The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-15-2020, 04:59 PM

Default Old hands--Neck shape

Old guy post. I just turned 68. Been playing since '60's garage bands. Over the last couple of years, certain chord fingerings have become harder to play. On a recent doctor visit, he said "Let me see your hands". "Looks like ulnar drift" It seems to be an arthritis related issue where the fingers bend towards the pinky finger. Big index finger knuckle.I'm not in any pain but it seems my playing geometry isn't the same.

That said, I'm experimenting. I have a variety of guitars with different scale lengths, nut widths, neck profiles and lengths (ie. 12 fret).

I know this is a multi generational forum and I'm wondering if others in my age bracket have had to make adjustments. I've seen posts regarding shoulder pain. I'm not in pain, things just don't always bend in the same direction. I've friends that have given up on their musical instruments. Not me--Cold dead hands and all that.
Cheap Squier Electrics
Quit counting the ones that have come and gone.

I am not afraid to work on my own guitars
Old 01-15-2020, 05:09 PM
Charter Member

I find that C-profile necks work better for me now that I'm starting to age. I used to be able to play any profile and actually liked/preferred V-profile necks but I can't play the deep ones any more because my left hand starts to hurt. What is really strange to me is that I ought to like the Taylor neck shape but my left hand starts to hurt after about 10 minutes. I guess I need a little more neck than that now. I haven't progressed to baseball bat necks yet, though. I also like something on the big side of 1-3/4" at the nut. I need more room to play clean, I guess.
Old 01-15-2020, 05:10 PM

Cody I'm the same age as you.
I'm starting to have a bit of arthritis myself. So far it's not that much of a problem for me as I don't play that long. Maybe a couple hours a day spaced out over about 8 hours.

I don't really have any advice for you other than hang in there.

I like the cold dead hands comment.

Good luck sir.
Old 01-15-2020, 05:15 PM
Charter Member

I've have arthritis developing in my basal joint (base of the thumb). I find that a big thick chunky C shaped neck gives my thumb added support.

There are still certain shapes that can cause discomfort. So, on those occasions, I try to find a different position to minimize the pain.

D
Old 01-15-2020, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soma5 View Post
I find that C-profile necks work better for me now that I'm starting to age. I used to be able to play any profile and actually liked/preferred V-profile necks but I can't play the deep ones any more because my left hand starts to hurt. What is really strange to me is that I ought to like the Taylor neck shape but my left hand starts to hurt after about 10 minutes. I guess I need a little more neck than that now. I haven't progressed to baseball bat necks yet, though. I also like something on the big side of 1-3/4" at the nut. I need more room to play clean, I guess.
My situation is similar. I will often enough start to get fretting hand wrist pain after playing my Taylors for a lengthy period. Tendonitis gets aggravated. But I can switch to a guitar with a very full neck profile (Recording King RP-06 or Guild 12 string) and play comfortably.

I used to think I wanted slim profile necks on all my guitars. Not any more.

Taylor 856, Taylor GC7, Martin 00-28, Breedlove Oregon Concertina, Breedlove Jeff Bridges Signature, Guild JF55-12, Guild D212, Larrivee OM3, Eastman E20 OM, Farida OT22w, Cordoba Fusion 12 Orchestra, Blueridge BR-361, Pono 0-15 mango, Journey OF-660, Tanglewood TWJP parlor (Nashville tuned), Paul Reed Smith SE Custom.
Old 01-15-2020, 05:31 PM

Thumbs up yup

Been going thru issues with my fret hand for many a moon,,,,like you, NEVER giving up!
Old 01-15-2020, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmoretti49 View Post
My situation is similar. I will often enough start to get fretting hand wrist pain after playing my Taylors for a lengthy period. Tendonitis gets aggravated. But I can switch to a guitar with a very full neck profile (Recording King RP-06 or Guild 12 string) and play comfortably.

I used to think I wanted slim profile necks on all my guitars. Not any more.
I am 59 and I am also developing arthritis/tendinitis in my hands. I have found that for me, a big, fat, strong V or strong D shape neck feels the best, as it gives my left "fretting" hand, especially the area between my thumb and first finger...that U shape area of muscle and tissue...lots of "meat" to fill that area of my hand and thus, lots of support. When I try to play a thin, low profile neck, that area of my left hand begins to hurt and cramp up after just 10 or 15 minutes.

But give me a big thick old vintage Gibson baseball bat strong V or super full C to D shape style neck...or old vintage late 60 early 70's Yamaha acoustic neck...also big and thick with a strong D shape...and I can play in very good comfort for an hour or two no problem.

I also find that even though I have smaller hands/fingers, a 1 3/4 or...even better...larger nut helps a lot, as it gives my fingers more room to relax and move in, and not feel cramped up for space. Yes...it does make some chord shapes, especially trying to wrap the thumb over on the low E super hard to do...but I would rather deal with that, than deal with the pain, and cramping, and then the pain and stiffness afterwords.

duff
Be A Player...Not A Polisher
Old 01-15-2020, 05:39 PM

I was getting hand pain for a while, but moving to lighter strings helped a lot. As a pleasant surprise, the guitars didn't lose much, if anything, even in terms of volume.

Better to switch to extra lights than to have to lose that lovely collection of Taylors the OP has put together.
Old 01-15-2020, 06:16 PM

GHS thin core's play like butter and sound very good. Like the "dead hands" thing also, but N. might not. Ha!
Old 01-15-2020, 06:30 PM
Charter Member

Cody,

I discovered the Martin 00-28 not so many months ago and love the smaller body and neck feel (not to mention the great tone & resonance). I'm just a few years younger and wanted something with less strain on my neck and hands. Definitely worth a look IMHO ! Good luck!
Old 01-15-2020, 06:48 PM

Thanks for the replies so far---Good ideas. Its all about the journey. Comparing guitars. As I said, its a bit of a geometry thing. A 5th fret barred A, no problem. 1st fret F and my index finger wants to go from the 1st fret to the nut at an angle. 4 fret chords are pretty much history. I've also been playing a classical guitar. Wide, chunky neck, 12 fretter, soft strings. I'm beginning to think the distance from the nut to the guitar's waist on my knee is going to be a factor.
Cheap Squier Electrics
Quit counting the ones that have come and gone.

I am not afraid to work on my own guitars
Old 01-15-2020, 06:49 PM

I am 66 and have found that short scale with thin C shape neck profile to afford me the greatest ease of playability. All of my guitars fit this profile now save for a couple of 90's Taylors that are standard scale but have such thin electric guitar like neck profiles that I can handle them as well. My reach, while never extensive, is even less now but the above adaptations have allowed me to continue playing with continued joy, if not expertise.
Old 01-15-2020, 07:09 PM

74 and arthritis in the thumb and 1st fingers of both hands. Flatpicking use hurts so more fingerstyle from now on.
Also, been moving to smaller bodied guitars, short scale, wider fingerboards, thicker necks, lighter gauge strings and also using my nylon stringers more often.
Lastly, all guitars are set up for low action.
On another note, if your right hand's ok for picking, this might be a good time to consider taking up a dobro or other slide guitar.
Old 01-16-2020, 03:33 AM

I turned 70 this year and I have found that as I have aged I can only comfortably and cleanly play guitars with wide nuts and chunky necks. 12 fretters are good too, luckily because they often have wide nuts and chunky necks. Funny enough I don't like short scale guitars, I find the strings too floppy.
Old 01-16-2020, 06:48 AM
Charter Member

The older I get, the more "meat on the bone" I need. I've got a touch of arthritis at the base of my thumbs, the spot where osteoarthritis frequently first appears.

No Taylors for me, or the Martin MLO neck. My hands ache after just a short while.

However, give me a Martin with a Mod V neck, or the nice chunkiness of my Goodall, and any pain/stiffness actually goes away after playing a bit.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion