The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-08-2020, 09:59 PM

Default Martin CEO-7 neck

Looking for a new guitar for my 50th bday. 00 size is what I'm after. Unfortunately I can't put my hands on one of these, so I'm looking for opinions. I've played a Waterloo WL-14 with the big V neck and found it terrible for me. I did like the small neck version, but just didn't take to the guitar as hard as I tried. Played a few Gibson L-00's and was just disappointed with the workmanship, and the tone wasn't good enough for me to overlook it.

So now I have my sights set on a Martin CEO-7, if the neck isn't crazy like the Waterloo's. I didn't mind the Gibson neck at all, and I love the neck on my Larrivee.

The other option is the Martin 00-L17. Same body size as the CEO-7, but without the "modified V" neck. Other differences as well, which makes me want to get along with the CEO-7.

Any thoughts out there?
Old 02-08-2020, 10:17 PM

I recently bought a Martin CEO-7 and while the instrument was being delivered I panicked thinking of the Mod-V neck (you can find my thread about it). Before the Martin CEO-7, I had always been playing with thin necks, either on my acoustics or electrics.

I can now tell you I love the Mod-V neck: I adapted almost instantly and is now my favorite profile. BUT I needed to change my posture. I used to keep my thumb at at mid-point (the minimum point between the neck shoulder), which I cannot do now: in fact, that would be right at the cusp of the V profile which would be harsh on my hand and eventually gave me cramps during bar chords. Instead, I now keep the thumb sliding along one of the neck shoulder. This means changing the way I, which is now diagonal instead of parallel to the fret (LJ does the same and has a post where he explains it). The disadvantage of the new posture is that I lose in stretch capacity. The advantage is that I can switch between bar chords and thumb-fretted chord much quicker. The advantage is so substantial that I made this my default style.

Ll.
Old 02-08-2020, 10:31 PM
Charter Member

Very similar to to Martin Clapton neck. Definitely thick at the 7th fret, too much for me
Old 02-09-2020, 02:42 AM

Keith G50,
Last year I was on a mission to find the perfect 00 to fill the gap between my parlor and my OM’s. I spent many hours researching Martin CEO, Gibson 00 and L, and many other guitars from well respected builders. I wound up buying an all solid wood Larrivee 00-40M Spruce over mahogany with which I am very pleased. So much so that just bought a second 00. Again, a Larrivee but this time a custom build order 00-03MT which is solid mahogany top, back, and sides. Both 00’s are long scale 12 fret neck guitars which adds to the clarity definition of sound
I also have a a Larrivee OM-03R spruce over rosewood. The love the Larrivee necks and the construction and cosmetics are flawless. The string balance on the Larrivee 00 guitars is absolutely right on the money.
FWIW, I also own Martins and Gibsons and others but I sure love my Larrivees

Blues

Last edited by BluesBelly; 02-09-2020 at 02:45 AM. Reason: Add content
Old 02-09-2020, 03:19 AM

I have an 00-18 with the standard low profile neck. I owned an CEO-7 for a couple years. I thought the V neck on it was pretty subtle. I had zero problems going back and forth between the 00-18 and the CEO. I liked the CEO-7 a lot, but ended up selling it. I just liked the 00-18 a little more. I found them similar sounding enough that I decided I didn’t need both. The neck was not a factor at all.
Old 02-09-2020, 03:51 AM

Neck profiles are obviously very individual things, going by recent threads the mod v is very much a love or hate thing.

I have the mod v on my 00-28vs and it is by far the most satisfying profile I have ever played. The V is fairly soft in my opinion and bares little resemblence to what I consider to be an actual V profile.

IMO that extra leverage can be a huge benefit.

Again going by historical threads and my own playing style, if you play with your thumb wrapped around the edge of the fretboard the mod v shouldnt be a problem for you at all.

1934 Gibson Kalamazoo KG11

www.reverbnation.com/jamesascott
Old 02-09-2020, 11:04 AM

I owned an early CEO-7 and loved the neck profile, but had several problems with the build and sold it (with full disclosure, of course). I also own a couple of Larrivees and, like you, love the feel of them. Mine are older models so the necks are somewhat different from the newer 00's,though.

I'm not sure what you found so objectionable about the Waterloo's though. My favorite 00 is my WL-12Mh and my WL-14 is not far behind. The standard Martin 00-18 may work for you.
Old 02-09-2020, 01:01 PM

I do like my 2004 Larrivee D-03, but I'm looking for something different in the 00. I want it to sound like a Martin, or Gibson, or whatever it is that I get. The Larrivee's are so "balanced" that they almost lack a distinctive sound. Never had a Martin but always wanted one, so I figure now is the time to scratch that itch.

Also really want a small bodied slope shoulder.

If anyone could take some pics of their CEO-7 neck profile so I could get a good idea of the shape, I'd appreciate it.
Old 02-09-2020, 01:17 PM

Have a CEO-7 and haven't had any difficulty transitioning to my other guitars with slim necks. Prefer the slim necks but, the CEO gets play time too.
Martin CEO-7
Custom Huss and Dalton DS 12 fret
Cole-Clark FL3AC
American standard strat
Old 02-11-2020, 07:52 AM
Charter Member

The Mod V is my favorite Martin neck profile. I've had 3 guitars with the Mod V.

The first two (an EC and a D-18VS) had what I would consider a "chunky" neck, a substantial feel. I loved both of them (but didn't care for the gloss neck on the EC; but that's just me).

I currently have a Custom Shop CEO-7 00-14, a smaller guitar than the first two. Its Mod V feels a little bit smaller to me than what I remember of the first two, not as "chunky," and the V is more subtle. But I like it immensely and it plays perfectly for me.

It's an all-around amazing guitar.
Old 02-11-2020, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llewlyn View Post
I recently bought a Martin CEO-7 and while the instrument was being delivered I panicked thinking of the Mod-V neck (you can find my thread about it). Before the Martin CEO-7, I had always been playing with thin necks, either on my acoustics or electrics.

I can now tell you I love the Mod-V neck: I adapted almost instantly and is now my favorite profile.

Same here. I committed to one, sight unseen. I don't have huge hands, and after reading about all the forum controversy surrounding the neck profile, I was a bit worried it wouldn't suit me well (especially coming from electric guitars, then Taylor acoustics). So, I found a deal I knew I wouldn't lose $ on and took a chance. The CEO-7 is now my favorite guitar I've ever owned, and the neck profile is just amazing to me. FWIW, I believe mine was built in 2015.

That being said, I have a D-18GE I'm selling, and the Mod V on that is a bit bigger. Still playable, but not nearly as comfortable as the CEO-7 for me. I'm guessing this also has something to do with scale length / increased string tension making it harder to press, too. The CEO-7 plays exceptionally easily to me, and it's one of the sweetest sounding guitars I've ever laid hands on.

To the original thread starter, if you post up your location you may find a local forum member who is willing to let you try theirs out.
Old 02-11-2020, 01:50 PM
Charter Member

I love it. Some people hate it. Seems to be the way things are these days. You just have to try it and decide for yourself. To me, the worse thing about the CEO-7 is the burst. But it’s got great tone and feel. Nice little guitar.

As others have said, it’s got the same neck as the 000-28EC. Also, the Marquis series (ie D-18GE and D-28 Marquis) had mod v necks too, just standard scale rather than short scale. If you’re not super picky and don’t need a skinny neck, I’d say go for it. You can always return it, right? And if you don’t go for it, you’ll always wonder if this was the one.
Old 02-11-2020, 01:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvereagle48 View Post
Have a CEO-7 and haven't had any difficulty transitioning to my other guitars with slim necks. Prefer the slim necks but, the CEO gets play time too.
same here. I find that I actually prefer the CEO-7 neck when I'm playing it, but have no trouble transitioning between it and the other Martins, Taylors and the 1 Larrivee-each with differing neck profiles.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion