The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-24-2020, 12:08 PM

Default Cut finger before a gig- I remembered this!

I was installing a new toilet fill valve this morning and inadvertanly cut one of my fingers on a sharp piece of metal. Got some minor bleeding, but the placement of the cut concerned me as it might be sensitive if I had to depress a string or strings on that part of my finger.

I had recently been witness to the circumcision of a new baby. I had seen them done before, but this one was different- almost no bleeding and no bandage. I asked the doctor what she did and she said she used "medical superglue". I inquired what the difference between regular and "medical" superglue was and the basic answer was that doctors can charge more for it .

And so I applied some anti-biotic cream on the cut to prevent infection, put a drop of superglue on a card and used a toothpick to apply it. When it dried it was a little rough feeling. So I took a nail file and filed the glue smooth. Presto-change-o... no more cut. I know some folks have tried super-glue to their fingertips when they hadn't fully develped calouses and thought, what the heck- it was worth a try.

Just thought I'd share for those who might end up in the same situation.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 01-24-2020, 12:29 PM

Over the years I’ve hear similar Super Glue success stories. It’s good stuff!
Back in the day I read an interview in which SRV used SG to reattach his fingernails as they started to pull loose at the fingertips from his incessant string torture.
My use of SG is limited to domestic tasks but I will admit to accidentally gluing two of my fingers together during an ardent repair job. It sticks even better when it gets somewhere it’s not supposed to be!

Blues
Old 01-24-2020, 12:36 PM

I use superglue when my nails break into the quick. I have used it on cuts. Once,I broke the last bone on my middle finger. I had a gig the next day. All I could do was wrap it in cloth tape. It crackled a lot and I did the gig.
Old 01-24-2020, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesBelly View Post
I will admit to accidentally gluing two of my fingers together during an ardent repair job. It sticks even better when it gets somewhere it’s not supposed to be!
How did you separate your fingers?!?!
1984 Rickenbacker 330
1990s Mosrite (Kurokumo) Ventures
2002/2005 Fender Japan '60s Tele [TL-62-66US]
2008 Hallmark 60 Custom
2018 Martin Custom Shop 00-18 slot-head

1963 Fender Bandmaster (blonde blackface)
1965 Ampeg Gemini I
2020 Mojotone tweed Champ kit build
Old 01-24-2020, 12:56 PM

I sliced the pad on my thumb yesterday doing something stupid, as I was saying don’t do it. Will be some serious down time.
Old 01-24-2020, 01:02 PM

I have been using super glue on cuts for years.
Trick is to get it to stop bleeding long enough for glue to take hold.

Do NOT get it into the actual cut. Just smear a dab over the closed wound.
It helps a lot if it's a clean non jagged cut.

Heals quicker also.
Old 01-24-2020, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesBelly View Post
Over the years I’ve hear similar Super Glue success stories. It’s good stuff!
Back in the day I read an interview in which SRV used SG to reattach his fingernails as they started to pull loose at the fingertips from his incessant string torture.
My use of SG is limited to domestic tasks but I will admit to accidentally gluing two of my fingers together during an ardent repair job. It sticks even better when it gets somewhere it’s not supposed to be!

Blues
Yes, SRV used it. I think he learned it from MacGyver...

Super glue was used quite widely during the Vietnam war as a battle dressing. Saved quite a few soldiers lives.
Old 01-24-2020, 01:10 PM

I figured this was gonna be a "superglue" thread, but I still winced a bit at the idea of superglue and circumcision in the same thought.

But yes, it absolutely works.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 01-24-2020, 01:44 PM

I’ve used superglue and NuSkin, which dries a little more flexible, to repair cuts on my fingers so I could play. Working in machine shops, cuts, nicks and scrapes are part of the territory.
Old 01-24-2020, 02:16 PM

Rather than being a hack, this is indeed the original purpose of CA glue. It just happens to be wildly commercially successful as a bonding agent for things other than skin too.
Old 01-24-2020, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatcomber View Post
How did you separate your fingers?!?!
Very carfully!��
It’s been many years and If I remember correctly it was my index and middle finger with only a spot of glue so it was just enough that they were stuck pretty good.
I didn’t want to go through life with the nickname of “Web” or “Froggie” or “Duck” so I took a sharp single edged razor blade and was able to kind of slice them apart without loosing much finger meat.
I’m pleased to report that my recovery was complete and successful with only my wounded pride as my scar.
Since then I wear surgical gloves for Super Glue projects.

Blues
Old 01-25-2020, 08:50 AM
Charter Member

Default Superglue

Acetone or nail polish remover (which is most likely acetone based) or model airplane fuel which has nitro-methane in it will remove the superglue. They also sell debonder for removing superglue, most hobby-shops would have both the glue and debonder.
FJ
Old 01-25-2020, 09:06 AM
Charter Member

Superglue was originally developed as a field stitch during the Vietnam war. So it was (legend has it) specifically designed to bond skin. I use it (too often I confess) and only find an issue where it burns on a deep cut. And do *NOT* use accelerant - let it dry naturally.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion