The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 07-26-2019, 04:05 PM
Charter Member

Default heads up for Touring owners

Lately, I have been using a capo to add another dimension to my arranging efforts. I have some nice capos, the Shubb, the D'Addario Planet Waves NS Pro, and the Elliot Elite. While all will do the job, the Elliot seems particularly well suited to the Touring. With its very small profile on such a short scale, it allows easier fretting hand movement when playing close to the capo, much better than any capo with a larger profile, as most non-Elliot capos have.

The only capos I have never cared for are those that grab the neck like a vice-grip. But among those I like, the Elliot reigns supreme and the Touring is well worth the expense. I purchased the one made to fit a 1 7/8" nut because it can travel the full length f the neck of the Touring, if needed.

Edit: I don't intend to be exclusionary of other fine CF guitars, but the Touring has such a short scale, that the extremely small profile of the Elliot is particularly suited to that particular instrument. Any of the fine CF guitars discussed here is certainly worthy of an Elliot, if so desired.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 07-26-2019, 05:58 PM
Guest 928

I didn't realize that the touring could be had a 1 7/8" nut width. this is a very informative forum. Thank you Tony.
Old 07-26-2019, 06:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
I didn't realize that the touring could be had a 1 7/8" nut width. this is a very informative forum. Thank you Tony.
The Touring has a 1 3/4" nut, but I suggest the 1 7/8" version of the Elliot so that you can use it anywhere on the guitar neck. Since that is what the version of the Elliot I have, I can't be sure that the narrower version would go all the way up the neck. I can say that the wider Elliot works nicely anywhere on the fretboard.

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...
Old 07-26-2019, 11:54 PM

Thanks Tony....will check it out!
Old 07-27-2019, 06:28 AM
Charter Member

The reason for this recommendation is that the Elliot capo is a "stirrup" type (I am not sure what the official name for it is), so it comes up both sides of the neck. This means that if the capo is not wide enough, as the neck gets wider for the upper frets, a narrower capo may not fit around the neck. I purchased the wider capo a few years ago because my Huss & Dalton does have a 1 7/8" nut. However, I found that this same capo works well on my other guitars with a narrower 1 3/4" nut as well and can traverse the entire neck.

I have seen some cases in which an arranger has chosen to utilize a capo up around the 7th and 10th frets with good results for a particular tune, such as a fingerstyle arrangement of "Here Comes The Sun", or David Qualey's arrangement of "Jesu".

So, again, to be clear, the Touring has a 1 3/4" nut and this post gives more detail as to why the recommendation. The capo I am describing costs $160 new, and used seems to sell rather easily for not much less around here. Spending that kind of money, you would want to get it right the first time. You are paying for the guy's time to build the capo. There is typically a month lead time on these. For some folks, this may seem exorbitant, but for others such as myself, the quality of the build and the very small profile is worth it.

Since I am using a capo more often in my own arranging efforts these days, having a very small profile really helps play cleanly around the capo. The Elliot Elite has the smallest profile of any capo I have yet seen, yet is built to last as long as the Touring.

Edit: The Elliot price does not change when ordering the slightly wider capo. The price does increase if you ant it engraved, which I am not interested in, but some may be if it is a gift or for a special occasion.

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...
Old 07-27-2019, 02:48 PM
Guest 928

Tony;

Thanks for making things clear. I had been under the impression that the Touring offered a 1 7/8" nut width. My error, thanks for the correction (and for doing it nicely).
Old 07-27-2019, 04:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Tony;

Thanks for making things clear. I had been under the impression that the Touring offered a 1 7/8" nut width. My error, thanks for the correction (and for doing it nicely).
Evan, I do wish they did make a 1 7/8" model. However, whatever McPherson did in shaping the neck, I have absolutely no trouble with the narrower 1 3/4" nut. It would be interesting to have this guitar and a Rainsong side by side, because I have not liked the neck on any Rainsong I have tried, and I would be curious to find out exactly why, since they are such nice guitars.

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...
Old 07-27-2019, 06:16 PM
Guest 928

tONY;

I have the Rainsong Parlor nylon with the 1 6/8" nut width. I didn't I'd like it, but it made me a bit more precise and I can live with it--though I still prefer the 1 7/8".
Old 07-28-2019, 04:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
tONY;

I have the Rainsong Parlor nylon with the 1 6/8" nut width. I didn't I'd like it, but it made me a bit more precise and I can live with it--though I still prefer the 1 7/8".
1 6/8 is also 1 3/4, which should be the same as the Touring and the Cargo. The Touring has 2 3/16" string spacing at the bridge, while the Cargo has 2 1/4" at the bridge. I don't know the string spacing at the bridge for the Rainsong Parlor. It does seem that both these measurements and the shape of the neck, all contribute to the feel and playability of the guitar.

My Huss & Dalton 12 fret 00 has a 1 7/8" nut with 2 5/16" string spacing at the bridge (which for me is the ideal), though most of these models have the narrower 1 3/4" nut with the same string spacing at the bridge. My classical guitar has a slightly under 2" nut width, and my William Kelday 000 12 fret has 2 13/16" nut with 2 1/4" string spacing at the bridge.

Based on what I have read in this sub-forum, I suppose the only way you will get a 1 7/8" nut and 2 5/16" string spacing at the bridge, is to custom order an Emerald.

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...
Old 07-29-2019, 07:49 PM

I think I almost lernt something here..
Ill check out said Elliot capo...
or my name isn't Marky Maypo...
well it isn't I guess..but does anyone know who that was?
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 07-30-2019, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
1 6/8 is also 1 3/4, which should be the same as the Touring and the Cargo. The Touring has 2 3/16" string spacing at the bridge, while the Cargo has 2 1/4" at the bridge. I don't know the string spacing at the bridge for the Rainsong Parlor. It does seem that both these measurements and the shape of the neck, all contribute to the feel and playability of the guitar.

My Huss & Dalton 12 fret 00 has a 1 7/8" nut with 2 5/16" string spacing at the bridge (which for me is the ideal), though most of these models have the narrower 1 3/4" nut with the same string spacing at the bridge. My classical guitar has a slightly under 2" nut width, and my William Kelday 000 12 fret has 2 13/16" nut with 2 1/4" string spacing at the bridge.

Based on what I have read in this sub-forum, I suppose the only way you will get a 1 7/8" nut and 2 5/16" string spacing at the bridge, is to custom order an Emerald.

Tony
Hi Tony,

I just looked them up and going to order but want to be clear on the sizing for my touring:

* You are suggesting the Elite Guitar Capo not the McKinney-Elliott Guitar capo?
* size: 1 7/8" nut so it works the entire neck...
* does radius matter??? what did you select for this option? Did you go standard 16?

I am going satin.... for finish.. IMHO... looks cool!!!

Thanks again for your help!!!

Last edited by Fixedgear60; 07-30-2019 at 05:42 AM.
Old 07-30-2019, 10:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixedgear60 View Post
Hi Tony,

I just looked them up and going to order but want to be clear on the sizing for my touring:

* You are suggesting the Elite Guitar Capo not the McKinney-Elliott Guitar capo?
* size: 1 7/8" nut so it works the entire neck...
* does radius matter??? what did you select for this option? Did you go standard 16?

I am going satin.... for finish.. IMHO... looks cool!!!

Thanks again for your help!!!
The Elite is what I have, and as I recall, it apparently has the smallest profile. It is also the most expensive model, I think.

I have the version for 1 7/8" nut and it works on all my steel string guitars, since the widest is my Huss & Dalton, at 1 7/8, with my Kelday not far behind at 1 13/16". This capo also works well on my Tourings, so that is why I posted about it. To me, if you like wider necks, it is probably best to go for the wide capo, since it still works just fine on narrower fretboards.

The radius question is a good one, for which I don't yet have an answer. My capo has their standard radius form, which I believe is 16". McPherson says on their site that their WOOD guitars use a radius of 14", but they say nothing about that with their CF guitars. It may possibly be that you could use somewhat less pressure on the strings with the exact radius match for the capo, but I don't know that the difference between 16" and 14" (if their CF guitars are that) is a big deal since I only have the one capo right now.

I do plan to order one for each of my Touring guitars, so I will ask them at that point.

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...
Old 07-30-2019, 10:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
I think I almost lernt something here..
Ill check out said Elliot capo...
or my name isn't Marky Maypo...
well it isn't I guess..but does anyone know who that was?
Here I thought your name WAS Marky Maypo, but then you changed it to something more civilized, such as Kramster. Meanwhile, do check out the Elliot. it is probably the one thing you don't have at this point.

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...
Old 07-30-2019, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
The Elite is what I have, and as I recall, it apparently has the smallest profile. It is also the most expensive model, I think.

I have the version for 1 7/8" nut and it works on all my steel string guitars, since the widest is my Huss & Dalton, at 1 7/8, with my Kelday not far behind at 1 13/16". This capo also works well on my Tourings, so that is why I posted about it. To me, if you like wider necks, it is probably best to go for the wide capo, since it still works just fine on narrower fretboards.

The radius question is a good one, for which I don't yet have an answer. My capo has their standard radius form, which I believe is 16". McPherson says on their site that their WOOD guitars use a radius of 14", but they say nothing about that with their CF guitars. It may possibly be that you could use somewhat less pressure on the strings with the exact radius match for the capo, but I don't know that the difference between 16" and 14" (if their CF guitars are that) is a big deal since I only have the one capo right now.

I do plan to order one for each of my Touring guitars, so I will ask them at that point.

Tony
Thank Tony .... just ordered.. I noticed that if you say you do not know radius and tell them in the comments box of the order your guitar they will figure it out. It also looks like this size will work with my Lowden WL-25 (shush... don't let the other guys know that I still love a wood guitar ;-). It would be nice at these prices to have one that works across both guitars... Thanks again for the recommendation!!!
Old 07-30-2019, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixedgear60 View Post
(shush... don't let the other guys know that I still love a wood guitar ;-).

Wait!! What??!!

...I mean wait, what?... shhhhhh

McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber