The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-14-2019, 04:05 PM
Charter Member

I just got home from watching “Yesterday” at the local theater. Has been over a year since my last trip to any theater but I wanted to watch this at somewhere with a good sound system. Glad I went since the movie and the music were enjoyable.
2018 Guild M-20
2015 Martin CEO-7
2012 Martin OM-21
2011 Voyage-Air VAOM-04
2011 Taylor GA8
1930's Supertone Parlor
Old 07-14-2019, 07:43 PM

I saw the movie this weekend after reading this thread. Made me want a CEO-7 all over again.
2002 Martin HD-28
2000 Larrivee Parlor P-01
1976 Guild D35 SB
Blueridge BR-43

"I just want one more guitar..."
Old 07-14-2019, 08:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatcomber View Post
I'd just like to add that I find it refreshing that an actor of South Asian descent was chosen to be the lead.
There’s another one coming. Another set in England where the kid has a Springsteen obsession and apparently goes on some New Jersey pilgrimage to see where the Boss came from. Not completely sure about the plot, but also looks entertaining.

I saw Yesterday yesterday and thought it was great. Especially loved the tie in with the actual Beatle.

martin D-28A '37 | D-18 | SCGC H13 | gibson SJ-200
taylor 814ce | 855 | GS Mini H.V. | goodall RP14 | Halcyon SJ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Old 07-15-2019, 08:19 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjroberts View Post
There’s another one coming. Another set in England where the kid has a Springsteen obsession and apparently goes on some New Jersey pilgrimage to see where the Boss came from. Not completely sure about the plot, but also looks entertaining.

I saw Yesterday yesterday and thought it was great. Especially loved the tie in with the actual Beatle.
I saw Yesterday yesterday and also really enjoyed it. And I saw the preview to the up and coming movie that you refer to here. It definitely looked like it could be enjoyable also.

Best,
Jayne
Old 02-09-2020, 04:17 AM

Default Martin CEO-7/Yesterday

I saw that movie when it first came out in the theaters with a friend. When I saw the CEO-7 I pretty much yelled out loud, "I have that guitar". I had just purchased it earlier that year. It is an amazing guitar, but I have to correct one thing. It's mahogany, not rosewood. I really did enjoy the movie
Old 02-09-2020, 07:01 AM
Charter Member

Borrowed this one from the library, what a fun movie. Surprised no one has mentioned the fantastic performance by Kate MacKinnon as the manager caricature.

Curious as to who owns the rights to the Beatles catalog these days. I was surprised that "permission" to use these songs was secured, then it occurred to me that since one song showed up in a beer commercial, ownership is probably a corporate entity ... Sony, perhaps?
Old 02-09-2020, 07:30 AM

I paid to watch the movie last night from my Amazon Prime account.
I thought it was a great fun movie to watch.
Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Special
Yamaha BB414 Bass
Old 02-09-2020, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Mikey, as it happens I do have a tenor voice, and when properly warmed up (on a good day) I can hit all the notes that Paul McCartney sang and recorded with the Beatles. But I often take things down a step or two; on Wednesday I sang “Let It Be” at a funeral, by request from the widow. McCartney wrote and recorded it in C, but I put it in A for that occasion.

I sang it solo on the verses but had the music group come in on the choruses, and A was definitely a better key for them.

whm
There are quite a few Beatles tunes that were speeded up or slowed down in the studio for various reasons,so not all McCartney's( or lennon's come to that) were comfortably within their range.
Old 02-09-2020, 08:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Paul View Post
Borrowed this one from the library, what a fun movie. Surprised no one has mentioned the fantastic performance by Kate MacKinnon as the manager caricature.

Curious as to who owns the rights to the Beatles catalog these days. I was surprised that "permission" to use these songs was secured, then it occurred to me that since one song showed up in a beer commercial, ownership is probably a corporate entity ... Sony, perhaps?
I thought Paul McCartney recently purchased the Beatles catalog.
Old 02-09-2020, 08:57 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

It was reported when the film was originally released that they paid $10M for the rights to use the songs in the movie to Sony/Apple Records.

Best,
Jayne
Old 02-09-2020, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistersoul View Post
I saw that movie when it first came out in the theaters with a friend. When I saw the CEO-7 I pretty much yelled out loud, "I have that guitar". I had just purchased it earlier that year. It is an amazing guitar, but I have to correct one thing. It's mahogany, not rosewood. I really did enjoy the movie
I yelled the same thing! I love my CEO-7. It was my 40th birthday present to myself. 😀
Old 02-12-2020, 01:59 PM
Charter Member

Thanks mistersoul, for bringing this thread back to the top... I
watched the movie on Amazon this morning, it was fun...

-Mike
Old 03-09-2020, 06:52 PM

With some obvious interest herein about new movie discussion I wanted to jump-start this thread. Wade, thanks for getting this going originally. Since the movie was released nearly 9 months ago there are numerous ways to now watch. If you haven't seen it, it is a great idea about what most believe to the greatest music catalog in the world and what could have....... I couldn't care what guitars were used but the choice of the Martin CEO-7 worked great. The movie worked great for what it was without going off into the weeds of "what if" . Kate McKinnon was flawless as always and Himesh Patel was wonderful as well. If you haven't seen Yesterday, pop some corn, sit back and enjoy a fun film about great music that transcends almost the entire planet. Any of us who began playing as kids have had the exact experience that Jack had in the living-room and the scene with Jack, Ed Sheeran and Jack's dad was priceless as well as things like that happened to me as a young journeyman when someone would come by the house after sessions. It was a woefully under-marketed movie that did very well at the box but could have done double. I believe.

Last edited by ManyMartinMan; 03-09-2020 at 11:38 PM.
Old 03-10-2020, 12:50 AM

Is that a Tanglewood guitar early on in the movie?
Old 03-10-2020, 07:01 AM

Just answered my own question by watching the opening again ! Tanglewood.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion