The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 02-17-2020, 07:42 PM

Default Unicorn Telecaster

A sidebar conversation came up in a different thread about this Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Special from 2012, and I can’t stop thinking about it!

The research I’ve done leads me to believe this was a European market only Squier. Possibly a one year only model, too. The one I found on reverb.com is a 2012 model purchased in London, and at some point was brought to NYC.

The fact that it has a Jazzmaster neck/headstock with the ubiquitous scrolls preceding and ending the callsign is just magic. The headstock size fitting right between the 60’s size and 70’s size Stratocaster’s headstocks of those eras.

Telecasters with Stratocaster necks have come and gone(especially on 70’s Deluxe Telecasters) and are somewhat common. But a Telecaster/Jazzmaster neck guitar is truly special(very possibly only to me)

Have you ever lusted after a unicorn guitar?

[ATTACH]Attachment 33374[/ATTACH]

Last edited by Chickee; 07-08-2022 at 06:18 PM.
Old 02-17-2020, 10:45 PM

Silly question, but what is the difference between a Jazzmaster and Stratocaster headstock?

Ok - got it! Not reading your op carefully enough.

It seems the telecaster headstock will forever remain established in tradition, but I’ve always thought it needs more beef to balance with the overall design and body.

Last edited by Jaden; 02-18-2020 at 01:01 AM.
Old 02-18-2020, 11:14 AM

Yes I was the one who posted some info about this guitar I own in another thread. Mine is a white one.

I mentioned quite a few mods but most significantly I got a new pickguard and fitted a stratocaster neck pickup and a Tonerider Hot Classic tele bridge pickup.

It sounds very good to my ears but different not better than my CV 50s tele.
The problem that stops me loving this guitar is the neck. I have to play with quite a lot of relief to stop it buzzing and it puts me off the guitar a bit.
It's had quite a few setups since I bought the guitar but the last major one was a fret level. The guitar was hardly any better after the fret level and it cost me £100.

Something I have learned: When a guitar has a fret level done it's usually with no strings on using instead the truss trod to get the neck flat. For most necks this works quite well but I think I've got a neck that takes a different shape when comparing string tension and using the truss rod to make the neck flat.

I may just refit the original pickguard and pickups and put it on Ebay.
They are rare and seem to go for around £200 which isn't bad for a Squier.
Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Special
Yamaha BB414 Bass
Old 02-18-2020, 01:39 PM

My Tele lust is for a Snakehead Esquire. A ratty looking one preferably.
Old 02-18-2020, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulp1960 View Post
Yes I was the one who posted some info about this guitar I own in another thread. Mine is a white one.

I mentioned quite a few mods but most significantly I got a new pickguard and fitted a stratocaster neck pickup and a Tonerider Hot Classic tele bridge pickup.

It sounds very good to my ears but different not better than my CV 50s tele.
The problem that stops me loving this guitar is the neck. I have to play with quite a lot of relief to stop it buzzing and it puts me off the guitar a bit.
It's had quite a few setups since I bought the guitar but the last major one was a fret level. The guitar was hardly any better after the fret level and it cost me £100.

Something I have learned: When a guitar has a fret level done it's usually with no strings on using instead the truss trod to get the neck flat. For most necks this works quite well but I think I've got a neck that takes a different shape when comparing string tension and using the truss rod to make the neck flat.

I may just refit the original pickguard and pickups and put it on Ebay.
They are rare and seem to go for around £200 which isn't bad for a Squier.
Needless to say Paul, you are cutting off my UNICORN’S horn😢

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars