The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-15-2020, 07:00 AM

Default Just figured out how to properly put on a capo

I really like Kyser capos for their quick trigger convenience
But always found it pulled the low E string sharp
Just figured out that if I hold the strings down with my right hand while putting on the capo, this doesn't happen.
Only took twenty years of guitar playing to figure it out.

Not bragging or anything about this revelation. Just, FYI, I guess, in case anyone else didn't know about this "trick." (aka basic common sense thing that escaped me for some reason)

Isolation is producing evolutionary progress!
Old 04-15-2020, 07:11 AM

Congrats on the new knowledge and thanks for sharing this tip! Who says you can’t teach an old dog new tricks!
Old 04-15-2020, 07:49 AM

My method (I'm sure it is not original to me though) is to put the capo barely behind the fret so that the edge of the capo just almost touches the back edge of the fret. I found that if I put the capo in the middle, between the frets, it pulls the strings all the way down to the fingerboard, stretching the strings and pulling them sharp. I just have to be careful not to have capo over the fret because the stings will be dampened by the capo and not ring clearly.

Last edited by CarlE; 04-15-2020 at 08:30 AM.
Old 04-15-2020, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlE View Post
My method (I'm sure it is not original to me though) is to put the capo barely behind the fret so that the edge of the capo just almost touches the back edge of the fret. I found that if I put the capo in the middle, between the frets, it pulls the strings all the way down to the fingerboard, stretching the sting and pulling them sharp. I just have to be careful not to have capo over the fret because the stings will be dampened by the capo and not ring clearly.
Thalia capos are the opposite in that you can place it in the middle and it does not pull the strings sharp.
Old 04-15-2020, 08:18 AM

huh I guess I must have been absent from school that day they covered capos!!
Old 04-15-2020, 09:30 AM

brianmay 04 06 covered this topic and said something similar. I have followed his and your advice recently with similar good results. Still it must depend on the capo type and of course the guitar neck and a few other things. What I don't quite understand is the many pros on You-tube who have the capo well back, near the middle point; I think generally they are using the screw type pro capos. I have a Shubb standard which is fine for my playing. Whatever works individually is the way to go, apply it and check with a tuner to get the right application and repeat each time.
Old 04-15-2020, 09:48 AM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTR View Post
brianmay 04 06 covered this topic and said something similar. I have followed his and your advice recently with similar good results. Still it must depend on the capo type and of course the guitar neck and a few other things. What I don't quite understand is the many pros on You-tube who have the capo well back, near the middle point; I think generally they are using the screw type pro capos. I have a Shubb standard which is fine for my playing. Whatever works individually is the way to go, apply it and check with a tuner to get the right application and repeat each time.
I think people put the capo back from the fret to give their fretting hand more room. I put mine right on or immediately behind the fret.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 04-15-2020, 09:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulzoom View Post
Thalia capos are the opposite in that you can place it in the middle and it does not pull the strings sharp.
+1 on Thalia. I just got one a month ago. Very happy with it.
Old 04-15-2020, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I think people put the capo back from the fret to give their fretting hand more room. I put mine right on or immediately behind the fret.
I think you are right. also they are sometimes on a slant probably for the same reason.
Old 04-15-2020, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quebec Picker View Post
...Just figured out that if I hold the strings down with my right hand while putting on the capo, this doesn't happen..... Isolation is producing evolutionary progress!
Ha! Thanks for that. I don't really use a capo much, but I recently got a G7th Newport Compensated for 12-string that really works well. I'll be trying your trick!

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 04-15-2020, 01:09 PM
Charter Member

Hmmm...that’s just crazy enough to work!

2004 John Osthoff AS-C
1992 Taylor (DCSM)Dan Crary Signature Model

Old 04-15-2020, 01:36 PM

I tune the guitar up. I squeeze the capo perpendicularly to the fret board with my fretting hand and then adjust the thumb screw with just enough tension to lock the lever over center (Shubb). This avoids pulling the strings sideways. Then I check tuning again. It's usually pretty close. If relieving lever tension brings it back I'll do that first. If needed, I'll remove the capo, tweak the string in question and then reinstall the capo.

Those spring-loaded capos are single-tension types that typically make the strings go sharp.

Tuning while strings are under the capo creates a sawing action across the fret wire and prematurely wears the wire and strings. All capo users should tune, put the capo on, check the tuning, take off the capo to slightly correct the tuning, then reinstall the capo as many times as needed to prevent string/fret wire sawing. A slight tweaking under capo pressure won't put you in the teacher's dunce corner but keeping it to a minimum is the idea.
Old 04-15-2020, 01:44 PM
Charter Member

Is there a preferable place for the hinge: low E or high E side?
Old 04-15-2020, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirosh View Post
According to Shubb there is no difference, although applying their model from the high side frees up the hand a bit more and seems more natural, and easier to apply.
Old 04-15-2020, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirosh View Post
A practical tip, from experience - with a Shubb (and others), if you have the hinge on the high side and your hand slips while you're moving it, the capo will catch on the fingerboard and you won't lose it; if you have the hinge on the down side and your hand slips, the capo will drop to the stage and bounce into the audience, and good luck trying to find it. Just saying.

Bourgeois OM CB/HS
Collings OM1T, OM1MhVN, OM3MhVN
RainSong CH-OM-N2
Santa Cruz OM, H13

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion