The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 01-26-2020, 04:37 PM
Charter Member

Default How short did you trim your Alaska Piks?

I'm thinking just a bit longer than my natural nail.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 01-27-2020, 07:44 PM

TB, by coincidence I was just looking into this yesterday.

The AlaskaPik website has a few photos.

There is also a Youtube video by the manufacturer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFXOaXsXAvU

And indeed he says that he likes them just a little longer than his natural nail (but that depends on how long your natural nail is).

I was just going to see if Eric Skye had any suggestions/comments on these picks on Youtube, but I haven't got a chance to look yet.

Please let me know how it works - I'm thinking of experimenting w/them also. Is this your first foray into fingerpicks?
Old 01-27-2020, 07:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lar View Post
TB, by coincidence I was just looking into this yesterday.

The AlaskaPik website has a few photos.

There is also a Youtube video by the manufacturer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFXOaXsXAvU

And indeed he says that he likes them just a little longer than his natural nail (but that depends on how long your natural nail is).

I was just going to see if Eric Skye had any suggestions/comments on these picks on Youtube, but I haven't got a chance to look yet.

Please let me know how it works - I'm thinking of experimenting w/them also. Is this your first foray into fingerpicks?
I found the instructional video after I posted and I found my guess was right. I had tried finger picks a while ago, including the Alaska. I ordered the large Alaska's which were too small and I never really go the hang of the other finger picks. So this time around I ordered the extra large and they are fine. I guess over time I will slowly tweak them. I think sometime this week I will order a few more just to have as backups in case I "tweak" them too much. I'm going to sand/file/shape the sides of them so that they don't keep smacking into each other as much also.

So now I have the job of learning to use these picks and at the same time figure out how to have a decent right hand technique. I think I'll get used to the picks first and then go on from there.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical