuning (so rather than "My dog has fleas", the "My" is one octave lower), the uke now sounds like the top 4 strings of a guitar, capo'd at the 5th fret. The advantage to the longer scale is that you can use an unwound G without it sounding "tubby".

Another nice thing about this Kala is that it is all solid woods (Spruce/Ziricote), but it is satin finished (if that matters). I have 2 very nice Kanileas and the Kala holds it's own against them, especially impressive since the Kala is new and the Kanileas are 16 and 11 years old respectively. And the Kanileas were 5 and 4 times the price! Don't hear me wrong...the Kala is never going to match the Kanileas in tone, but it also doesn't cost $2K+

Sizes for comparison: Left to right
Kanilea K3 Super Concert (Concert body with Tenor scale length)
Kanilea K1 Tenor
Kala Super Tenor

PS. The Kala does NOT come with gold tuners. I replaced the standard Kala tuners (which are OK, but very stiff) with Grover Sta-Tites I had sitting around the house. I also installed a K&K Big Island Spot pickup which is what I have in all my ukuleles. Also note, the Kala does NOT come with a case and a regular Tenor case or bag won't work (the uke is too long). I bought a Kala Baritone ukulele case for it direct from Kala for $49.99

Kremona Kiano
Ramsay Hauser
Cordoba C10
Chris Walsh Archtop
Gardiner Concert
Taylor Leo Kottke
Gretsch 6120
Pavan TP30
Aria A19c
Hsienmo MJ

Ukuleles:
Cocobolo 5 string Tenor
Kanilea K3 Koa
Kanilea K1 Walnut Tenor
Kala Super Tenor
Rebel Super Concert
Nehemiah Covey Tenor
Mainland Mahogany Tenor
Mainland Cedar/Rosewood Tenor

Last edited by jimmy bookout; 05-11-2020 at 09:24 AM.
Old 05-11-2020, 09:54 AM

Ponos have a thicker neck than I like. I lead a couple senior groups and always on the look out for good used ukes for the newbies. Mainland, Islander, Ohana and Kamoa, in that price range, are ones I like to recommend. Kalas are good if setup right.

Main thing is where to buy from. MIM'S, Uke Republic, The ukulele site(HMS) are great places to buy from as they all do in house setups before sending out to the customer. Mim's is a one woman shop and one of the best for quick setups and mailing. Last one a friend received a couple weeks ago was ordered and received within 5 days.

Last edited by Kerbie; 01-25-2021 at 02:50 AM.
Old 05-11-2020, 12:34 PM
Guitar Gourmet

I've can second the suggestion of the Kala solid top series. The spruces are bright and the cedars a more mellow. I got a Kala KA-ACP-CTG. cedar top, acacia sides and back with padauk trim and rosette that is a treat.

There's a tenor 5 string that has my eye, the KA-ATP-CTG, with the same woods. The twin top two strings are both a high and low G so you can carry melody lines down onto the G while also having the benefit of the re-entrant high G. It's $290.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 05-11-2020, 12:45 PM

I had the Kala KA-ATP-CTG like the above but as a four string tenor. Highly recommended! But it looks like Kala has discontinued them?
Old 05-11-2020, 12:48 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just a Fan View Post
I had the Kala KA-ATP-CTG like the above but as a four string tenor. Highly recommended! But it looks like Kala has discontinued them?
They are still making the cutaway with the pickup.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 05-11-2020, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy bookout View Post

Sizes for comparison: Left to right
Kanilea K3 Super Concert (Concert body with Tenor scale length)
Kanilea K1 Tenor
Kala Super Tenor

That is a sweet little herd of ukuleles! It's helpful to see the sizes next to each other, especially with the differences in scale length. As tempting as it is to go for something with a low G tuning, I'm leaning toward sticking with the high G . . . for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickMadsen View Post

Main thing is where to buy from. MIM'S, Uke Republic, The ukulele site(HMS) are great places to buy from as they all do in house setups before sending out to the customer. Mim's is a one woman shop and one of the best for quick setups and mailing. Last one a friend received a couple weeks ago was ordered and received within 5 days.
I definitely have been looking at what Mim has available. Right now she is hitting her weekly cap the same day she reopens her online shop for orders so I'll need to wait until next week to see what's on offer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
I've can second the suggestion of the Kala solid top series. The spruces are bright and the cedars a more mellow. I got a Kala KA-ACP-CTG. cedar top, acacia sides and back with padauk trim and rosette that is a treat.

Bob
Those are really lovely! I am definitely going to take a look at that series. Thanks all!

Last edited by Kerbie; 01-25-2021 at 02:51 AM.
Old 05-11-2020, 01:47 PM

Ohana is a mainstream brand similar to Kala but with a wider variety of uke types and designs. On their website front they feature a new model TK 50ME with solid cedar top and slotted headstock that should be considerably below your budget limit. On the higher side of the budget would be an Opio with spruce top. They are all solid and sound very good. Whatever you get, for fingerstyle you probably want one strung with a low G string. Some come like this from the factory, and some specialized uke dealers can set it up like this without additional cost. So definitely ask before you make the purchase. Though it's not difficult to just buy a single string to match the existing set and installing yourself.
Old 05-11-2020, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acoustigoat View Post
That is a sweet little herd of ukuleles! It's helpful to see the sizes next to each other, especially with the differences in scale length. As tempting as it is to go for something with a low G tuning, I'm leaning toward sticking with the high G . . . for now.

I definitely have been looking at what Mim has available. Right now she is hitting her weekly cap the same day she reopens her online shop for orders so I'll need to wait until next week to see what's on offer.

Those are really lovely! I am definitely going to take a look at that series. Thanks all!
I play mostly in Low G tuning as I play with a guitarist where I take melody and need the Low G. I keep the Kanilea K3 Super Concert in re-entrant tuning and use that on gigs also, when the tune we're playing involves me playing rhythm. I am with you that re-entrant just sounds more like an ukulele!!!

All the above said, I am a guitar player first (and second!), the ukulele is fun to play, folks seem to like it, and it gives a tune a different feel.
Kremona Kiano
Ramsay Hauser
Cordoba C10
Chris Walsh Archtop
Gardiner Concert
Taylor Leo Kottke
Gretsch 6120
Pavan TP30
Aria A19c
Hsienmo MJ

Ukuleles:
Cocobolo 5 string Tenor
Kanilea K3 Koa
Kanilea K1 Walnut Tenor
Kala Super Tenor
Rebel Super Concert
Nehemiah Covey Tenor
Mainland Mahogany Tenor
Mainland Cedar/Rosewood Tenor

Last edited by Kerbie; 01-25-2021 at 02:51 AM.
Old 05-11-2020, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acoustigoat View Post
I definitely lean toward fingerstyle and fingerpicking over strumming. I’d like something in a tenor size to give contrast to the soprano I already have. For the same reason I’d also like different woods than mahogany.

I do like the look of a slotted headstock, but other than that I prefer more plain looking instruments. A cutaway would be nice but is not essential. Electronics are not needed (and I hate the look of “barn doors”).

My budget is up to $500 including a set-up. I’ve played guitar for about 3 years and know the importance of a good set-up. I also know from my guitar experience that I’ll be happier spending a little more to get a high-quality ukulele than settling and then shopping for another one in a few months.

I appreciate your suggestions in advance! And, please let me know if there is something I forgot to include or consider.
Have you considered a guitalele? The Kala KA-GL-KOA (17" tenor scale) fits most of your requirements well:

Old 05-12-2020, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin666 View Post
Ohana is a mainstream brand similar to Kala but with a wider variety of uke types and designs. On their website front they feature a new model TK 50ME with solid cedar top and slotted headstock that should be considerably below your budget limit.
I've been looking quite a bit at the Ohanas and have a few saved in my Reverb watchlist. The Opios seem just a little above my budget, but everyone raves about them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy bookout View Post
I am with you that re-entrant just sounds more like an ukulele!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonJim View Post
Have you considered a guitalele? The Kala KA-GL-KOA (17" tenor scale) fits most of your requirements well:
I definitely want a ukulele sound and scale. At a later point I may explore the low G tuning, but for now I'm going to stick with the present search. Thanks for the suggestions!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments