The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 06-01-2020, 05:39 PM

Square tube reinforcement:

https://www.stewmac.com/articles-and...truss-rod.html
Old 06-01-2020, 07:34 PM

thanks again for the help Jon
Old 06-05-2020, 09:04 AM

I found the original top to this guitar along with the X-Bracing and transverse brace. The other bracing was not present but it may be hiding somewhere in the stuff I have yet to search through. Once I realized that I was indeed in possession of the original top I started to try and figure out what information I could extract from it that may apply to things I am trying to figure out about the current state of this guitar. First off the original top that I found among some of the wood that I purchased in this lot of equipment was in two separate pieces and in two different locations so it was never obvious that either piece was part of the top from this guitar as they were both beat up very badly. Once I put the two tops together and found that they made a whole top that looked just like a D-28 it dawned on me what I had there. Well I did some comparisons of the two tops(the one that was on the guitar and this one I found that the one installed on the guitar was larger than the original top I found and by what I thought was a significant amount. A full 1/2 inch to 5/8 inch in front to back length and width was distorted at the waste being wider at 1/2 inch and somewhat larger( not determined exactly by how much due to missing parts) at the upper bout. I was somewhat surprised at how thin the bridge backer plate was though. I am somewhat unsure just what this distortion would cause for this body and neck configuration which would tend to push out the waste area as well as the length. I think that this does indicate that the new top as installed on this old body does need to be changed to a properly measured top. If someone would jump in and correct me if I am not thinking correctly about this I would greatly appreciate it. The dimensions of the old top that I found do match those I found on a D-28 plan that I found online. I hope I am getting pointed in the right direction on this project as I have been patient by not jumping to conclusions with it so far and not taking any actions thus far. I hope some of you will voice opinions on what direction they think this project should take from here. I have reached out to Martin and was informed by them that they were closed down and could not even enter their building yet. They also said that it would take six months to turn the job around when they reopened. I thought that was a bit much myself but it is what it is. Thanks for any feedback and advice on this. Jim
Old 06-05-2020, 10:16 AM

Once a top is removed, the sides can spring out a little. This is most likely at the waist, though 1/2" wider seems a little extreme. You may also find that the neck block has rotated outward, which will affect the neck angle. To restore alignment, it is best to place the body in a form like one used to build a new guitar. The amount of work required in doing this is comparable to making a guitar from scratch, and is why commissioning such work is so expensive.
Old 06-05-2020, 03:04 PM

I know that the neck block has moved due to the cracks that I have been speaking about on ether side of the neck block on top and the one crack on the bottom adjacent to the neck block.I do think you have a great idea about placing the body in a form to restore the alignment properly. Should I be concerned with the condition of the bottom attachment to the sides since they were stressed to the point of actually cracking the back on one side of the neck block. One of the sides is detached completely it appears from the neck block but has not pulled away from it at all. The other side seems detached but it is not as obvious just how much it is detached. The top crack (or distortion may be a better description) on the side of the neck block that seems less obviously detached is not showing any cracking on the bottom on that side. This makes me think that the glue joint may have partially released from the bottom to the neck block on that side but I can not see any evidence of that on the outside of the body. I have scratched my head about the binding on the bottom under the neck joint at the bottom joint which does seem to be slightly misaligned but the bottom joint looks fine. I had previously attributed that to sloppy work though. I am now inspired to inspect that area a bit more closely. Thanks for the suggestions and insights. They are always very informative and I really appreciate the help. Lord knows I need it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair