The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-11-2020, 03:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Orion View Post
For me it's all about Julian Lage although, ironically, the acoustic work he's most known for has been recorded with his vintage Martin I think (apart from maybe the latest with Chris Eldridge?)...

And, ahem, here's a chap playing a Collings OM2hT from a show just last night

Well done Jack, or Ben, and great to see someone laying a great guitar with no trailing wires trailing!

Exeter is a pretty good place for Collings guitars - Project Music was where I met Bil Collings and Jim Baggett (Mass St. Music) and Charlie Chandler's brother who is the UK (EU?) distributor for Collings - great bunch of folks ...etc.
Old 02-11-2020, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Well done Jack, or Ben, and great to see someone laying a great guitar with no trailing wires trailing!

Exeter is a pretty good place for Collings guitars - Project Music was where I met Bil Collings and Jim Baggett (Mass St. Music) and Charlie Chandler's brother who is the UK (EU?) distributor for Collings - great bunch of folks ...etc.
Cheers - I bought my Traditional from Project Music - they're good folks there...

another player I forgot to mention is Jefferson Hamer - his D2h sb (I think) has some pretty serious play wear and a lot of staining on the lower bout from his arm - he must have some hours in on that guitar!

Old 03-06-2020, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monts View Post
Nice blog! Interesting to think about if Fahey would own a Collings? Or would he just keep playing the Bacon and Day Senorita?

Thank you! From what I hear, he sold most of the great ones, including the Senorita. Then there’s that instructional video series where he’s playing a borrowed Blueridge? I like to think that his posthumous veneration would put him in the Collings camp were he still with us today
Old 03-06-2020, 01:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGSRobinson View Post
Thank you! From what I hear, he sold most of the great ones, including the Senorita. Then there’s that instructional video series where he’s playing a borrowed Blueridge? I like to think that his posthumous veneration would put him in the Collings camp were he still with us today
I heard Fahey say he's playing a D-28 in this instructional CD I have... don't think i ever saw the Blueridge video? I think sometimes he just played whatever was available. Of course it still always sounded amazing.

Anyway, I heard a luthier has made some recreations of several of his guitars including the Bacon and Day and is going to produce them for sale. It was on the last Acoustic Tuesday with Tony P: https://acousticlife.tv/
Old 03-06-2020, 02:01 PM
Charter Member

How about Jim Lauderdale...
Old 03-06-2020, 02:16 PM
Charter Member

That would be Tom Feldmann https://www.thecountryblues.com/arti.../tom-feldmann/
Old 03-06-2020, 03:20 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

And I'll add two of my favorite Collings artists. The late, great Kenny Edwards and Verlon Thompson. They have pulled some mighty fine notes out of their Collings dreads.

Best,
Jayne
Old 03-06-2020, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monts View Post
I heard Fahey say he's playing a D-28 in this instructional CD I have... don't think i ever saw the Blueridge video? I think sometimes he just played whatever was available. Of course it still always sounded amazing.

Anyway, I heard a luthier has made some recreations of several of his guitars including the Bacon and Day and is going to produce them for sale. It was on the last Acoustic Tuesday with Tony P: https://acousticlife.tv/

O, man! That’s awesome. I’ve got to check that out.

This is the video I was thinking https://youtu.be/OWlA8J_JEuY

Yeah, he was definitely known for being indiscriminate towards the end. I love his writing, too: How Bluegrass Music Destroyed My Life and Vampire Vultures. He’s quite the exaggerator/magical realist, however, so the documentary/biography helped me put things in perspective.
Old 03-06-2020, 03:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjathon View Post
Silly Moustache
I was thinking the same, Mr. Moustache Esq.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion