The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-31-2018, 09:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
Thanks for the links!

I've recorded a guy who had one of those, and his was a higher-register situation. As is the Mexican sawed-off 12-string, whatever those are called. I'm specifically looking for unisons on the fat strings in conventional tuning, if possible.
I have the Veillette Gryphon and it's a great guitar.

Unisons on the lower octave pair would be interesting. I'm assuming you mean standard E to e tuning. I don't think I've ever seen that, but it should be doable.
Old 08-01-2018, 08:39 AM

Sounds like you are independently thinking of "discovering" the Steve Tibbetts tuning. While he also tunes down and uses open tunings, he strings his 12-string acoustic with unison non-octave strings except for the low 6th string course (and sometimes the 5th course).

Makes for a very nice sound. Loving his music so much I decided to take my old all-laminated Cortez 12 string and convert it to Tibbett's tuning. I keep it tuned in standard tuning a whole step down (D to D) and so far have left the octave strings on the 5th as well as 6th string courses.

I choose to experiment with this guitar because it's an old cheapo and because it has a zero fret, which makes variations in the nut slotting not very important. So far it hasn't folded up, exploded, or shot the bridge at my fretting hand

Here's what it sounds like:

Prologue to the Canterbury Tales in Tibbetts Tuning

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 08-01-2018, 09:30 AM

Kaki King plays a Gryphon 12 string that's made to be tuned in unisons.

http://www.veilletteguitars.com/acoustic_gryphon.shtml

I think Dave Matthews has one too.
Old 02-13-2020, 10:08 AM

Reviving an old thread ... because I found it useful when searching.
I have a Taylor 12 string - relatively inexpensive and good.
Then I got a Lowden brilliant 12 string.
I am a mandolin family player, so I like twin strings.
Interested in a 12 string unison guitar.
Newtone Strings advice was to use their Heritage Range ... lowish tension, and more importantly, even from E to e.
I have put two sets of 10's on (new nut) and tuned it to All Fourths. No threat to the neck, less tension than when it was octavestrung.
It's similar to my bouzouki/mandocello ... terrific to play melodically, with partial chords and drones across a few strings. Not sloppy, intonation excellent, a real addition to my collection!
Highly recommended!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion