The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-13-2020, 01:31 AM

Default Martin pricing?

Greetings, do the online dealers typically offer the standard approx. 40% off msrp on the lower end Martin models such as the 15 series?

Thanks

Chris
Old 01-13-2020, 05:10 AM

I’ve never experienced, seeing, 40% off new guitars.
Only way to know is to call and speak with sales to see what you could get
Old 01-13-2020, 05:12 AM
Charter Member

Yes, I can't speak for the dealers but you will most likely get the 40% discount on the 15 series.

Maury's will and they discount the Road series about 35%, but they don't discount the X or Junior guitars.
Old 01-13-2020, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaBearJr View Post
Greetings, do the online dealers typically offer the standard approx. 40% off msrp on the lower end Martin models such as the 15 series?
With large volume dealers like Elderly Instruments 40% off the manufacturer's recommended list price seems to be pretty standard for Martin guitars. You might be better off spending just a bit more and getting the guitar locally, though, because it's much simpler getting them worked on at a dealership within easy driving distance if any problems or warranty issues come up.

Just a thought.......

whm
Old 01-13-2020, 06:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
With large volume dealers like Elderly Instruments 40% off the manufacturer's recommended list price seems to be pretty standard for Martin guitars. You might be better off spending just a bit more and getting the guitar locally, though, because it's much simpler getting them worked on at a dealership within easy driving distance if any problems or warranty issues come up.

Just a thought.......

whm
In my experience, the lower end Martins don’t always come at the full 40% discount. 15s might be somewhere around 35%. Also, in my experience, Elderly isn’t keen to give 40% because they have enough walk-in customers who still don’t know any better and they’re running a full brick and mortar (re, expensive) shop. Maury, MFG, VINTAGE INSTRUMENTS PHILLY are your better bets.
Old 01-13-2020, 06:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracerbullet View Post
I’ve never experienced, seeing, 40% off new guitars.
I’ve bought three new Martins - an OM-28 Marquis, an HD-28V, and a D-18 - from an online dealer in the US (and a forum sponsor), and I got 40% off the list price.

You won’t ‘see’ that level of discount in dealers’ advertising because CFM’s rules limit dealers to the discount levels they can advertise (around 23%, I think), but some will offer more than that if you contact them. Buyers can benefit greatly if they do their homework.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 01-13-2020, 06:27 AM
Charter Member

And, you don't have to negotiate. Just ask for their online price.
Old 01-13-2020, 06:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
And, you don't have to negotiate. Just ask for their online price.
Yep, forgot to mention that!

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 01-13-2020, 06:47 AM
Charter Member

Try our forum sponsors who are Martin AD's.

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 01-13-2020, 07:17 AM
Charter Member

I find Martin’s pricing culture to be unduly complicated and undesirable. Most consumers are not interested in becoming skilled purchasing agents. They just want to know what the price of a guitar is. But, like buying cars, it’s survival of the fittest when it comes to buying a new Martin. The very slim minority of players who know there is room to negotiate and also have the will to negotiate on a new guitar have an opportunity to land a better deal than most people looking for a Martin guitar. Nothing wrong with that, just not what I like. Tell someone who received 25% off a new D28 that you bought one the same day for 40% off and see how they feel.
Old 01-13-2020, 08:33 AM
Charter Member

You don't have to negotiate with any of our forum sponsors. You just call and ask for a price. The guys at Music Zoo have told me that they will match online prices. So have the guys at GC near me. Again there's no negotiating. Just say; I can get this guitar from (sponsor's name) for this price, will you match it?

If they say no, I could pull out my phone in their store, call Maury and have my guitar the next day. It's that easy!

One thing to think about with buying online is geography. I deal with Maury. He's less than an hour from the Martin factory and about 2.5 hours from me. My new guitar spends a lot less time in transit than it would if I ordered it from someone in L.A.
Old 01-13-2020, 08:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasome View Post
I find Martin’s pricing culture to be unduly complicated and undesirable. Most consumers are not interested in becoming skilled purchasing agents. They just want to know what the price of a guitar is. But, like buying cars, it’s survival of the fittest when it comes to buying a new Martin. The very slim minority of players who know there is room to negotiate and also have the will to negotiate on a new guitar have an opportunity to land a better deal than most people looking for a Martin guitar. Nothing wrong with that, just not what I like. Tell someone who received 25% off a new D28 that you bought one the same day for 40% off and see how they feel.
Well, I agree it's unusual that Martin continues to stick with the MSRP/MAP dichotomy that confuses folks, but if you ignore their MSRP, the difference between the online "list" price of practically any guitar is negotiable. I've called up and asked about a Taylor and got the same 15% that you'll get on a Martin. It's not any different.

That extra bit of margin helps them cover a lot of other expenses, and in the case of many of the online shops that have financing, their no-interest deals at longer terms go out the window the minute they start shaving that advertised price. And, for places that do have large staffs and maybe a debt load, they might have varying flexibility, but they often have more liberal exchange policies (and the mentioned financing). So, whether someone overpaid or simply bought what they wanted at a price they thought was fair, I'm not going to judge. (Or rub their noses in what I might have paid.) Nice to have options .
Old 01-13-2020, 08:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I tend to agree. It makes the used market messy because Joe Blow bought his martin at MAP and when he goes to sell it for more than you can get one new at the 40% discount he gets insulted when you offer him fair market value (50%) of retail. If you mention that 40% discount they think you're lying or lash out.
Old 01-13-2020, 09:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJesse View Post
I tend to agree. It makes the used market messy because Joe Blow bought his martin at MAP and when he goes to sell it for more than you can get one new at the 40% discount he gets insulted when you offer him fair market value (50%) of retail. If you mention that 40% discount they think you're lying or lash out.
I think you’re right. It impacts the value of the brand. For example: look at the big boxes that move many guitars. Martin has an MSRP of $3399 for an OM 21. Sweetwater and Guitar Center list the OM 21 on line at 20% off at $2699 (https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...-om-21-natural) and (https://www.guitarcenter.com/Martin/...stic-Guitar.gc). However, since I’m a geek that visits AGF I know a new OM 21 is only worth $2039 if I get a 40% discount with the secret handshake. There are people trying to sell like-new used OM 21 guitars for more than that, probably because they bought a new OM 21 at GC at 20% off and thought they got a great deal. I’m not a marketing expert, but it just seems crazy to me.
Old 01-13-2020, 09:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I think you’re right. It impacts the value of the brand. For example: look at the big boxes that move many guitars. Martin has an MSRP of $3399 for an OM 21. Sweetwater and Guitar Center list the OM 21 on line at 20% off at $2699 (https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...-om-21-natural) and (https://www.guitarcenter.com/Martin/...stic-Guitar.gc). However, since I’m a geek that visits AGF I know a new OM 21 is only worth $2039 if I get a 40% discount with the secret handshake. There are people trying to sell like-new used OM 21 guitars for more than that, probably because they bought a new OM 21 at GC at 20% off and thought they got a great deal. I’m not a marketing expert, but it just seems crazy to me.
If it's a common model, and you're looking for one, my first thought is simply ignore folks listing them for what you consider a price that is unrealistic. They'll figure it out. If you really want to have a discussion, e.g., it's a local guitar and you're really in a buying mood, then it's easy to refer them to a price history on eBay or Reverb to start the discussion. It probably won't go where you want, but then, if it's a common model, something will show up. (If it's uncommon, that's an entirely different matter.)

If you're not buying, just move along. Anything you do falls into the "unasked for advice" category, IMO. Or, you could write a letter to C.F. Martin, I suppose, since that's where the problem starts .

Edit/P.S. I looked at the price history, and *some* sell for near $2k. I'd have to guess not a lot are being bought new for $2039! (Average does seem nearer $1600, but not "mint" versions. Well, I'm not shopping now, anyway...)

https://reverb.com/p/martin-standard...17#price-guide

Last edited by keith.rogers; 01-13-2020 at 09:32 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion