The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 03-11-2020, 08:17 AM

There's a video of Dave Harvey, the guy who runs the Gibson Bluegrass division or whatever it's called. In it he says Gibson is going to start making banjos again. Woohoo! (Not sure when the video was made, so maybe that's old news. Haha)
Old 03-21-2020, 07:52 AM

Anybody interested in tenor banjos should check out Eddie Peabody. He was not only a fantastic banjo player, he was a prominent musician. Check him out on wikipedia. He was given the title "King of the Banjo".
Old 04-03-2020, 05:16 PM

But Peabody was primarily a plectrum player, not tenor. The plectrum has the same scale length as a five string, but four strings on a narrower neck. If I remember correctly, the tuning is CGBD. The tenor is the short necked version, and it's tuned identically to a viola, CGDA (fifths). Irish music typically has a tenor tuned an octave below the mandolin, GDAE.

Harry Reser is often thought of as tenor player, but there's been a great deal of discussion about what he played on many of his sessions. Recent scholarship suggests that he played plectrum more than originally thought.

About four years ago, I went over to The Dark Side and took up banjo. I have a pair of Deering's, a tenor and a five string. The banjo is a wonderful instrument, with more possibilities than the stereotypes make out.
Old 04-05-2020, 02:19 AM

I’ll put Cynthia up here again.

https://youtu.be/eeNV9xn_aB0
Old 04-07-2020, 01:16 PM

Ryan Cavanaugh plays Charlie Parker:

Old 05-22-2020, 08:16 AM

Titanic String Band playing Classical Banjo

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments